the most useless thing put in a car - Westpig
what do you consider to be the most useless item a manufacturer has put in a car.

I don't mind starting with 'voice activated controls' for the stereo & climate etc........ i can never remember the exact wording i'm supposed to use and had to sit for an hour or so when i first got the car talking seemingly to myself so that the thing understood my voice........confirmed what the neighbours had been increasingly worrying about

can't imagine why anyone would ever pay for this as an option (was already in the car when i bought it)
the most useless thing put in a car - Nsar
I'm at a loss to understand why my Subaru has got heated wiper blades. If it's cold enough to freeze them to the screen then you can bet that the washer nozzles (unheated)and the water in the pipes feeding them will be frozen.

the most useless thing put in a car - Lud
Not if you put the right additive in the washer bottle Nsar...

The interior lights in most cars are carp. They even were in my R Type Bentley which had several of the things, but it was still all a bit dim and soft focus, flattering to old babes but otherwise useless. All cars actually need a bright light for reading dog-eared copies of the A to Z when you're late for dinner in some obscure bit of town, or lost on Dartmoor. It should be in the front and in the middle, so that either the driver or front passenger can use it. It should also be directional so that if the passenger's using it the driver can still drive. The other thing cars need but haven't got is a wastebasket. Door pockets fill up with carp otherwise.

Sorry to invert the thread like this.
>>Not if you put the right additive in the washer bottle Nsar...<<

But if did that then I'd just squirt the jets - no need for heated wiper blades!

I've never known any mix of prevent nozzles freezing
the most useless thing put in a car - BB
.............but it was still all a bit dim and soft focus, flattering to old babes but otherwise useless..............

Nice one Lud!
the most useless thing put in a car - owler
( Agree Lud, additive wil fix the issue and may I add...where the blades sweep the wet-film is quite thin, so a greater Wind-chill factor - hence (I suppose) heating the blades is marginally better than not heating them. These things sometimes need a bit more delving, eh? )

Interior Lights:
My old Lancia (no jokes, I'm new here), has centrally mounted soft-light about 2" square opal - and a separate rotatable spot which is mighty bright on said A-Z although I will use close-up glasses to maintain my distant vision. The opal light is also controlled by the doors. Both rear seats have similar arrangements. Maybe I was jsut lucky and the next model will miss them off.
Can't really beat a magnifying glass with built-in LED lighting, about 5" Dia is ideal.... Is that yr solution?
the most useless thing put in a car - jdc
Are you sure the blades are actually heated ? I thought it was the bottom of the screen.

My Outback has a narrow strip along the bottom of the windscreen that is heated - it's very useful on frosty mornings.

jdc
JDC - I honestly don't know, what you write makes a lot more sense than trying to heat a rubber strip. I got the car in Feb this year so didn't really experience much winter and we haven't had any cold yet. I can't really see myself ever using it. If I thought there was a chance of the blades being stuck to the screen I'd dislodge them before starting the engine.
the most useless thing put in a car - jdc
Nsar

"If I thought there was a chance of the blades being stuck to the screen I'd dislodge them before starting the engine."

This is what the heated element in the window is for - it works a treat and you dont have to dislodge anything. Whilst you are clearing the other windows, pop this switch on and then you have lovely warm wipers ! If I remember rightly, your Tourer is similar age to my Outback (53 plate ?) so the switch should be down on the right from the ignition, near the headlamp adjustor switch.

If you want any help working out any other switches, just let me know !!!!!!!! (ony kidding ....)

jdc
jdc - I know you are a thoroughly decent chap so I'll accept your jibes with a smile - but if I'm scraping my windscreen anyway, then why ignore my blades and mess about with a little button that needs me to put the key in the ignition?

I am now with utter curmudgeonliness never going to press it. Not ever.
the most useless thing put in a car - psi
The "M" button on the BMW M5? why you would want any less power from your car is beyond my reasoning!
the most useless thing put in a car - IanJohnson
The front fog lamp switch on any BMW - why don't they just wire them to the side lights!
the most useless thing put in a car - local yokel
>All cars actually need a bright light for reading dog-eared copies of the A to Z when you're late for dinner in some obscure bit of town, or lost on Dartmoor. It should be in the front and in the middle, so that either the driver or front passenger can use it. It should also be directional so that if the passenger's using it the driver can still drive.

