Stuck Xantia rear door + an MOT? - ChrisP
Hello to all,

The deadlock on my n/s rear door appears to be stuck on as under no circumstances will it open (following a period of sometimes working, sometimes not). Have managed to get the interior trim off, which wasn't the easiest of jobs and at the expense of a few trim clips :-( but having previously assumed a separate solenoid would operate the deadlock (so I would be able to disengage it), it seems the lock is an all in one affair.

Does anyone have any tips on how to either:
1. open the door
2. get the lock to a state where it will lock normally but without deadlocking i.e. effectively make the deadlock disabled.
I assume a total fix will require replacement of the locking mechanism but this is impossible with the door stuck shut.
And yes, I realise now that I should have fixed it while it was working every so often!!

However, the most important question follows here - will the car pass its MOT tomorrow with a rear door stuck shut?

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Re: Stuck Xantia rear door + an MOT? - David W
Chris,

I am no expert in every dusty corner of the MOT regs but think that the sole check should be that the door latches securely, unless there is something regarding exit in case of emergency...but for a back door??

Hope it passes OK anyway.

As regards the repair I haven't had one fail yet, in fact I've never needed to go into the rear door of a Xantia.

If you have the interior trim off then you can remove the exterior handle assembly without opening the door, can't you then trip the lock to open by force...after all you'll need a replacement lock assembly anyway. If you can't trip it I guess you'll need to smash away the electronic part of the lock (plastic housing?) and move the release lever by hand.

Interested to know the outcome.

David
Re: Stuck Xantia rear door + an MOT? - ChrisP
Hello,

Thanks for your input David.
I've been in contact with the garage, who usually do the things I'm not capable of, and apparently the car will fail if the door cannot be opened, although why this is so important with a back door I'm not sure. I guess its an immediate exit thing.

I haven't tried removing the exterior handle yet as I wanted to wait till the weekend so the lock can be brutalised without needing to be secure immediately afterwards!! Access from inside is a no go, as removal of the guide runner for the window is needed to get a hand inside and this can't be done with the door shut!!

The nice folks at citroen tell me a replacement mechanism is 70+vat!! None of the usual places I get parts from stock them.

Will keep you posted! Aside from this, it should pass ok :-)
Ironically, I had the same problem with central locking failure on a 309 some years ago although access was much easier on that and the lock was destroyed to open the door. And, it didn't cost nearly as much for a new one. Ho hum.

Chris
Re: Stuck Xantia rear door + an MOT? - neil
Before you smash ANYTHING, try this - may work, may not. Worked several times on Cits (ZX's) with exact same symptoms:

The door probably isn't quite shut onto the second 'latch' position. Carefuly avoiding anything which could be construed as applying pressure or blows to the metal panels, (which are in fact made of solidified Brie, or tinfoil, or somesuch) hit the lower part of the glass hard with the heel of your hand - either a blow or a hard, sharp press. Smart money is on the blow! Then try your door handle - outer or inner - and either you will be amazed and delighted or you will feel fuly justified in venting your spleen with the angle grinder or whatever it was you're about to attack the poor thing with!

Good Luck
Also - definite MOT fail. On the door being stuck (unless, as I hope, it now isn't!) And probably a hatful of other things - but they're still a great car!
Well? Did it?
Congratulations!
Re: Stuck Xantia rear door + an MOT? - ChrisP
Hello all,

Well well well, luckily for me, although after all the effort of getting the trim etc to come off with the door shut, the door managed to un-deadlock itself while I was driving to pick up a new lock mechanism late Friday afternoon!!! Typical. Perhaps as neil suggested, it just needed a bit of bumpy persuasion (especially as the suspension isn't as soft as it could be at present).
So, although I'll still have to fit a new lock to stop this happening again, the car now has a nice new shiny MOT with absolutely no problems found. Well chuffed.

Must now remember not to deadlock the doors until I fit the new lock.

Cheers,

Chris