De-coke methods. - David W
OK so I know we don't have to do this on modern cars but on another thread I noticed *terry* mention his old Anglia vacuum operated wipers.

By chance this morning I was reading a September 1953 Popular Mechanics magazine (USA based publication).

In it there was a tip for an easy de-coke....

Remove the tube from your vacuum operated wipers and dip in a jar of Hydrogen Peroxide. Start and run the engine for a few minutes allowing the chemical to be drawn into the inlet manifold.

The theory was that the "supercharge of oxygen received from the hydrogen peroxide" would burn out any carbon deposits!

A very wide ranging publication perhaps best demonstrated by some of their in-house publications....

Hog profits for farmers.
How to build your own garage.
Mr Wizard's science secrets.
60 power tools.
How to tempt a fish (??)

Sounds like the sort of spread we get here.

David
Re: De-coke/Vacuum operated wipers - Union Jack
David

I always thought that these wipers also doubled up as an early form of fuel consumption indicator - dramatic reduction in speed of wiper operation going uphill, dramatic increase going downhill. On reflection that probably wouldn't have worked in the Fens ....

Jack

PS "Sounds like the sort of spread we get here" Are we talking Fens or Back Room - or both!? Can't wait for input on tempting fish.
Re: De-coke/Vacuum operated wipers - David W
UJ,

No I was meaning the spread of topics in The Back Room. There are a few tempting fate out here, but not fish.

David
Re: De-coke methods. - Ian Cook
David

Do you also remember the technique for injecting Redex directly into the engine. You couldn't do it on a single carburettor model because the engine would stop, but on a twin cylinder bike it was quite impressive.

A decent amount of revs on and a full stroke of the Redex gun into one carb, wait for the smoke to abait and engine to cough back into life on that pot and then repeat the treatment on the other one. Thing is, I can't remember why we did it. It just seemed to be one of those new ideas that caught on.

Closely followed by putting a little Castrol R in the fuel tank. What posers we were!

Ian
Re: De-coke methods. - Tomo
You could do it on a downdraught single carb car engine; you got a reasonable number of revs on and trickled the stuff in until things started to slow up, when you abated the flow.

Apart from Redex (upper cylinder lubricant) there was cans of stuff sold specifically to decoke, though I can't remember names at the moment.

I expect it's illegal now, like all other fun.
Re: De-coke methods. - terry
If only I'd known about this with the 100E !!

Head off, scraping piston tops to get rid of carbon. What a palaver! Mind you, there used to be something resembling UCL (probably was!) you could squirt into the carb then rev hard that was supposed to do the job. Made loads of black smoke I recall but I was never convinced of how well it worked.

Happy days!
Oops! Just read Ian's posting. I did this with the single carb.......

And isn't the fish thing something to do with the law in Michigan (I think) that makes it illegal to *pleasure oneself* with a live fish? Seems a dead one is okay!
Re: De-coke methods. - Double Decker
David

I think I alread knew what you would say and, thanks to Terry, you see what I mean!

DD

PS Terry -The mind boggles: what price piranha, whitebait, dogfish, to mention but three, but not to mention eels ..... ?
DD

There's a time and plaice for everything.

Ian
Re: De-coke methods. - Ronnie Courtney
Ian

Hwelp! I've only *just* responded to your point about the old ones being the best ones in the "Magic Fuel Gauge" thread!

What have you started! Mind you, your fishy tail plaices a different slant on things.

Good wishes

Ronnie
What have I started? I take sole responsibility!
Re: De-coke methods. - Mark (Brazil)
don't people carp on about nothing.

Come on people, no need to be koi.
Re: De-coke methods. - Flat in Fifth
Mind you its halibut of fun really.

Some old trout is going to get really haked off with this being off topic.
Re: De-coke methods. - Tomo
"Off topic" is indeed my sole comment!
Re: De-coke methods. - Saddam I Urwot
Time to scale this one down, boys. You are beginning to flounder. Better rays a new subject.
Why? We're having a whale of a time.
Re: De-coke methods. - ian (cape town)
Ian Cook wrote:
>
> Why? We're having a whale of a time.

But what is the porpoise of it all?
I think everybody is trying to skate over this issue here.

And not a single bloody mention of an Opel Manta, or a corvette stingray!
The End.
(In French: Fin)
Re: De-coke methods. - Mark (Brazil)
I'm full to the bream with these puns, for cod's sake, have you nothing better to do ?