Just like the one in the 405, seriously, it does all you suggest.

As for my entry - the rear seats in a Nova - totally un-useable to anyone with lower limbs.
the most useless thing put in a car - Sprice
Never really seen the point of a dashboard illumination adjuster knob. I only ever have it on its brightest setting, but perhaps thats just me.
the most useless thing put in a car - 659FBE
"Space saver" spare wheel or, even more hopeless, the absence of a spare wheel.

the most useless thing put in a car - L'escargot
Never really seen the point of a dashboard illumination adjuster knob.

I agree. Mine is more trouble than it's worth because normal vibration always makes it rotate towards the dim position. I frequently have to turn it up again. And it was exactly the same in my previous (same model) car.
--
L\'escargot.
the most useless thing put in a car - mare
>> Never really seen the point of a dashboard illumination adjuster
knob.
I agree. Mine is more trouble than it's worth because normal
vibration always makes it rotate towards the dim position. I frequently
have to turn it up again. And it was exactly
the same in my previous (same model) car.
--
L\'escargot.

I disagree: I have the lights turned down, as i find the bright settings very distracting. In the Citroen, you press a button a number of times and the Almera has a rotary switch which doesn't move with vibration.
the most useless thing put in a car - oldgit
Never really seen the point of a dashboard illumination adjuster knob.
I only ever have it on its brightest setting, but perhaps
thats just me.

Yes, it's just you. Mine is set nearly at minimum on my new Golf otherwise I am distracted by the radio's over bright display (when on, that is). I wish the radio's display could be adjusted separately from the rest of the dashboard's instruments.
Yes, it's just you.

It depends on how bright the brightest setting is. On my car it's not very bright. On the dimmest setting it's only just discernible.
--
L\'escargot.
the most useless thing put in a car - owler
Sprice, I keep mine about mid-way - so the bulb will last longer.....I have no idea where I replace it and can bet it will be some funny fttiing which Halfords no-longer stock.
My Uno had a single lamp to light ALL switches and dials - in the dark when operated the button got brighter.....that was really clever. The whole dash was lit by many plastic fibre-optics (from one lamp) - that is really clever. I doubt if many owners really knew this. It improved reliability - those tiny bulbs are a pain, it improved energy (no switches sticking due to heat) and by making the one-bulb especially good, the reliability (chances of a failure) were much reduced.
For a small-car it was surprisingly advanced, IMHO.
yeah, apart from the token gesture of the rear "seats"? in an Audi TT the cup holder is spring loaded and throws any nearly empty containers out when you least expect it, and is almost impossible to change gear without elbowing it.

space-saver emergency wheels and foam emergency tyre repair kits are also just as disappointing to me.

Also, never had a car with a sunroof that didn't leak at one time or another.
oh, and another thing, I hate the over-zealous self-cancelling direction indicators on my Focus, and the Full Beam switch is a royal pain, you flash main beam too hard with all the lights off, and when you turn on dipped headlights, it is now set to full beam!!! grrr!!
the most useless thing put in a car - henry k
on my Focus, and the Full Beam switch is a royal pain, you flash main beam too hard with all the lights
off, and when you turn on dipped headlights, it is now set to full beam!!! grrr!!

>>
I agree. It is total rubbish. Why mess with such a basic feature.
the most useless thing put in a car - AlastairW
As for my entry - the rear seats in a Nova
- totally un-useable to anyone with lower limbs.

Wanna bet? On my driving test (1986) the examiners examiner came along for the ride and did fit inthe back of the D reg Nova Antibes I was driving.
the most useless thing put in a car - PhilW
Cup-holders
--
Phil
the most useless thing put in a car - George Porge
Front centre armrest in my MK4 Golf, can't use the handbrake or change gear when its in the down position
the most useless thing put in a car - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Automatic rain-sensitive wipers
the most useless thing put in a car - LeePower
Nothing wrong with the 206s rain sensing wipers or automatic headlights.
the most useless thing put in a car - Stuartli
A front seat passenger unable to follow a road map...

