SORN - pugugly
Just looked at the thread down the pages, and I apologise for starting a new one but I thought it deserved flagging up here. In my opinion (usual disclaimer c**P) as with all things excise, the burden of proof is on the person making the declaration. i.e. you say you sent it, they say they never got it they win. I would suggest to anyone using SORN to use the Post Office's "Proof of Posting" scheme when sending ANYTHING to to DVLA, especially these days as a faliure to do anything that is a statutory requirement results in a fixed penalty through the post.
Re: SORN - geoff
I would suggest even more belt and braces and go for proof of delivery.
Cost 80p and you can ring up and get confirmation that it has been signed for.
I use it for any disputed bills etc and it is amazing how you suddenly get sucess when POD rather than POPosting
Re: SORN - John Sales
If you hand the SORN in at a Post Office, they have to give you a receipt for it. There is no cost for this service so it saves the cost of Recorded Delivery, etc.
Re: SORN - Alyn Beattie
It is my understanding ( also disclaimer c**p ) that proof of receipt at the DVLA is no defence. How can you proove what was in the envelope ? I seem to remember reading somewhere that if it is not entered on their computer they did not receive it
Re: SORN - john kenyon
Alyn Beattie wrote:
>
> It is my understanding ( also disclaimer c**p ) that proof of
> receipt at the DVLA is no defence. How can you proove what
> was in the envelope ? I seem to remember reading somewhere
> that if it is not entered on their computer they did not
> receive it

I flagged that one up donkeys ages ago.

You are liable for a fixed penalty in the following circumstances:

You don't bother declaring SORN.
Post Office loses form
DVLA Droid mistakenly bins your form along with the one
on top which did get keyed.
DVLA Droid keys in second letter of registration incorrectly.
DVLA Droid failed to complete yesterday's batch, and the form
gets sweeped into the round file by the side of the desk.

As mentioned elsewhere, the only conclusive way to "do" SORN
is to fill in the V11 and take it down the Post Office and
get a receipt for £0.00.

/john
Re: SORN - Double Decker
Come on DVLA - there must be *one* of you whose computer surveillance software is triggered off by DVLA and associated references who can provide a definitive answer, anonymously of course!

Or is DVLA a bit like that splendid thread about multi-talented transport ministers who don't have to know anything about driving. Only joking, I'm just off to the post office for a receipt ....

DD