Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - bert-j
I'm considering buying a Honda Jazz CVT Auto because of increasing left hip problems. My local dealer hasn't got one in stock for me to try so before I go to the trouble of travelling further afield, I'd appreciate comments from anyone with experience of these cars. I like the higher driving position and relatively easy access plus the apparent Honda reliability. Thanks.
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - Bill Payer
Mrs BP has had a manual Jazz for 3 yrs and I recently did about 40 miles in an auto courtesy Jazz when ours went in for service a few wks ago. Not much to add to your comments, really. I continue to be impressed by how well the car is engineered.
The only criticism I can think of is that the seats are probably not very comfortable for long legged people. Not sure I (I?m just 6ft) would like to do a long journey driving it. Ours has very limited motorway use, but its height tends to make it bit more susceptible to cross-winds and buffeting from trucks. I would say that it's not at home on the motorway, although newer models may be better in this respect, and I do see a fair number on motorways in my travels.
Servicing costs are a little on the high side, but our dealer insists on using fully synth oil which bumps it up quite a bit. Some items (like plugs, of which it has 8) only need changing with mileage, so ours have never been changed yet).

The auto (my own car is an auto Merc) seemed fine ? it has little paddles to select ?gears? manually if you want but I?m sure they hardly ever get used. Some CVT's can be awkward to reverse up slopes - I didn't try that (just a normal reverse out of my drive) but if you regularly go somewhere where this might be an issue, then you should try it.
The car I drove (which had only done a few hundred miles) indicated high 40?s for fuel consumption, where I can get 50MPG on our manual ? so seems similar enough.
The later ones (from about mid 05, I think) ride a lot better than ours, but they also get those (in my opinion) awful silver ?Amstrad? type radio controls.

I?m surprised your dealer hasn?t got one ? I have 2 Honda dealers in close proximity and they always seem to be advertising several auto Jazz?s.
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - PeterRed
My mother-in-law's had one for 2 years and is very pleased with it. I've had a few goes and was very impressed - much nicer than a 97 Polo auto that I used to own.
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - menu du jour
I am disabled and a wheelchair user. I have had a Jazz CVT for 7 months now and find it excellent in all respects. I can load my wheelchair by just having one [the smallest] magic seat folded up. This leaves the boot free for all that shopping. On a 100 mile round trip I achieved without trying, 58.5 mpg. Although I have various "sitting difficulties" the seat is always comfortable. What more can I say? Worth the trip to try one.
Culmhead
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - 007
In a recent survey, more than 400 owners of Honda Jazz responded and not one of them had experienced a breakdown during three years of ownership. I did not take part in that survey (you know 'Which' one!) but that has been my experience too:o)

If you visit this site:

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml;jsessionid...l

and scroll almost to the bottom, you will see that HJ describes the Jazz CVT as 'the best autobox of the lot'...I just wish that I had chosen one too:o(
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - nortones2
We have a manual Jazz (late 05) which is good but the auto is much better to my mind. However, it was wife's decision, to save money, and I didn't want her to get stroppy by insisting as I would be forced into revealing the main reason for suggesting the auto for her. I'd have one, but the existing 1.4 engine is a bit too feeble to enjoy. Honda UK don't seem to want to let us have the 110hp version the more favoured get :(
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - HectorG
We have a Jazz CVT - just had 2nd (25,000) service. As all the surveys suggest, totally faultless. Great gearbox. We get about 47 mpg overall. I find it surprisingly good on the motorway, even cruising at 80. It's not as effortless as my Volvo V70, but much cheaper to run and, more importantly, doesn't go wrong! My Volvo has been back to dealers twice in under 10 months and 8,000 miles.

I agree with nortones, a bit more power would be nice. I think then it would probably be the only car you would need. Also, I think Honda's decision to stick to small petrol engines is right - much quieter than diesel in a cheaper car which is bound to have less sound insulation - very refined for the money and 'diesel' economy achieved with technologically sophisticated engines. I think the future for diesel is not good in this country - more expensive than petrol and the introduction of the dreaded particle filters to achieve Euro IV is ruining reliability ( eg Vauxhall Zafiras have a real problem) and economy ( eg Volvo D5). I will almost certainly replace my V70 diesel with an efficient petrol car.

Sorry I digresed, re: your original question bert-j, I would have no hesitation in recommending a Jazz CVT. I'm sure you would not regret it.

HectorG
Thank you very much for all your positive comments. I will certainly now consider the Jazz very seriously and see about a test drive. Thanks again.
We'll wait with baited breath for you to come back and say you've bought an MX-5 (or similar completely different vehicle). :-)
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - Happy Blue!
Oh you cynic you!
Spoke to a Honda sales-person today after a test drive of a CVT. I was quite impressed but thought the car somewhat under powered. He suggested that a version of the Jazz with a more powerful engine was fairly imminent. He was of the opinion that sales of the car had suffered slightly because of the relative lack of power. So possibly back to the drawing board.........
He suggested that a version of the Jazz with
a more powerful engine was fairly imminent.

That's very interesting, and I haven't heard that anywhere before (I'm aware they do a bigger engine in APAC and the US). Wonder what they'll do with the price - they haven't got much room to increase it.
He was of the opinion that sales of the car had suffered slightly because of
the relative lack of power.

I thought Jazz sold pretty well? I think it's unusal where I live that there are several Honda quite close, including 2 within a few miles of each other, and there's certainly no shortage of Jazz around here.

In practice, the 8 spark plug engine makes the car feel quite 'torquey' (in the manual). I guess that effect might be lost a bit in the auto? Ours has done fully loaded airport runs and university trips perfectly happily.
After months of indecision I've finally ordered a Jazz CVT Sport, so thanks, once again for all your opinions.
Honda Jazz CVT - opinions? - Avant
Good luck with it, Bert.

I missed this thread in November as we were in South Africa - where they have introduced a 1,5 litre engine as an option for the Jazz. SWMBO and I were thinking that when we retire and spend some time each year in SA, this would be ideal as the only car we'd need. Let's hope it does come to the UK - there would I'm sure be ready buyers.

SWMBO had one of the first manual Jazzes back in 2002 - great car in every respect except it was a bit frenetic on motorways. I thought it needed a 6th gear.