Mondeo td 1994 primer pump fitment - yogi69
Hi people, im new to the site and i am pleased to see so many helpfull people out there.

Anyway straight to the point, my misses has just purchased a mondeo turbo diesel 1994 and she's having probs starting it in the cold mornings. I went out this morning and it wouldnt start even after 10-15 attempts. I always wait fo the glow plug light to go out and yet it wont start. I lifted the bonnet and checked for any leaks etc but couldnt find any.

I used to work as a partsman at a local ford main dealer and new what the common faults were so i checked the primer pump. It took 3-4 plunges to get it hard and then it started first time. Does this mean its the primer pump for sure, if so i can get one asap but how difficult is it to fit, do i need to prime the new one etc.

Any help would be very appreciated because she keeps coming to me asking what it is and she needs it for work everyday. Many thanks.
Mondeo td 1994 primer pump fitment - defender
hairline crack in a pipe or a pipe rubbed through some where and letting air in ?
Yeah i thought bout that, is there a way of checking air getting in.

Thanks
Mondeo td 1994 primer pump fitment - Screwloose
Yogi

Those plunger diaphragm filter heads are a common source of problems on all cars that are so equipped. However; 3-4 pushes to go solid is not that abnormal, but if it always makes it start instantly - go for it.

Other possibilities are failed glowplugs; [BTW ignore that silly light - just wait 9 seconds between turning-on the key and cranking it. You'll hear the "click" when the glow-relay cuts off after about 12 secs.]

A filter head is not too hard to replace. Check that the cast-in flow arrows on the new one match the old; then remove the whole thing, wash the casing clean [old toothbrush] and then fit the [new?] filter on a scrupulously clean surface, making sure no grit contaminates any part of it. There's just one bolt down the middle; don't overtighten it and make certain that the new rubber seals are all seated nicely before tightening anything.
Thank you very very much, i still get staff discount so down to my local ford dealer it is.

Im sure this is the case so thanks your assistance and im going to attempt it today.

If this fails then yes glow plugs next.

Thanks again.