golf mk3 - Some advice please. - fergy_man
hi everyone
i hope there is someone out there to help me out i'm interested in buying a golf mk3 and i'd like to know the following

how many miles in between cambelt changes
most common problems with them
what good about them
very kindest regards hugo.
golf mk3 - VR6
Check for rust in the following places:

1. Rear wheel arch, between bumper and arch
2. Door sills - underneath the rubber door seals (normall where there is a join in the seals, water collects and rust the sill)
3. Boot lid - under the number plate and also below the plastic trim where the lock is - this seems only to effect earlier cars for some reason.
golf mk3 - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Check that rear electric windows work.
I'd leaking rear brake cylinders as well on mine, but not easy to check.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
golf mk3 - Peter D
Corroded sump, corroded sterring servo pipes both from the pump and from the rack they are steel not copper. Rear brake flexi pipes only last 10 years max. Rear slaves leak at 70/80K Brake pipes are steel not copper or alloyed but I still like the MK3. Regards Peter
golf mk3 - DP
My father in law got rid of his P plate TDI last year. It had racked up 180,000 miles and still drove well. As well as a couple of the problems above, he also had to replace the central locking switch for the drivers door and a window regulator.

The mk4 TDI 130 he replaced it with, while being a great drive, has been nothing like as reliable.

Cheers
DP
golf mk3 - dieselhead
Cambelt change interval is 60k /5 years. Problems I had ...failed crankshaft position sensor and corroded rear disks/brake pipes. Coolant pipes were rusting but I coated mine in waxoyl and left it at that. Electric window packed up when a wire in the door snapped. minor niggles really. Rear window wiper arms break easily ,i had to replace it twice.
Quite good on fuel for a 2 litre (always seemed to average 36mpg) and very lively up to motorway speed then ran out of steam. I would imagine the 1.4/ 1.6 would feel a bit slow. Didnt use a drop of oil I think it would have run forever.
Not as nice to drive as the current peugeot 306 , felt a bit sktish especially in the wet
golf mk3 - Some advice please. - ggh1
2 L GTI. I replace my cam belt and pulley at 40,000 miles, VW recommend 60,000 miles.
Pros. Great 4 disc brakes on GTI and V6, best front calipers have a wire clip on them which can be seen through the road wheels.
Cons.
1 The car is heavy.
2 Short suspension travel, making for a nervous ride.
3 Single ignition coil can crack.
4 Front door lock links can brake, stronger replacements are available.
5 ABS can play up.
6 Auto clutch cable can wreck the clutch.
7 Engine speed sensor wiring can disintegrate with age.
8 My golf clubs and bag are too long to fit into the boot!
9 CV driveshaft boot below the exhaust can age and split.

I am happy with the car
golf mk3 - Some advice please. - ggh1
P.S. The two plastic water pipe connections that fit onto the cylinder head will need replacing when they start to leak. Just replacing the O rings does not work.