Golf MK2 window glass - Matt Kelly
Woke up this morning to find my Golf had been broken into overnight so need to have rear driver's side window (5 door model) replaced. I've been told by my regular mechanic that there's more than one glass colour (tint). Does anyone know if there's a way of telling what colour tint I have on the glass, other than the not very scientific looking at it and guessing ?

Nothing bar my mini maglite torch was nicked thankfully.
Re: Golf MK2 window glass - Jonathan
Matt

Sorry, but I can't offer any solution to the tinting issue.

But I can tell you an amusing story.

A friend of mine parked her nova outside a friends house in manchester a couple of years ago. She came back in the morning and the car was still where she parked it. She got in and thought somethings not right here. She got out and checked the car. The lock had previously been screwdrivered so that was not a concern. She didn;t see anything wrong so she got back in. It suddenly dawned on her that the steering wheel was missing! She could only assume that some little scrote had broken in, tried to kick off the steering lock and kicked the steering wheel off. It must have made them think that they might not be able to drive it, so they ncked the wheel.

The strange thing is that the crate of beer on the back seat and the sunglasses in the glove box were still there.

Very strange.

Jonathan
Re: Golf MK2 window glass - Mark (Brazil)
Matt,

Sorry to corrupt your thread, but another story...

On Friday I was in the Fens driving around in a C5 with David. I pullled into a gas station and went into the shop.

Conversation contiunued as follows with Attendant;

M:......20 B&H please
A:......Certainly Sir, would you like some Kipling Cakes as well ?
M:......?
A:......They're a very good price at the moment.
M:......Ah, no. No thank you, I don't think so.
A:......Just thought I'd ask. Bye.

The Fens has always been a weird place, but I think its getting worse............
Re: Golf MK2 window glass - Andy P
When I had a couple of stone chips in my Accord's windscreen repaired by Autoglass, the guy told me that it was a "green on green" screen - green tinted + green band across the top. Find a local agent and take your Golf along. They'll be able to tell.

Andy
C5s and Kipling cakes. - David W
Mark,

It hadn't crossed my mind before but perhaps the guy noticed the C5 and assumed......after all look at the pub it took us to!

David
Re: Golf MK2 window glass - Big Vern
MK II's come with clear, brown, or a green tint s far as I recall. All are very slight tints and unless you are particularrly fussed I would go for what ever the local scrapper had. (many will fit windows for you if you are not that way inclined) When somebody put a beer bottle through the rear screen of my ol MkII I was getting qoutes in and around £150 for a new one or £30 fitted for one from a scrapper with the majority of the heater bars working.