Shock absorbers - bikemade3
Advised today that my Mondeo TD has a broken front spring, tempted whilst changing front springs to replace both shocks, car has done 117K . Any particular brands/ makes that are better than the rest?
Shock absorbers - Hamsafar
Each make usually has 2-4 different types/qualities...

Standard oil-filled
Premium gas filled
A better gas filles with special valving (differs between makes, Monroe Sensatrac/Reflex etc...)
Speciality ones such as adjustable or coilover.

Shock absorbers - L'escargot
The most suitable, and perhaps even the cheapest, would be a genuine Ford spare.
--
L\'escargot.
Shock absorbers - Ruperts Trooper
Even "ordinary" cars have gas-filled dampers, I'd expect the Mondeo to.

KYB dampers seem quite cost-effective - I would expect a franchise dealer to be the most expensive.
Shock absorbers - yorkiebar
Not many cheap unknown brands of shocks available anyway.

Buy a good pair of the same brand, would recommend gas and should be ok .

Doubt if Ford are the cheapest (and they dont make their own ! )
Shock absorbers - grafen
KYB dampers seem quite cost-effective

I'll second that. Have fitted them in the past - good price & better performance than originals.
Shock absorbers - LeePower
I hope you mean a pair of genuine Ford spares.
I agree, always fit a pair !

But, yet again, my pet hate ! What is a genuine Ford part when they dont make any parts ?

Just a label on a quality part available elsewhere generally cheaper. !
Spax, Monroe, Gabriel, Boge all quality brand names to look out for.

Pop down your local motor factors ( No I dont mean Halfords ) & price up a pair of shocks.

Shock absorbers - Lud
By the way bikemade3, congratulations on your decision to fit new dampers. Shot dampers are almost universal on cars of that mileage, and the MoT test only fails them if they are actually leaking. The standard 'bounce test' on each corner is a joke. Ordinary friction in bushes etc. provide enough damping for that.

The car will reward you by driving much better afterwards.
Very good comments Lud !
Shock absorbers - quizman
You seem to know a lot about servicing and oils, Yorkiebar. I want to change the oil on my Landrover and would like to know whether to use genuine filters or Coopers filters which are much cheaper.
What I would like to know is who makes the genuine parts, because everyone says use good quality parts, but I have never seen a brand advertised as rubbish, except Ratners. So it is difficult to know whether you are buying good or bad if you don't buy the genuine stuff.

Your advice would be appreciated.
Don t know who makes (made ?) filters for Landrover but filters from the following would be acceptable to me. Not listed in any order other than my preference.

Mahle, Crosland, Bosch, Wix, Coopers, Delphi, Motaquip, or from the dealer is acceptable but not usually first on my list !

There may well be other good makes (there are !) but not available locally to me so reeled off the ones I will use!

There are others I wont use, Champion, Fram, Masterparts, Unipart, but for the purpose of naming on here just because I dont persoanlly want to use them !

Curious, but dont want to start a long term war ! on what oil you use in Land Rovers !
Shock absorbers - quizman
Thanks yorkiebar, I'm interested on who makes the genuine stuff.

I'm using Mobil 1 0W/30 in the TD5, I got it from Costco at a similar price to Castrol 5W/30, which is the grade recommended by Landrover. It starts very easily on a cold morning.
I know Motaquip is part of the PSA Peugeot / Citroen group.
Should move this to new thread I think if any more discussions? Not fair on OP and his shox questions ?
Cheer team, just got the quote from "FordspartUK" the spring is £38.15 and the shock £21.42 each at that price i'll be changing the shocks as well.
Shock absorbers - volcane
I recently needed to replace a broken spring and decided to do the shocks at the same time, I fitted Monroe Reflex all-round along with two new springs and the difference is amazing, handling brilliant much more comfortable. In future I will replace all shocks at 60-70k as a matter of routine. (wish my brakes were as good!)
Shock absorbers - SteVee
If you fit new suspension parts other than manufacturers genuine parts, then you will probably need to inform your insurer. They may then withdraw insurance - many companies really do not like changes to suspension.

I had one inurance policy that needed notification if a non OEM exhaust system was fitted.
I changed companies once I discovered that !
Shock absorbers - Ruperts Trooper
Many owners use independent garages who rarely use genuine vehicle manufacturer parts. Are they uninsured? If we notified our insurers every time a non OE part was used they'd grind to a halt under the paperwork!

If you take "modified" to it's extreme would you report new OE dampers, because it'll be a lot more effective than the dampers being replaced!
Shock absorbers - SteVee
>>Many owners use independent garages who rarely use genuine vehicle manufacturer parts. Are they uninsured?<<
They may well have problems if they made a claim. This would be a very bad time to discover that your view of modified differed to your insurers. Different companies have very different views on what constitues a notifiable modification. I now notify at *any* deviation from standard - and now keep my vehicles very strictly standard !

>>If you take "modified" to it's extreme would you report new OE dampers, because it'll be a lot more effective than the dampers being replaced!<<
I don't understand - do you mean more effective than not replacing the dampers ?
Replacing with OE dampers is not a modification - it's purely maintenance.

Notifying your insurer doesn't necessarily mean an increase in premiuim.
Shock absorbers - jc2
Ford do not require their dealers to use Ford parts for service or repairs, but if they don't,then the dealer is responsible for the guarantee on the not Ford.
Shock absorbers - Group B
Replacing with OE dampers is not a modification - it's purely
maintenance.
Notifying your insurer doesn't necessarily mean an increase in premiuim.

I fitted non-standard brake discs and pads on my car, which give much-improved braking performance. I considered phoning the money-grabbing insurance people and asking for some money back, because my car is now safer than standard. I'm sure they would not have appreciated my logic.. :o(
Shock absorbers - DP
the shock £21.42 each at that price i'll be
changing the shocks as well.

That looks cheap - is that for genuine "Ford" items?

The Ford factor I've used for donkey's years wants £28+VAT for genuine replacements, although they will often knock of 10% "for cash" if you deal in person.

www.tomoparts.co.uk/

Cheers
DP
Shock absorbers - bell boy
just been on that site dp and they want £32.63+ vat + delivery for a transit disc
ive just phoned my factor and am being charged £11.95+vat no delivery charge
so always worth checking at motor factors plus they often have special offers on
Shock absorbers - DP
Hi oldman - yeah they can be expensive for some stuff, but I used to live literally around the corner from them so never had to worry about delivery. I virtually drive past them on the way to work, so still call in in person where they often knock something extra off. For example, 5 litres oil, oil filter and diesel filter for the Mondeo for a round £20 instead of £25+VAT as listed.

But they couldn't get anywhere near my local factors for Fiesta lower wishbones or the CV joint and water pump for the Mondeo.

Cheers
DP
www.fordpartsuk.com/
Spring was about £44 from my local i know i phoned Saturday morning.