Mondeo underbody question - John Wall
Hi guys

I've got a 97 Mondeo 5 door hatch and I looked underneath today to see what I can only describe as a 6 inch sq "fabric" mat hanging down from the chassis of the car.
Its on the passenger side just behind where the suspension parts are.
It is securely pegged at its top and appears to move back ie presses against the car underside when driving forwards.
Any ideas what this is?

Thanks
Re: Mondeo underbody question - Big Vern
Is it a black mat covered in a tar like substance? If it is it may be sound deadining material....... although this is usually hard / stiff when cold..
Re: Mondeo underbody question - John Wall
Not really black but more in line with the rest of the colour of the underside - sort of a muddy brown.
I have noticed similar bits on Saab 900's - they have them underneath on either side though these are visible from the side of the car.
It is waterproofed -yes
Re: Mondeo underbody question - Double Decker
John

Surely the Saab flaps - assuming that they are not left over from the 900/jet fighter advertisement! - are some sort of mud/spray flap? There's never a Saab 900 around when you need one, so I can't check ....

DD
Re: Mondeo underbody question - John S
DD

Yes, they are, and they're made of stiff plastic. They scare the life out of you as they ground when you crest the ramps in multi storey car park.

I don't believe Mondeos feature them and the loose deading/insulating material seems the most likely answer.

regards

John
Re: Mondeo underbody question - John Wall
Just to tie this one up as it were :0)
I had a look under another Verona , same colour and mileage as mine and it had a flap hanging down as well - must be that year then.

Thanks for your help guys

Regards

John