By the way the rain sensor on my Bora is brilliant....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
the most useless thing put in a car - madf
temperature and oil pressure guages.
madf
the most useless thing put in a car - bedfordrl
A radio in an old Land Rover....
I mounted indoor speakers on the door pillars in my old series two so i could hear it, good idea but i was totally deaf when i got to where i was going.
I was tempted to say the hazzard flasher button on the Cortina and early Mondeo.
What bright spark thought putting it on the top of the steering column rather than in the middle of the dash where both the driver and passenger can easily see it ( especially if it is illuminated) and operate it.
the most useless thing put in a car - Dynamic Dave
Air con in a convertable.
the most useless thing put in a car - LeePower
Speaking of convertibles, Peugeot 206 & 307 CC both have ultrasonic alarms, Cant arm the alarm & protect the cabin with the roof down.

Even 1990s Rover convertibles used microwave interior cabin sensors that could be used with the roof down so why cant PSA do the same in 2006 then?
the most useless thing put in a car - daveyjp
Air con in a convertable.

I thought that until we had one. It's very useful in winter to prevent windows steaming up. Canvas roofs hold moisture which causes interiors to steam up very quickly.
>> Air con in a convertable.

What's a convertible? Oh yes, take a saloon off the production line, chop the roof off, stick a few girders up its jaxie to stiffen it and slow it down, buy it a plastic mac, add 12 no 15 no 20 per cent, flog it to fashion victims, bobs yer uncle innit? Pity we forgot to take the aircon out, turn it inside out, put it in a box and call it a fridge, but we're fick innit?

Anyway that's more or less what it means now. In the old days all cars were floppy so it didn't matter so much.
the most useless thing put in a car - daveyjp
Front centre armrest in my MK4 Golf, can't use the handbrake
or change gear when its in the down position

On the A3 VAG have recognised this but you need to RTFM to know how it works to alleviate your problem. Put it all the way down, then lift it up an inch or two and push back down and it will lock in a slightly angled position - then all should be OK.
the most useless thing put in a car - Westpig
Put it all the way down, then lift it up an
inch or two and push back down and it will lock
in a slightly angled position - then all should be OK.

won't you get cramp?

the most useless thing put in a car - Mapmaker
FLOWER VASE

In a new 'Beetle'.
and the new beetle has the same handbrake blocking armrest as the golf. my old passats have also got an airbag in place of a glovebox, that's a real pain, especially when you look at how much room they had available to top mount the ruddy thing
To a non smoker - the cigarette stubber add on.
It makes the tiny rubbish bin a pain to empty.
I do like the hot ended cigar lighter thingy. That can be useful to deter those who shout at me through the drivers window ;-(
the most useless thing put in a car - DP
The roof on a Lotus Elise. Requires a degree in origami to install and once in place adds insult to injury by failing to actually stop any water from getting in.

Agree on the Focus main beam switch. A lot of Peugeots I've driven work the same way. I've gone to flash people out or thank them and ended up blinding them when the main beam stays on. Infuriating!

Ford almost redeem themselves for their excellent fog light switch though which should be a standard design on every car on the planet.

Cheers
DP
Ford almost redeem themselves for their excellent fog light switch though which should be a standard design on every car on the planet.
If it is the switch on the Mk1 Focus and my Mondeo then I certainly do NOT agree.

I am guessing that you like the idea not being able to leave fog lights on between car trips.

I have to switch the dreaded front fog lights on if I want the rear fog lights on. WHY?
I cannot recall the last time I needed any front fog lights on.
I say their logic is wrong. First switch position should be for rear lights and second position if you wish for front fogs.
The Mondeo switch is also positioned in a poor location and its action allows you to brush it with your knee, thus turning on the parking lights for which there is no warning buzzer when you get out.

Back to the drawing board???
I say their logic is wrong. First switch position should be
for rear lights and second position if you wish for front
fogs.
The Mondeo switch is also positioned in a poor location
and its action allows you to brush it with your knee,
thus turning on the parking lights for which there is no
warning buzzer when you get out.

