Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - davidh
Hi All,

Thinking of changing my Rover 620ti and have narrowed it down to two choices:

51 / 02 Mondeo 2.5 ghia x

Or

51 / 02 Omega 2.6 cdx

Both will be noticably slower than the Rover, but will be more refined so it?s a trade off I'm willing to accept.

Trouble is I cant decide which one to go for. I know that chances are the Omega will have an auto box - is it possible to have fun driving a car so equipped are there any techniques to spice things up? -

The Mondeo is more modern and a sportier drive, but is it a bit humdrum? I like the Omega for its solidity and exec feel but does that translate into boring? I've had a 2.0 auto Omega which was quite dull in its power delivery - are the V6's more entertaining?

The spec on the Mondeo is staggering but I know little about the car as a package.

In my experience, Vauxhall Opel cars seem better built than Fords (well at least you're less able to see where corners have been cut)

Any advice between these two or am I considering apples vs pears?

P.s. Want to spend no more than 5.5K

Cheers,

David.
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - Gromit {P}
Mondeo V6 sounds great (used to have one as a pool car in a previous job), but I recall a road test saying that the actual performance wasn't much better than the 2.0 litre four-cylinder. Might be worth double checking that, unless its the V6 exhaust note you hanker after most.

I would have thought a Vectra GTS would be a closer comparison to the Mondeo than an Omega. Smokie the moderator bought one of these a while back and commented on it here in the Backroom - a forum search will point you in the right direction.

- Gromit
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - local yokel
I do recall some distant article being a bit rude about the Mazda-sourced 2.5 that is the Mundeo's V6. Clearly the Omega is a much bigger lump to haul, and so you'd expect it to behave differently than the lighter and tighter Mondeo.

I think you are going to have to get out and test-drive one of each.
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - DP
I think you are going to have to get out and
test-drive one of each.

I agree with that. Two very different cars.

According to one website I just found, the Ford V6 design came from Porsche, who sold it to Ford, who enlisted Cosworth to help design the heads.

I drove a mk2 version a while ago and recall that it wasn't lazy like a lot of V6's. It revs keenly and makes a wonderful noise. Not THAT quick though (or doesn't feel it, at least)

Cheers
DP

Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - cheddar
I have had a 2002 Ghia X from new though a diesel, great car well speced, one or two things to look out for though it has been excellent over 111,000 miles. I have driven a few Omega's and had a couple of Vectra's including a V6 (same engine, other way around).

The Mondeo is a more modern car, much sharper to drive than an Omega, the Mondeo V6 is also more refined and has the benefit of being chain cam, the cam belt change on the Vectra was rather pricey! On the other hand the 2.5 Vectra while a bit gruff at low revs was more gutsy in the low to mid range.

I would have the Mondeo over an Omega though you could consider an '02 on Vectra 3.2 V6 if you want a punchy V6 at a good price.
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - PW
Just to add to Cheddars comment as an ex Mondeo driver. The current Mondeo is a very big car so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have similar dimensions to the Omega.
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - Ruperts Trooper
Cosworth do engine design work for most manufacturers, not just Ford. The Vauxhall 16v heads were designed by them and the early versions in Astra and Cavalier were built by them as well. The Vauxhall V6 has much in common with the smallblock 16v Vauxhalls (1.4/1.6/1.8) so Cosworth may well have designed that.

Mondeo vs Omega - you really are choosing between apples and pears so test drives to evaluate against your own priorities are the only way forward.

You might get a fairer test if you included the Vectra V6. If you want to retain most of your 600ti's performance, don't ignore the Omega 3.2
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - Dynamic Dave
I would have thought a Vectra GTS would be a closer comparison to the Mondeo than an Omega. Smokie the moderator bought one of these a while back ....

Smokie bought a Vectra 3.2 Elite.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=44809

Vectra GTS? Was that a Typo error?
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - Micky
A Mondeo is one of the few cars with even less charisma than an Omega, and yet the Mundano out performs all its competitors in the crucial areas. Odd how the Mk3 Mondy is now perceived to be a competitor to the Omega and not the Vectra.

I found Omega seats to be a pain the backside, and the handling was very threepennybitish. Still, a nice way to wile away the motorway miles.

51/02 cars should be peanut prices by now, you'll be able to name your price for the Mondy and the Omega. Throw in another 1k and you could buy both!
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - sine
There are a reasonable number of 2.5 / 2.6 manuals about and it shouldn't be too hard to find one. At least 1 in 10 CDXs will be manual.
Auto is just as fast as manual for 'normal' driving and smoother for passengers.

The V6's have some variable length induction manifold trickery which aims to give better performance across the rev range. The mondeo may also have this though.
2.0 must be a dog to drive. V6 will be much better.

Main difference between them is omega has rear drive (with the usual advantages and disadvantages that brings) and it does not have rack and pinion steering. It has the old fashioned recirculating ball.

The omegas rust badly on the rear doors and rear arches so check these carefully for haggling purposes. On a car this new the arches should be fine but the doors may not. The door tends to go at the bottom corner near the drivers door and at the back around the wheel - it has a rubber cover on the join and these collect dirt and are a real rust trap. If you wash these areas every so often it will help

I don't know about Mondeo prices but Omegas are really cheap. If you happen to be near Hook This guy below has had the same one for sale for about 6 months and it was £4,999 originally (now at £3,299). Doesn't quote the mileage on any of his cars though.
www.autosalesathook.com/new/Prestige.htm

As others have said, have a test drive of Auto and Manual options of both.
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - scotty
Yes, quite different cars. Lot of focus on the engines so far, but remember that the Mondeo is front wheel drive and the Miggy is rear wheel drive. Very different and I'm not getting into which is better - but they're different!

I can't comment too much on the Mundano, bit I drive one the earlier 2.5 V6 Miggies so I know a little about them. Yes they're big and comfortable (I don't have a problem with the seats). You should be able to find a manual box if that's what you want - mine's a manual. They eat up motorway miles but they don't handle anything like as well as the Ford.

But they cost a bit to run. I go through tyres alarming quickly - 14K is best I've managed. Getting the wheel alignment correct seems to be beyond most tyre places. There's a trick to it which local garage knows now so that's saved a few bob in front tyres which it will eat unless the tracking is spot on. The cam belt change is around the £200 mark which I don't think too bad but you need it every 40K. Other bits and pieces aren't as reliable as they could be either. PAS pumps seem prone to failure, Cam covers warp and gaskets leak, exhaust manifold bolts prone to shearing. Front suspension bushes fail regularly (but I believe that's a Mondeo failing too).

Don't let me put you off - I've done over 60K in mine in the last 4 years and I do like driving it. I haven't had all the faults above - just some of them. I think fuel consumption is perhaps slightly better in the Vx as opposed to the Ford.

I know Aprilia is less than impressed with them and will no doubt be along shortly to say so!

But remember just how cheap they are to buy and smile.

Cheers
Les
Mondeo 2.5 Vs Omega 2.6 - davidh
Thanks Guys, your info is really helpfull!

On the 2.0 litre auto Omega I had I found that the tyres would wear on the inside on the front at an alarming rate - its the first car I'd had which wore them down to the canvas.

I have thought about a 3.2 Vectra but realistically a lowish mileage one is hovering under the 7 grand mark for a 52 plate - probably a little bit more than I wanted to spend as I can kind of justify a cheaper thirsty car like the Omega/Mondeo.

Having said that, does anyone know what a 3.2 vectra will do MPG wise? I'm thinking about 20mpg up here in hilly Yorkshire as I get 23/24mpg day in day out in the 620ti with a lead right foot in urban driving.

Thanks in advance,

David.