Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - Mylor
My Astravan diesel started up today having previously shown no sign of trouble, however, the first thing I noticed was the Ignition light stayed lit, my thought was Alternator, but I then found that I also did not have power steering, so I am wondering if the fault may lay elsewhere, anybody have any thoughts on the problem. Thanks.
Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - LeePower
Battery warning light now stuck on?

When the alternator fails to charge the battery on the mk 4 Astra the electronic power steering pump is also switched off to save draining the battery.

Mk 4 Astra doesn't have an engine driven power steering pump, Its an electro hydraulic set up, Basically its an electric motor that drives the hydraulic pump that feeds the power steering.

Check the alternator is charging the battery first.

Fix the charging fault & the power steering will then work again.
LeePower, many thanks, it certainly looks as if you've put your finger on the problem, and beautifully explained as well, just to show my ignorance, how do I check the output of the alternator, or is this a job for a garage.? Could it be something as silly as a fuse?
Once again thanks for the informative response.
You need a multimeter with DC volts on it, Red test lead on the battery positive terminal & black test lead on the battery negative terminal.

The battery should read about 12.4 to 12.8 volts with the ignition switched off, If it doesnt then either it is very flat & needs charging or you have lost a cell.

Start the engine, rev it up slightly to around 2 to 2.5K rpm & check the meter reading again, Should be at least 13.4 volts & no more then 14.5 volts on the screen, Then turn on heated rear window, heater blower motor & headlamps to load the system & see if the alternator can still put out a decent charge to the battery.

A lot of fast fit places offer free battery / alternator checks if they think there going to be able to sell you a battery / alternator, Maybe worth letting them have a look at it.
Thanks for the great info once again LeePower, I'll try it in the morning and see what I have.

mark99, Ruperts Trooper and Dynamic Dave, thanks for your input too, I did check the belt and it is there and happily going round and round, like my head (-:
Hi LeePower, I ran the tests this morning, results thus;
Ignition off, battery reading 11.5v, Engine running, no change, raise tickover to 2k, no change.
It would appear that the alternator is producing nothing, I guess new alternator, right?
Is it difficult to change? I'm thinking there must be some sort of connection to the power steering isn't there? Thanks for your time.
The power steering pump is electronic, It will sense there is no charge / output from the alternator & will switch itself to OFF to save draining the battery further.

Im pretty sure its actually inside the passenger cabin inside the drivers footwell / dash area ( but dont quote me on that )

Ive never done an Astra alternator change, Have a look, does it look easy or would you be better off letter a mechanic change it for you?

Some alternators are very easy to do & others are a right pain, Ive no idea about this Astra.

Obviously if you do decide to do the job yourself, make sure you disconnect the battery first & you might as well stick a new belt on while its in bits.

Might even be worth ringing your local Vauxhall Master Fit & asking them how much to supply & fit an alternator.

Its now down to you & your abilities with the spanners, Also if it goes wrong can you afford to have the van off the road?
Thanks for all your input on this LeePower, down to me now as you say, one last question, if I may try your patience, should I do the job myself would I be right in thinking that after disconnecting the battery, the electronics would need resetting by a dealer, I'm thinking immobiliser.
Thanks.
No

The immobiliser should be fine, You would need the radio code though.

Also check the handbook about any special way to shut down the alarm system if fitted in case it is battery back up ( thats if this van has the factroy fit alarm )
Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - Dynamic Dave
Also check the handbook about any special way to shut down the alarm system if fitted in case it is battery back up ( thats if this van has the factroy fit alarm)

If this is the case, first loosen the battery connections but don't yet remove. Switch on ignition, then off. You now have 15 seconds in which to disconnect the battery. (hence why it's best to undo the battery contacts first so that you aren't panicking with a spanner whilst those 15 seconds are ticking away)
LeePower and Dynamic Dave,

Thank you both very much for your help, it is really much appreciated, I shall take on board your advice.

Mylor.
Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - adverse camber
have you checked the belts ?
some engines detect a missing / too slack aux belt. does the aux belt drive the power steering and alternator on that engine?
Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - Ruperts Trooper
Mark99 - LeePower explained above that Astra Mk4/5 DON'T have an engine driven power steering pump but your suggestion to check whether the alternator belt is a) present! and b) correctly tensioned is a good one.
Vaux Astravan 2001. Ignition light lit - Dynamic Dave
Alternator belt on these has its own belt tensioner.