I was indeed referring to the aspect of the design which means you can't leave them on. One of my pet hates on the road is people driving around two days after a pea-souper with their fog lights on when, as Mr. Clarkson inimitably put it "The only fog within 100 miles is between their ears!".

Can't say either of the two above bother me personally. The company Focus I first encountered this on didn't have front fogs, so it wasn't an issue. Even so, if the weather is bad enough for rear fogs (about twice in the last year IIRC) it's no hassle to have the fronts on at the same time, and after 25k in the Mondeo, I've never caught the switch with my knee. I would agree though that it's kind of stuffed on its own out of the way which is odd on a dash with otherwise superb ergonomics.

Cheers
DP
Ford almost redeem themselves for their excellent fog light switch ..........

It's not excellent in the Focus ~ you can't have the rear high intensity light on without the front fogs. What's that all about?
--
L\'escargot.
the most useless thing put in a car - Stuartli
>>Front centre armrest in my MK4 Golf, can't use the handbrake>>

I have the same feature in my Bora - it can be folded all the way up between the front seats so that it doesn't interfere with the handbrake or changing gear.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Not so much a useless thing put in a car,

but doesn't the Honda Goldwing have an ashtray?
That's for those blazing cigar and joint stubs that cascade into the faces of decent honest bikers as they cruise down the motorways, DD.

Just because car drivers are slobs no one should imagine that bikers aren't tidy hygienic creatures.

I believe there used to be a racing Gilera with a dustpan and brush, small vacuum cleaner and mini-bar of cleaning products cunningly let into the side of the fuel tank, behind the logo.
the most useless thing put in a car - George Porge
Yes Stuart I'm aware of that, but in the up position its not an armrest is it? The hand brake is also the emergency brake, so with the armrest down the emergency brake (purely mechanical and does not rely on the brake hydraulics) is not usable and should be an MOT fail.
the most useless thing put in a car - Dipstick
" what do you consider to be the most useless item a manufacturer has put in a car."

If I can extend the concept of "manufacturer" to encompass "dealer", then the answer has to be Mrs Dipstick.
the most useless thing put in a car - wotspur
I remember 16 years ago visiting an extremely wealthy potential client, R.R, MERC AND Porsche on the drive.
However the item wasn't suitable however I got on very well with the lady and as I'd never sat in a R.R previously asked if I could.
She mentioned that when the salesman came to the house to show the EXTRA'S on the car, drivers lumber support, heat, etc, she asked if it was the same in the back.
The salesman replied quizzically "No, why"
to which she responded, "You don't think my husbands gonig to spend over X thousands of pounds on this model and drive it himself" - Fair comment
the most useless thing put in a car - BazzaBear {P}
"You don't think my husbands gonig to
spend over X thousands of pounds on this model and drive
it himself" - Fair comment

Funny, my approach to expensive cars has always been the opposite - why would you spend x thousand on a car and let someone else have the fun of driving it?
- why would you spend x thousand on a car and
let someone else have the fun of driving it?

Exactly! Although a chauffeur and a big long wheelbase luxo-barge might be nice for those days when you need to be somewhere and the drive would be completely joyless (motorway or big city centre in rush hour), or indeed if you've had a few in a bar somewhere, or simply can't be ar**d to drive yourself.

Much as I enjoy driving, I think I would employ a part-time chauffeur with a decent lottery win once the novelty of smoking myself from A to B in my Merc S65 AMG wore off.

the most useless thing put in a car - Lounge Lizard
Phil,

That isn't a cup-holder it's part of your CD player.
Surely it has to be the iDrive control system that is currently fitted to many of the new BMW's. Nobody that I know likes it!
the most useless thing put in a car - Peter D
I have a list of a few drivers that should never have been put in a car. Regards Peter
the most useless thing put in a car - Statistical outlier
My Accord has electric seats that don't have a memory function. I really can't see the point of one without the other, although I suppose you have more infinite adjustment this way...
the most useless thing put in a car - cabsmanuk
Remote control radio in an MR5 and rev counters in anything

Keep upright
the most useless thing put in a car - barchettaman
....Never really seen the point of a dashboard illumination adjuster knob. I only ever have it on its brightest setting, but perhaps thats just me....

