Small horse van required - colin-e
Having just sold our 7.5t horse lorry, we are looking for a smaller replacement and would love some input.

What we require is, ideally, a converted van with space to carry 2x 16.2hh horses plus tack.

As this is a wish list, the vehicle should be automatic; have a walk through to the rear from the cab; it should be not much wider than a standard van (due to the track-way it will be parked in); and be no higher to get in to than a Transit / Movano (my back problems are getting worse!).

The only no-no is anything Renault based - we've had bad experiences with Renault dealers and are not prepared to give them any more money!

Budget is around £15k (+vat if required, as it can be reclaimed).

Any suggestions for vans suitable for conversion, ready converted vehicles, or conversion companys would be welcomed.

And before anyone suggests it, yes I know I can fit a "small horse" in a Mini van!
----------------------------------
Colin-E
Small horse van required - Mapmaker
Go and join the Horse & Hound forum. You're more likely to find somebody who will have a sensible answer there.
Small horse van required - local yokel
Back pages of H+H will be a good start, or www.horsequest.co.uk - though you may be struggling with the auto box - diesel engines in vans are quite torquey, and they are not easy to mate with an auto box, added to which they are made to a price, and no fleet manager will pay for an auto.
Small horse van required - Hugo {P}
Very long wheelbase High roof iveco or similar.

It's a shame that you're avoiding Renaults. Have you considered the nissan Primastar or Interstar LWB with a high roof? That is Renault based but is Nissan badged. You deal with Nissan dealers, not Renault ones.

You would be able to come well within your budget for the Primastar but I don't know about the Interstar.

I'm not sure about auto though.
Small horse van required - Martin Devon
'tis stil a Renault Hugo.

Martin D.
Small horse van required - mare
Martin D.

It's actually an Opel believe it or not

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opel_Vivaro

Small horse van required - Dynamic Dave

Renault Hugo?

I've heard of a Renault Fuego, but not Hugo ;o)
Small horse van required - bradgate
perhaps you could put a "Wanted" ad in the Nag & Dog classifieds...
Small horse van required - R75
Whatever you get I have no doubts it will come without mirrors, will only do a maximum of 40mph regardless of the road type being travelled on and will manage to pull out just in front of me causing me to brake heavily to avoid a collision!!!!!!!!!!!!
There are some muppet drivers who forget they have horses on board - but not all of us are the same! (I was recently overtaken on a dual carriageway by a woman in a Ford Galaxy, who was towing a large horse trailer, and was going well in excess of 70mph - I was in the Celica at the time, so I wasn't exactly hanging around).

40 - 45mph is a sensible speed if you have animals on board, so as to cause them less distress, and to give greater "thinking space" for the driver; if you brake too quickly, you end up with a horse on your lap, and they aren't exactly light! - and yes, I do pull over regularly to let traffic past.

As for the suggestions for vans, they are much appreciated - I'll be off to the local newsie for a copy of H&H - and my weekly copy of the Autotrader!

Colin-E
Small horse van required - local yokel
Could you manage a VW LT35 cab? Nice six cylinder diesels, and a good one on Horsequest right now, in Surrey, close the bottom of the page, £8k on an M.

In my 7.5T horse wagon I reckon on 40 mph on single carriageway A/B roads, 50 dual and 60 M-way, but on lanes/twisty roads it could easily be 20.

I forgot to say 40 - 45mph on the open road - before I get complaints about speeding in a 30 zone!

Thanks for looking on Horsequest, Local Yokel - I'll run the suggestion by my wife - they are her horses after all!
Colin-E