Fords Quickclear windscreen - MikeTorque
Has anyone who has driven a Ford Focus II experienced additional dazzle/glare from others vehicles head lights/fog lights and street lighting as a result of the heating element inside the Quickclear windscreen ?
Does this happen with other Ford models that are fitted with the Quickclear windscreen ?

I have experienced no such problem whilst driving Focus's without the Quickclear windscreen.

Oh and yes I have had my eyes tested and they are fine for day and night driving.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Stuartli
Unless you keep the inside of the Quickclear windscreens as clean as possible then problems can be experienced at night with oncoming lights etc.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Quinny100
Never bothered me - I've had 3 Ford's with heated screens and driven many others. I've found they can be more noticeable when the inside of the screen isn't clean.
The inside and outside of the windscreen is spotless so no worries there.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Westpig
wife's x type has it and to start with you find it slightly irritating and worry that you're going to keep noticing it...

in very quick time you don't notice.

i regularly flit between my car (without one) and hers and don't notice any difference now
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Pugugly {P}
Any uncorrected eyesight problems may cause an "effect"
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Dynamic Dave
After a long time I've finally got used to driving the Transit connect van at work with one of these blasted windscreens in. For as long as I can remember it always gave me a headache on any journey lasting longer than ½ hour. Still hate driving the thing at night as the lines in the screen are highlighted by headlights from oncoming traffic and street lights.

No chance keeping the screen clean as it's used by more than one person and you can guarantee someone will use the back of their hand / sleeve to wipe the morning mist off the inside of the screen making a huge smeary mess.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Hamsafar
It's like a winscreen peppered with tiny surface chips from years of spray-bourne sand and grit.
It doesn't bother you most of the time, but in certain lighting conditions it becomes noticeable, and then your brain 'tunes into it' with disdain and this can mean that you increasingly notice it and are increasing irritated by it.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Waino
After a long time I've finally got used to driving the Transit connect van at work with one of these blasted windscreens in.

I've no problem with Q/C screens with 12 years in Mondeos and 2.5 years in SWMBO's Focus - they're great. I just wonder if, in a bigger van, you are sitting further away from the screen and the wires feature more within your depth of focus.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Altea Ego
I hate them

Wont ever have a ford that has one fitted.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Xileno {P}
I love them.

But only on a frosty morning.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
I love them too. Very useful from September through to April - on any day when it's liable to misting when first getting in. I was never bothered by the wires at all.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - AlastairW
Count me as a fan too. As mentioned above, the key to invisible wires is a spotless windscreen, particularly on the inside.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - PoloGirl
"Has anyone who has driven a Ford Focus II experienced additional dazzle/glare from others vehicles head lights/fog lights and street lighting as a result of the heating element inside the Quickclear windscreen ?"

Yes, and that's precisely why I'd never have one.

If you spend a minute scraping (not spraying de-icer) with a decent scraper, the windscreen is dry and there's nothing to refreeze. Far rather have that than those awful lines.

Heated mirrors on the other hand... wouldn't be without them now!

Fords Quickclear windscreen - Altea Ego
Heated mirrors on the other hand... wouldn't be without them now

Ah the Touran ones are so powerful, the water on the mirror glass *steams*

most satisfactory
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Wales Forester
Wouldn't be without it. I only wish my works van had one too. Seems to me that the feature is like Marmite, you either love it or you hate it!!
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Robin Reliant
I love the heated screen on my Mondeo and I never notice the elements, no matter what the conditions. SWMBO on the other hand has weak eyesight, and complains that they are a distraction. So possibly it is all down to strength of vision.
--
Fords Quickclear windscreen - rtj70
I have had my current Mondeo for just over 3 years and the Q/C screen has never bothered me. For the first few minutes I could see it but after that regardless of time of day/year not a problem. And no need to say why it is good in the winter months.

I wear glasses for short sitedness and even got a renewed prescription recently (sunglasses(prescription) broken in my Italian car accident).

Maybe other glasses wearers will agree, but if i put on my glasses with marks/dust/etc. I quickly see beyond and through the "marks". Try to always have them clean but sometimes you later realise marks etc. and you were not affected. Surely the heating element in Fords not that intrusive for us?
Fords Quickclear windscreen - khizman
had one for a year on a mondeo
never disturbed me once.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - L'escargot
I've had 3 Fords (including 1999 and 2003 Foci) and never had a problem. In fact I would hate to have to go back to having a car that didn't have one. The speed at which they demist/defrost/ melt snow is briliiant. Not having one would be like going back a decade of automotive technology.
--
L\'escargot.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Dynamic Dave
I just wonder if, in a bigger van, you are sitting further away from the screen and the wires feature more within your depth of focus.