I find it helpful to turn down the level of dashboard lighting at night on the Autobahnen, most of which are unlit. Makes a big difference to have less light blaring up at you from the console.
the most useless thing put in a car - Quinny
< snip >

Ah...it was all going so well... PG
What is an MR5, and why are rev counters useless?
the most useless thing put in a car - peterb
"All cars actually need a bright light for reading dog-eared copies of the A to Z when you're late for dinner in some obscure bit of town, or lost on Dartmoor. It should be in the front and in the middle, so that either the driver or front passenger can use it. It should also be directional so that if the passenger's using it the driver can still drive."

Lexus IS250/220s is the answer. Has "normal" interior light but also four bright, directional lights (one per seat).
the most useless thing put in a car - cabsmanuk
Sorry, that should have been MX5.
As for rev counters, in my opinion they're useless because I have never needed to act on the information they give me. If I'm accelerating through the gears I don't have to consult the rev counter before I change up. If I'm maintaining a steady speed then I'm either in a suitable gear or not in which case I will stay in that gear or change gear, the decision will not be influenced by the rev counter. Perhaps I am experienced enough (or have an instinctive empathy with engines) not to have to read the rev counter before changing gear.
Maybe there is a use for a rev counter, let me know and I'll give it a go.

Keep upright
Hmmm. I see your point, and I would agree up to a point.
Once you're used to a car, then yes, it becomes second nature. Different when you first drive one though. I find it hard to believe that, every car you've ever driven, from the first moment you did so, you instinctively knew what it sounded and felt like just before the red-line.
Maybe they could fit them temporarily, and take them back after 6 months ownership ;)

If anything they're pointless because people don't use them to learn anyway. The amount of people I know who have a rev-counter, but still upchange at about 2500rpm when they're trying to make progress.
the most useless thing put in a car - machika
Instantaneous mpg readout, as in the Suzuki Swift. What a useless piece of information and very distracting. It can't even be deactivated.
the most useless thing put in a car - Pugugly {P}
I defy anyone to say that the rev counter in the Honda IMA is of use to man, woman nor beast. The bally thing barely moves.
the most useless thing put in a car - Group B
Maybe there is a use for a rev counter, let me
know and I'll give it a go.

They are useful when your speedometer fails, like it used to regularly on 2 of my my dads old cars, a Rover 820 and an Alfa 166. You then have to use the rev counter because you know that if you stick to 'x' revs in 4th gear, etc, you will not get done by a speed camera...
the most useless thing put in a car - Bagpuss
Centrally mounted instruments. Ruins a good car by giving the driver a mass of plastic to stare at where the speedo should be.
Centrally mounted instruments. Ruins a good car by giving the driver
a mass of plastic to stare at where the speedo should
be.

And of course means the passenger can see the speedo, which is almost always a bad idea. Now putting the speedo in a deep binnacle pointing straight at the driver and no-one else - THAT'S a good idea.
>>Centrally mounted instruments.
And of course means the passenger can see the speedo, which is almost always a bad idea.
Now putting the speedo in a deep binnacle pointing straight at the driver and no-one else - THAT'S a good idea.

>>
You mean like the Yaris ( often used as a driving school car in my area) ;-(
the most useless thing put in a car - IanJohnson
Autostore button on the radio - never ever used one!
Centrally mounted instruments. Ruins a good car by giving the driver
a mass of plastic to stare at where the speedo should
be.

