VW Golf MK 4 Water Ingress - Perfection
Hi there,

My sister's Golf has flooded with water a few times. She took it to the garage, and they say there was a blockage in the sunroof drainage. They flushed and my thought that was sorted out the problem. As she drive the car home, she noted that all the car's carpet was wetted on the foot rest area (front and rear sides) juts under the seat.

Where is the leak comming from? My sister bought the car from new and whenever I sat in as a passenger I complain about a strange smell. Now it occurs to me that the smell is wet interior (like mouldy smell). Therefore the problem started from day one ownership of the car.

Please let us know where to look at next.

Regards,
VW Golf MK 4 Water Ingress - Halmer
More than likely leaking through the pollen filter at the base of the windscreen if past posts are a reliable indicator.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=35...2
although that post seems to indicate that it is not a problem with Golfs.
VW Golf MK 4 Water Ingress - Perfection
Thanks for your quick reply.

Do I locate the pollen filter inside the car or in hte engine bay?
VW Golf MK 4 Water Ingress - L'escargot
I had a water leak in a ZX which defeated the dealer. Eventually I found it myself. Behind the rear bumper the two parts of the body panel had a horizontal overlapping joint with the lower part outermost. There was a bead of sealant along the length of the joint inside the boot, underneath the carpet . In places the sealant had missed the joint and was allowing water to get into the boot. I sealed it myself with silicone sealant. I'm not suggesting that that is where you have a leak but it might be worth looking for that sort of thing.
--
L\'escargot.
VW Golf MK 4 Water Ingress - Dynamic Dave
Do I locate the pollen filter inside the car or in hte engine bay?

Info from the puravent website:

tinyurl.com/45g75