Waino, talking of Focus, the same applies whenever I've driven one of those with one of these horrid windscreens, so it can't be a 'distance away from the windscreen' thing.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - No FM2R
Got one on the Galaxy. Its a huge convenience and I can't really see any downside. Certainly none of the glare-oriented stuff you mention.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - P E
I really find it useful too, and I like Marmite.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - y2k+4
Many a post about this before, debating the pro's and con's. I'm firmly on the "it's great" side of the fence. The only time I notice the elements are, indeed, when driving at night and headlights catch them, but I wouldn't call them a distraction or a pain, as I can still see perfectly adequately - more so than if I had a frozen, misted-up screen, anyway...
Fords Quickclear windscreen - John S
Had a Mondeo on rent last week. Once again it reminded me how incredibly irritating these things are, especially at night when it appears like a greasy windscreen.

I too would never buy one!

JS
when it appears like a greasy windscreen.

Did you consider whether in fact it was a greasy windscreen?
--
L\'escargot.
I think a lot of the people who've decided they don't like them are just out to pick fault with them and keep deliberately focussing on the windscreen just to prove that they are right!
--
L\'escargot.
Thank you for your feedback on this one, very much appreciated, at least I now know it's not just me.

I find the visability is made worse while driving at night in rain. I use the heater and air con to keep the windscreen and other windows clear if conditions start to become misty whilst driving,

The only time I find the Quickclear useful is for fast clearing of the windscreen on a frosty morning/evening but then again I still have to clear/clean the other windows before I can drive away, and the number of frosty mornings/evenings can be counted on the figures of two hands during mild winters so I'm not sure what the real merits of the Quickclear windscreen really are in day to day driving !

The pros appear to be outweighed by the cons in as much as I spend far more time driving at night when the effect of the Quickclear becomes a negative issue just when I need as much visibility as possible.

One wonders if the full scope of the apparent overall safety of having a Quickclear windscreen has been fully considered in the light of peoples experiences !

From the science point of view putting a metalic element inside a windscreen is bound to increase the risk of vision/visibility issues as the line of light is deflected or disturbed en-route to a persons visual and image processing.

Another point that comes to mind is could it be that people who have or have not experienced a problem with the Quickclear at night may have slight defective eye vision which may account for why they do or do not notice a difference when driving a car that does not have a Quickclear windscreen fitted ? How many folks have had their eyes checked by a qualified optician recently ?

Is the solution to replace the Quickclear windscreen with an ordinary windscreen for those who have encountered a visibility issue ? No point changing the car just because of the windscreen.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - Westpig
i regularly have to have eyesight checks with my job, every 2 years now, because i'm over 40..... i can assure you i can be most pernickety at times..........and SWMBO thinks i'm more like Meldrew every day...

but........ her car with a heated front screen really isn't a problem...... i drive it a lot and we use it exclusively for long journeys............so in 5 weeks time we'll leave at 0200 and drive to Scotland........i genuinely don't notice the little metal lines and it's me that does all the driving.

I did when we first had it and worried about it.......but have just got used to it.

i promise you if it was a problem i wouldn't drive it........my car is 5 years older, but perfectly usable (in fact i prefer it) so although there'd be higher petrol bills i'd use that instead.
Fords Quickclear windscreen - henry k
Could it be that people who have or have not experienced a problem with the Quickclear at night may have slight defective eye vision which may account for why they do or do not notice a difference when driving a car that does not have a Quickclear windscreen fitted ?

>>
I would think the opposite would apply. There are thousands of vehicles with Quickclear windscreens and those with "normal vision" do not have a problem, or a problem that concerns them sufficiently to take action.
>>
How many folks have had their eyes checked by a qualified optician recently ?

>>
I for one have had my normal (for my age) eyesight tested every year for the last n years and this includes a peripheral test. I have always had very expensive Zeiss lenses fitted.
I drive a Mondeo and a Focus with Quickclear and a Yaris without it.
I had no problem when the first Quickclear vehicle arrived and have had no problems since.
Is the solution to replace the Quickclear windscreen with an ordinary windscreen for those who have encountered a visibility issue ?

Certainly an option. If it is bothering you that much then it is the way to go.
You will only continue to worry about it and you can eliminate your worry.
I'm not sure what the real merits of the Quickclear windscreen really are in day to day driving !

Speedy demisting before the A/C ( if you have one) kicks in is one obvious one.

What possibly needs some publicity is "try out a car with Quickclear at night" before you buy it ,in case, like yourself, it proves to be a problem.

I too would like an expert to explain why some people have this problem with Quickclear.