Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - loop
My peugeot appeared to spontaneously combust in the drive after being at rest for an hour and a half. The fire brigade identifed the cause as a probable electrical fault in the light cluster. Independent engineer assigned by insurance co. said it appeared to be as a result of a fault in the wiring loom. However, due to the extent of the fire he was unable to pinpoint the exact location of where it started. My insurance company have said that since they cannot identify the exact cause then they have no case with Peugoet and are claiming it against my policy! I've asked them for a second opinion which they are not willing to supply so I am now trying myself to find an engineer who can hopefully identify the cause.
Has anyone had any experience of Peugeots going up in flames??? I know there have been recalls on older models for faults which may cause them to catch fire but I know there have been none issued on mine (Manufactured 2004). Anyone have any idea where I could get a reliable independent engineer to have a look at the car?
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - LeePower
There is a know issue with 307 HDI electric power steering pump & also the 307s ABS system & both had a re call for an injection of silicone into the connector plugs.

There is a new know issue with the front indicators playing up due to dirty / faulty electrical connections but that shouldn't have caused a fire?

But If the car was locked then the BSI unit is asleep & there should be no power to any of the lights.
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Pugugly {P}
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/search....p

Recalls on the 307
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Hamsafar
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand....7
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand....E

Oh dear
Peugeot where very quick to do both of these re calls & I cant see that being the problem here unless the fix wasnt done correctly.

Like I said above there is a new known issue with the front indicators & wiring but I cant see that starting a fire because there wouldnt be any power to the circuit when the car is locked & the BSI is asleep.
Where did you find out about the issue with the front indicators?
Where did you find out about the issue with the front indicators LeePower?
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
There must be some possibility of power to the lights as they can be left switched on, for parking, when the ignition is off and the car is locked, SFAIK.
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Collos25
Regular occurance in Germany it burnt down one guys house as it self ignited in his intergrated garage.The advice from the ADAC is not to park 307's in garages numerous blurbs from PAS have not cured the problem andas such certain insurance companies are said to be refusing cover.
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Collos25
Hers one on fire.
www.autobild.de/aktuell/meldungen/artikel.php?arti...9
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - DP
If that article is accurate, it's a disgrace.

23 vehicle fires in Scandinavia and Poland
No early recall issued in Germany because the climate conditions were deemed "more favourable"

It does however suggest only vehicles built before June 2003 are affected, so maybe the OP's car was built a little earlier than he thinks.

Cheers
DP

The 307 is all run on a CAN system & if the car is locked the BSI unit shuts the electrics down.

You can leave the lights on but that would mean turning the headlight switch to on which would then send a signal down the CAN & wake the BSI unit up again to supply power to the lights.

This 307, What engine is it? Not a HDI with FAP by ay chance?
I have a couple of friends who work for Peugeot.

It's a 307 S HDi 1.4. Not sure about the FAP - how do I tell? Can your Peugeot friends shed any light on the subject? Am waiting for Peugeot Head Office to return my call...
The FAP is the exhaust particulate filter fitted to some of the HDI models, Ive no idea if your 307 had it fitted though.

This 1.4 HDI was it the 8 or 16 valve engine?

If it does have FAP fitted then that can stay powered up if the car goes into a forced regeneration cycle when its parked up & left..

They havent heard of / seen any U.K. 307s catching fire.

Never looked at a FAP in the flesh, Need a Peugeot / Citroen HDI FAP owner to point out what to look for to see if this 307 has FAP.
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Don't know what a Particle Filter looks like buyt if you have one, you will also have a 5 litre tank for the EOLYS liquid. This is very near to the main fuel tank, semi clear plastic so that the fluid level can be seen. All will become clear if you can get the car on a ramp
8 valve, no FAP.

Insurance company have put the car in storage over an hour's drive away so can't access it too easily...
Is there any word from Peugeot? Are they wanted to look at the car?

How about getting in touch with VOSA

www.vosa.gov.uk/

Im sure they would be interested to know a 307 less then 3 years old decided to barbecued itself.
Peugeot have replied by email(!) today saying they will be in touch within 5 working days. Will phone them tomorrow though to urge them on.

Yeah, am gonna contact VOSA...and also watchdog
Peugeot have told me to take the case up with my insurance company, and since they're refusing to take it further I'm at a bit of a dead end. Have contacted watchdog now...
Ive also had experience of Peugeot customer service lately & to say im not impressed is a big understatement.

Peugeot will try to not get the blame put upon there car because it would mean paying out & also a possible recall on other 307s to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It would be brilliant if an inspector / engineer could find the fault that caused this to happen.

You a member of the AA / RAC etc? Can they recommend someone to look at the car in detail?
I'm in the RAC but they said they don't do detailed inspections and couldn't help. I followed a link on the AA website to DEKRA which sounded exactly like what I am after but when I phoned them they said they couldn't help - they only do visual inspections and given that I've already had an engineer do a visual and he was unable to identify it then there wasn't much point in them looking...

I'm really stuck for someone who's willing to inspect it! Anyone any ideas? The car is currently being stored in Galashiels...
Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - JimmyG

I realise that this is a very old thread but having recently suffered a total inferno-induced write off of my 307SW and the subsequent lack of interest from Peugeot, I decided to set up a consumer stories website to highlight the issue. I'd love to publish other's stories here : peugeotcarfire.com/

Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - slkfanboy

My neighbours car caught fire a few years ago, oddly enough it was a Peugeot 407.

The cause was identified as the starter motor jaming in. Overnight it over heated and the car exploded on the drive setting fire to their other car and their next door neighbours car. It was close to setting fire to the house also.

It seams in many cars there are no fuse in the start motor power leads as this causes to much power loss!

Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - mfarrow

Any fuse in a starter motor circuit would have to be several hundred amps big. That's more than enough current to cause a fire!

Peugeot 307 on fire!!! - Gibbo_Wirral

Could it have been a diesel runaway?

I noticed that your car was the 1.6 diesel, which are notorious for being unreliable if the correct oil isn't used or changed regularly.

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the car - how long you'd had it, service intervals, mileage, age and so on.

I've also shared your link on peugeotforums.com

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 11/05/2015 at 13:43