Cracked screen. - mal
Thanks to some idiot overtaking on the chevron markings on a single carriageway I now have a cracked sceen which needs replacing.
I have searched the forum on the subject and am a bit concerned about having a mismatched tint, i definitely do not want a screen with a "pink tint" fitted . The car is a 2003 Honda Civic.
Any tips as to what I should do next to ensure satisfaction. Will they use the orriginal fittings, clips etc. or do I need to make sure they supply new ones .
I am realy not lookng foreward to having it done as I feel it will not be fitted to the same standard as a factory fitted screen.
Regards Mal.
Cracked screen. - pmh
Dont worry! The benefits of a new screen outweigh any other concerns. It is the next best thing to a new car.
--

pmh (was peter)

Cracked screen. - AR-CoolC
Don't worry so Mal.

I've been working in the aftermarket automotive glazing trade for the best part of 15 years now. The company I work for works with only OES glass.

Cracked screen. - Big Bad Dave
Just to hijack this thread, I too received two tiny chips recently, one is barely noticable, the other is a tiny spider with four legs of about 6mm each. It's directly ahead of the passenger's nose, would that be an MOT failure?

I've had two replacement screens in the past, and they've been as new, I'd just rather not bother with the hassle.
Cracked screen. - mal
Mine sustained a crack that was 200mm long and when the aircon was next switched on it slowly travelled accross the screen.
As for the "pink tint" should I insist on a non heat reflective replacement ?.
I have not contacted my insurance company yet ( Hastings Direct ) so do not know who they will insist on doing the work .

Cracked screen. - Big Bad Dave
Yeah Mal, that happened to me in an XJS, I put the blower on and watched in amazement as the screen slowly cracked across the whole width accompanied by the sound of someone's tight pants ripping as they bend over.
You should always be given like for like when a screen is replaced, so if you currently have a standard no reflective screen, that is what you will have as a replacement.
Cracked screen. - Roger Jones
I think any crack over 10mm long is an MOT failure, in theory.
Cracked screen. - mal
Just a thought , am I correct in assuming I could be nicked if I drive the car in it's present condition as it could possibly affect the operation of the air bag in the event of an accident. We are using our other car in any case at the moment.
Cracked screen. - Group B
I once got a new Crooklok for Christmas so I went to test it out on a cold Xmas morning. My brother got in the car and turned the steering wheel, the end of the Crooklok only tapped the screen lightly, but an 8 inch crack magically appeared before our eyes. I only just managed to resist the temptation to tap the Crooklok lightly on the side of his head.
Seriously, give your insurance a ring today, pay a £50 excess, and you could have a perfect shiny new screen tomorrow with a minimum of fuss.
Cracked screen. - henry k
Seriously, give your insurance a ring today, pay a £50 excess,
or even a £75 excess
In theory the car is an MOT failure with a crack that size, but as long as the screen is intact (it is) and not masivly damaged (it isn't) then the police will do nothing.

I have seen reports where airbags have been deployed against damaged screens, and as long as the damage is minor (a single crack counts as minor) then is has no effect on the operation of the airbag.

I'm pretty sure the passenger air bag on the Civic is on the front of the dash anyway, so the screen isn't being used to direct the airbag during depolyment.
Cracked screen. - henry k
I think any crack over 10mm long is an MOT failure, in theory.

>>
a diagram etc
www.kwik-fit.com/mot-general.asp
Cracked screen. - L'escargot
I've been told (but I've no proof) that Autoglass uses only glass from the same manufacturer as the original, although the item will probably not have the car manufacturer's part number etc on it. The safest way is to ask the repairer where the glass comes from before you give them the order. If you're not satisfied then go elsewhere. Most reputable glass replacement companies (and there's no shortage of them ~ just look in Yellow Pages) operate mobile units and will do the job wherever you want them to.
--
L\'escargot.
Cracked screen. - LeePower
Previous Autoglass screens ive had fitted had Guardian as the brand on them, Seemed thin & noisy compared to the original OE glass.

Also Autoglass flatly refused to fit OE glass from the car manufacturer when I asked the next time I needed a screen.

No problem, RAC Autowindscreens soured a genuine screen from the manufacturer & fitted it 2 days later for the £50 excess.
The benefits of a new screen outweigh any
other concerns.

Not necessarily, in my experience. My car's electrically heated screen was replaced with a pattern part, albeit made by a company that claimed to be the largest supplier of OEM screens in South Africa, and it's not a patch on the original. Insist on a screen from the same manufacturer and to the same specification as the original.
--
L\'escargot.
Cracked screen. - mal
I rang the number on my insurance documents and was put sraight through to RAC Auto Windscrens and they are coming Friday to fit it, hopefully everything will go well. I did ask about the "pink tint" glass I read about in another thread and was assured it would be the exact tint as the original and not a heat relective type.
Cracked screen. - Marc
Did you ask the RAC to source an OE screen for you though (like Lee Power did)? Otherwise you may get an RAC branded screen...

Nothing wrong with that, but about two years ago when I paid out my own pocket for the RAC to replace a windscreen on a 95M Volvo we used to own they fitted a pink RAC one. I didn't have a problem with that, but judging from your post you don't want one of those.

I'd ring back and check if I were you.

RAC fitter was really good incidentally, did a nice job
Cracked screen. - mal
Thanks for that "nudge" Marc I have rang RAC back and they are sourcing a Honda screen for me. :-).
When the RAC guy rang me to arrange the job & I asked for a genuine screen he said no problem sir & then asked me 2 questions.

VIN number & colour of tint.

I gave the details & he rang back 5 minutes later to book it in.
Cracked screen. - Ruperts Trooper
ALWAYS check when booking the job just what colour tinted glass will be fitted. UK models may come with only one colour but if it's available elsewhere with different colours, glass companies sometimes get the different colour in.

Any Vauxhall with a blue tinted screen is non-standard as Vauxhalls are green, but I believe Opels in France use blue. Whether they were changed at owner request or just what the glass company had to hand, we don't know.
Cracked screen. - mal
New OE screen fitted on Friday no problems, thanks for all the advice and especialy the prompt from Marc .

Regards Mal.
Cracked screen. - Marc
Glad it all worked out for you the way you wanted
I'll make a mental note of the fact that RAC will (when pressed) fit an OEM screen.
--
L\'escargot.
Theres no need to press them for it, Just ask nicely & they will happily supply & fit an OE screen but it may take a couple of days for them to get hold of it.
Cracked screen. - mal
RAC called me back 2 hours after I changed my order to an OE screen to say a it was arriving the next day! No problem whatsoever changng my order.
That's what I call service.
Ill be paying them a visit tomorrow to get a new chip fixed thanks to a large stone bouncing off the screen tonight.

Always had brilliant first class service form them.
Cracked screen. - mal
According to my fitter it will only cost your insurace company £30, but that is a lot cheaper than a new screen if left to get worse.
Not stupid enough to leave it, rather get it sorted then end up with paying out the excess on a new screen.

Wont take them long to repair it anyway.
Cracked screen. - mal
I was saying it was cheaper for the insurance company .
Also cheaper for me ;-)

I can think of better ways of spending £50 then on glass excess
Cracked screen. - mal
I had to pay £60 :-(
Depends on your insurance company, some are £50 & some are £60 for the glass excess.
Cracked screen. - mal
And just as well it doesn't affect our NCD!.............or will that come at a later date.
They say it wont affect the NCD, also never had a glass claim show up at renewal time on the documents either

Cracked screen. - mal
Sorry ,I meant the possibility of the ins companys introducing a change in the NCD in such claims sometime in the future.