Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - RogerL
Why would a Vauxhall franchised dealer be selling an brand new right-hand drive un-registered Opel Astra? Could this be a car imported from Ireland which was destined to be re-badged as a Vauxhall but can't now because of the recent publicity given to this illegal practice? I'm referring to the illegal practice of re-badging, not the legal practice of importing. I'm just baffled.
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - alvin booth
Roger, three weeks ago on the A50 travelling east overtook two transporters full of Opel Astra's brand new with wheel trims off etc.
Said to the wife "can't understand that"
However Ireland never crossed my mind...
alvin
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - Mark
Going to Motorpoint at Derby I'll be bound.
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - ian (cape town)
RogerL wrote
I'm referring to
> the illegal practice of re-badging.

Here all the kevs rebadge their opel corsas as vauxhalls!
The spares shops sell all the badges!
Weird, innit?
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - T.Lucas
Probably not too much longer and GM will dump the irrelevant Vauxhall brand anyway.
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - RogerL
Opel Astras on transporters are no doubt built at Ellesmere Port and being shipped abroad, either Ireland or mainland Europe. The same anomaly that we no longer build Fords in the UK but we do build Opel, Nissan, Toyota, Honda !

But why is Vauxhall condoning the sale of "imported" Opels at franchised dealers?
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - Moosh
Nissan Primeras built in Sunderland, transported to Liverpool, shipped to Belfast, transported/exported to Southern Ireland, then imported back again to Belfast, shipped to Liverpool, transported to carsupermarket and sold cheaper than the main agent in Sunderland.

Daft ?
Re: Vauxhall Dealer selling imported Opels - John S
Roger

Interesting. Certainly Ireland is a key source of Opel badged imports. As for a Vx dealer selling it - I was recently told by a Vx dealer that they 'wouldn't offer the same price for an Opel import as they would for the equivalent UK Vx as they couldn't put it on the forecourt'.

Maybe times are changing.

Regards

john