Wholeheartedly agree. I can't remember how many cars that I have rejected because of the proliferation of this designer-driven nonsense.
Mounting the spare wheel ( if you have one) in the boot face side up thus wasting easily accessible storage space.
How much would it cost to have an extension to the spare wheel valve so the pressure could still be checked easily, even as an extra cost item ?
Is the usual arrangement just due to bean counters or have I missed something?
the most useless thing put in a car:

A space saver in my Vectra, when the spare tyre well is big enough for the standard sized roadwheel. Then having to store the polystyrene packer somewhere else that fills up the rest of the tyre well to stop the space saver slopping around.
the most useless thing put in a car:
A space saver in my Vectra

We Europeans know a thing or two about stinginess, but by God Uncle Sam can put us all to shame....
the most useless thing put in a car - NowWheels
My Almera has a "spacesaver" too, though I prefer to call it a spacewaster. The automatic Almeras all came with spacewasters despite having exactly the same-sized well in the boot as the manual cars (I checked at time of purchase). The result is simply more airspace under the boot floor, and when I had a puncture the wheel fitted fine in the hole.

I guess that this dodge saved Nissan about a tenner, but it would probably cost me about a hundred quid to buy the real spare wheel and tyre that would allow me to drive home in safety on the dark and rainy nights which punctures inevitably choose for their appearances :(

However, my prize for useless fittings in the Almera is the cigarette lighter immediately behind the cupholders. I like to set off on a long journey with a bottle of cold water in one cupholder and an insulated beaker of hot tea in the other ... except that if I try that, then I can't plug in my satnav or mobile phone charger. So the bottle of water rolls around the floor in the passeger's footwell until the tea is finished, when it is retrieved and the tea beaker slung in the back.

My Nissan dealer's explanation for this piece of clever design was that the lighter was intended as a lighter, not as a 12v power socket. Fair enough, says I, so if I smoke in the car how am I supposed to get at the lighter when the cupholders are in use?

Duh. It's a well-thought-out car otherwise, but it does amaze me that car makers spend squillions on developing new models only to go into production with silly little glitches such as this which could be avoided at near-zero cost by the momentary application of half a braincell. Maybe they were mentally exhausted after having invented the curry hook? :(
the most useless thing put in a car - Group B
My Nissan dealer's explanation for this piece of clever design was
that the lighter was intended as a lighter, not as a
12v power socket.

My Mums old V-plate Micra had no lighter socket/ 12v outlet at all. It had a plastic blanking plate where the socket should be - which was pretty useless. She was going to get an auto electrician to wire one in for her, but the car got written off before she got round to it...
the most useless thing put in a car - RichardW
Indicator switches on new Vauxhalls. The electric handbrake in the Renault Laguna. Weedy 1 litre engines. Coil springs for suspension instead of the vastly superior oleopneumatic variety ;-)

I find the rev counter very useful BTW - I look at it more than the speedo since it tells the truth and the speedo lies - much more accurate deduction of actual speed possible from revs. Also need it to make sure the turbo is spooled up before trying to 'make progress' - the engine in my 1.9TD Xantia is so quiet it difficult to tell by ear.... :-))
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Central locking in a Messerschmitt / Bubble car ;o)
the most useless thing put in a car - bell boy
agopolies if already mentioned but i put forward indicators,seing as they are being used by a smaller and smaller amount of people these days.
Is the new game to tease people at roundabouts these days and then turn off once youve made the waiting car stop because they didnt know where you were going?
is the new game to tease people at roundabouts these days and then turn off once youve made the waiting car stop because they didnt know where you were going

Spookily enough I was thinking about this this morning, I was that car on the busy roundabout waiting for the indicatorless clown to give me a rough idea about which way he intended to go. These people slow down traffic flows at busy times, they cause pollution and increase fuel consumption.
No indicators=straight on.

let=left, right=right.

With complicated huge roundabouts, signal appropriately, be in the right lane, use yereffin mirrors, don't be a whassername...

It is absolutely fundamental to all traffic driving to make your intentions crystal clear as early as feasible. One is never in much doubt as to what decent drivers are going to do next. If someone veers about in front of you on a huge roundabout going from lane to lane, brake lights and signals going at random, and you can't get past, be damn careful. The pfd is trying to get you to rear end him or her, really. Believe me.

If they succeed, please get out of your car and kill them immediately for the sake of the rest of us, if you think you can get away with it.
Well this clown was indicating left (for my turn) so I stopped, he carried on his merry way on around the roundabout. Wassock.
the most useless thing put in a car - Happy Blue!
Wassock.

In what way was he related to a priest's gown?

Oh! I see.................