BHP loss?? - tokyo20
How many bhp does an engine lose in its life on average? Is there any way of keeping all the horses under the bonnet?!
BHP loss?? - John S
Well run in and well maintained engines can keep well up to the original bhp figure (and even exceed it) for a considerable period. Eventually age takes its toll, and valve and piston seal problems will have a significant effect. So it's a difficult question. Remember the Top Gear stunt when each presenter bought an old (very old) 'supercar'? In that case the loss was anything up to 50%, IIRC, mainly, it appeared, due to a combination of starship mileage and very dubious maintenance.

JS
BHP loss?? - y2k+4
Just out of intrigue, would the effect be similar on diesel and petrol?
BHP loss?? - L'escargot
In point of fact the available useable power may actually increase because internal friction losses decrease as the engine gets looser.
--
L\'escargot.
BHP loss?? - Morgie
As I understand it with diesels they get better as the engine loosens up with mileage and this is almost certainly the case with fuel consumption. I believe that owners of the new all singing, all dancing Honda iCTDI engined cars were very disappointed with there fuel consumption when they first got them but things have improved as the miles are racked up.
BHP loss?? - local yokel
I'd guess that an easy way of checking potential power loss would be to compare compression with the mfr's figure. Clearly that assumes all is OK on the fuelling side.