Replacement tyres? - mal
Having had 40,000 miles out of a set of Dunlop sport 300e 195-60-15-88H on my Civic, any tips for a good replacement set as the 300E's are now no longer available. I do not want noisy tyres but would like good wear out of them.
Regards Mal
Replacement tyres? - L'escargot
I was going to say Goodyear Eagle NCT5 but I don't think they're available any more. I imagine they've been replaced by Eagle Vector. See tinyurl.com/y3urp2
--
L\'escargot.
Replacement tyres? - Petrol-Head
Michelin are excellent on tractiona nd mileage but they are expensive, if you have a Costco near you they're really cheap there. I've got 4 Micheling energy for my old Fiesta and Payed £109 fitted, other tyre sellers wanted £180/£190. Just bought some for your Subaru got some Avon ZZ3's they seem to be pretty good but might not do the mileage you want.
Replacement tyres? - mal
I managed to find an independent outfit that would take my unused spare off me so I would have 5 tyres the same.
Pirelli P7's 4x £56 inc valve and balance. and 1 P7 swopped for my unused Dunlop 300E at no cost inc. valve and balance fitted to a matching new alloy that I bought on fleabay for only £25 inc .
Not a bad deal at all in my opinion .
Replacement tyres? - quizman
Mal, i'm guessing that you have got a Passat. I changed my Dunlop's for P 7's and really like them. Like you I have got a never used the 300E in the boot on a steel wheel. I didn't think of swapping it for a P7. It's a good idea to buy a alloy wheel for the spare. I cannot understand why the makers do not fit an alloy spare, there must be thousands of never used tyres which are getting quite old.

Would you tell us where you bought these tyres, or where you live. My tyres will need replacing soon.

Replacement tyres? - mal
Hi Quizman, I never thought of it before neither , it was the dealer who offered me the swap, but it had to be strictly unused.
I live in Northumberland and the retailer is,
www.foxhunterstyresandalloys.com
They are at Whitley Bay on Tyneside.
Replacement tyres? - mal
The car is a Honda Civic.
Replacement tyres? - L'escargot
I cannot understand why the makers do not
fit an alloy spare ..........

Because they cost more than steel wheels. Fitting a steel spare helps to keep down the cost of the car.
--
L\'escargot.
Replacement tyres? - quizman
Because they cost more than steel wheels. Fitting a steel
spare helps to keep down the cost of the car.
--
L\'escargot.

Do you know how much more an alloy wheel is to a steel one?

It is a waste of a new tyre to put it on a steel wheel which will only get used in an emergency. I'm thinking here of using up too much of the earth's rubber, CO2, energy to make it.
Replacement tyres? - doug_523i
I think these spares will soon go the way of starting handles, I've got a rusty spare wheel with an aged and cracked tyre on it because it's never been needed. It takes up space, adds weight, and costs to buy and maintain, why bother?

I see the Kwik-Fit van at work, and quite honestly if there was the demand I'm sure they could do this at the side of the road, like an AA/RAC type service.
Replacement tyres? - retgwte
i needed the full size spare to drive home and return from the place i left one of the alloys for refurbishment, would have been impossible with no spare wheel at all

i used to have a space saver (thankfully never needed to use it) and i know of people who have had to drive quite long distances limited to 50 mph imposed by such a wheel, dont think this is a safe way to travel

had probably one punture every other year on average, although probably a higher milage driver than most

would be very unhappy to have a car with no spare at all

however would be more than happy to have steel wheels rather than alloys if only there was a choice on the car i needed

so in short i cannot see spares going altogether

Replacement tyres? - LeePower
When I bought my 206 it came with the stupid noddy spare wheel.

Sold that on Ebay & bought a brand new full size steel wheel & tyre for £25, Used it once so far.

Cant see why Pug fitted a space saver when it fits in exactly the same size under floor cage as a full size spare.
Replacement tyres? - 659FBE
My towcar wouldn't do too well with a full load and trailer if it had a scooter wheel spare. A full sized spare wheel was part of the car's procurement spec., as were steel roadwheels. Thankfully, I managed to get the dealer to keep his alloy wheels and fit a set of nice, strong, damage-resistant steel wheels before selling it to me. (I knew that a tyre fitter would not re-fit the fairly worn front tyres, so I got 2 new tyres into the bargain).

My business is unconnected with motoring, but it was an education to see one of my customers having to 'phone for a low loader to remove his small BMW hatchback from my premeses. One tyre was shredded (run flat!?) and no spare was provided.