Head-on collision: video clip - Lounge Lizard
www.nothingtoxic.com/uploads/c9345aac15c2c0d6432e3...v

The above link is to a disturbing (but not gory) video clip.

It depicts an actual head-on collision between a limousine and a car. The limousine chauffeur and his 5-year old girl passenger were killed instantly (the 5-year old girl was decapitated). The car driver survived and is in custody.

The accident was caused by the car driver drunk-driving on the wrong side of the road; the limo chauffeur had no time to do anything to avoid the car.

This story resonated with me because something similar (on a much smaller scale) almost happened to me 2 years ago: I made a post here about it entitled (rather flippantly) "Small earthquake in Chile, no casualties", a pun to emphasise that it was a scary event but I got away with it with nothing worse than a clipped bumper. In my case, the other driver was on the wrong side of the road and had no insurance. The police weren't interested; and it was in the days before I had a flash camera phone (which I could have used to photograph the other car on the wrong side of the road after the accident).

Has anyone got any thoughts on the feasibility of installing grille-mounted (or dashboard-mounted) video cameras? Similar to what the cops use.

Head-on collision: video clip - pmh
Camera issues discussed previously
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=45361&...e

This video brings home the fact that size does not count for everything in terms of survivability in a crash.
--

pmh (was peter)

Head-on collision: video clip - Simon
A lot of the common service buses nowadays have cameras mounted in and around them, not only to video the passengers and what they are getting up to inside the bus, but they also video the front view from the dashboard and the rear view of behind the bus. You are likely as well to be on tape as you are paying the driver for your ticket or showing your pass etc. Most of these cameras are covert so that you won't actually notice them.
Head-on collision: video clip - PoloGirl
In the light of this:

"The car driver survived and is in custody."

The following statement worries me while the case is active...

"The accident was caused by the car driver drunk-driving on the wrong side of the road; the limo chauffeur had no time to do anything to avoid the car"

I can't open the clip so I'm kind of working blind, but until someone tells me otherwise, this thread is locked.

PG