Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - corblimeyguvnar
Whilst working today a main dealer 'delivered' the owners Beema convertible after completing the MOT, being a nosey person I had a look at the invoice (owner, who is on hols somewhere expensive had given them a credit card number to charge to)

Is it me or does this sound a tad excesive
MOT - £50 plus vat, OK, nothing too serious there
Change a headlamp bulb - £25 plus vat, surely a bit high but they have to make up some money as they collect and deliver.
Xenon bulb - £107 plus vat, theyre having a laugh arent they!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They also noted damage to side wall on a tyre and damage to alloys as part of the official advisory on the MOT, I checked, am no expert but one of the guys I work with is very knowledgable on motors, there was a very small nick to one tyre, 5 mm, no depth (he said he couldnt beleive this would be put down as advisory note) and some light scratches, hardly even curbing to the alloys. Trying it on for a few hundred more quid?

But as long as numpties like the owner will hand out a blank cheque I suppose it will always happen, I was never a fan of main dealers but now I wont ever trust them, or is it just me?
--
Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Chas{P}
If the car had HID headlamps then £107 + VAT for a bulb is about the right price.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - corblimeyguvnar
NO WAY!!!, geez, I'm glad I cant afford an expensive motor, those sort of prices would make me super mad, even if I could afford it!
Surely there is no way a bulb, no matter how good (OK maybe a NASA space shuttle type headlamp bulb or something) could be really that pricey.
Ho Hum, you live n learn.
Cheers
CBG
--
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Bill Payer

Clearly.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Sprice
>> Drink Lager, Talk Piffle,
>>
Clearly.

Clearly? He's got a point actually. Over £100 for a bulb is a rip off, no ifs or buts.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Kevin
I got a pleasant surprise when I went to collect my XJ after it's last service and MOT in September.

The service receptionist said;

"I hope you don't mind but I've enrolled you in our Jaguar loyalty programme so the MOT was free and we've given you a 10% discount on parts."

The total cost was just over £200 which I didn't think was too excessive for a main dealer here in the wilds of Hampshire.

Kevin...
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Dynamic Dave
Is it me or does this sound a tad excesive
MOT - £50 plus vat,

The current advised fee for MOT'ing a car, is £50.35. Garages can charge below that rate if they so wish, but I believe aren't allowed to charge more than the advised fee. Given that the garage in question has charged VAT on top of the fee means that they overcharged him by £8.81

tinyurl.com/9hbj9
Change a headlamp bulb - £25 plus vat

Depending on their hourly rate, then this could mean that they took 20 to 30 mins to change the bulb. Given the lack of access these days, and in some cases having to remove bumpers and the like to change bulbs, I would say this isn't too expensive.

If the guy can afford the car (and expensive holidays), then he shouldn't have any problems paying for the maintenance of it. Probably small change to him anyway.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - L'escargot
the fee means that they overcharged him by £8.81

£8.40 according to my calculator ;-)

Assuming VAT was charged at 17.5%, £50 x 1.175 minus £50.35 = £8.40
--
L\'escargot.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Collos25
Nothing unusual in the bulb price having had to change a Laguna zenon bulb while on a trip home to Germany 185 euros I know you can buy cheaper but if your in a hurry the dealers can hold you to ransom.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - L'escargot
Assuming VAT was charged at 17.5% ...........

According to www.direct.gov.uk the MOT fee (maximum £50.35 for cars up to 8 seats) is not subject to VAT, so the OP's boss was not only overcharged but was also wrongly charged VAT.

(I've just checked my last invoice and I didn't get charged VAT.)

--
L\'escargot.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - Screwloose

The VAT rules regarding MOTs are [inevitably] a very complex subject and cause many problems for garages who aren't also testing stations.

My take on it is that if you make any sort of profit from taking a car for an MOT, a "trade rate" test for example; then the whole cost of the MOT and time is chargeable for VAT. [There's probably twenty different viewpoints on this - and that's just the VAT men...]
£8.40 according to my calculator ;-)

Yes, you're correct. I calculated the VAT on £50.35, not £50.
Main Dealer MOT - Taking the Mick or is - neil
>> £8.40 according to my calculator ;-)
Yes, you're correct. I calculated the VAT on £50.35, not £50.

Aha... so the VAT on 35p is 41p then? That'll be why petrol's got so expensive...?!

;-)
Aha... so the VAT on 35p is 41p then? That'll be why petrol's got so expensive...?! ;-)

I think I got my maths wrong somewhere. Adding VAT onto 35p makes it 41p (0.06)

No wonder the spreadsheet I created this morning for work purposes doesn't make any sense.