Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - cheddar
A Lees, 'Menzies' and Phantom have reported CR pump problems and now jkb080553 has resurrected and old thread in which roly93 quoted the following Technical Service Bulletin:

This of course relates specifically to cars that were built at least four and a half years ago and this clearly has not been an ongoing issue over that time however the TSB may provide ammunition for these guys in their respective approaches to their Ford dealers:

________

Model: Mondeo 2001 (Build Date: 10.2001 - 05.2002) (Build Code: 1K - 2J) (Engine: 2.0L DuraTorq-TDCi)
Focus 1999 (Build Date: 05.2001 - 05.2002) (Build Code: 1B - 2J) (Engine: 1.8L DuraTorq-TDCi)

Subject: Engine running erratically or does not start, due to contamination of fuel injection system caused by cam roller/shoe failure.

Summary

Should a customer express concern that the engine is running erratically or does not start, a potential cause (within the above mentioned manufacturing time period) is that the fuel pump is unable to deliver the required fuel rail pressure due to wear of the rollers and shoes. The damage is caused by insufficient bedding of the rollers during early life. This also creates metallic particles which can enter the high pressure fuel system and lead to injector failure. To rectify this concern, a revised fuel pump, new injectors and associated parts should be installed.

If this concern is present, it may be indicated by a flashing glow plug indicator showing that a fault has been detected.

Due to a number of misdiagnosed common rail fuel pumps, it is necessary to re-issue this bulletin. If any fault codes are present, these should first be investigated and resolved individually. If the concern is still present, a sample of fuel should be collected and analyzed to determine if insufficient bedding of the rollers has taken place.

________

Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - kithmo
The "revised" pump bearings are lubricated by engine oil (not just diesel fuel) and IMO it's not just fuel contamination, but the current 12.5k service intervals that are the cause of some of the problems, when the oil deteriorates the pump suffers. The Ford brand semi-synthetic oil is not the best on the market either, it's biased towards fuel economy rather than protection. I'm only using the Ford oil at present in my 2005 TDCi so as not to invalidate any warranty claims, but I change it every 4k (6 months). As soon as the warranty is up I'm back on the Texaco Havoline fully synthetic 5W-40 A3/B3 oil I was using in the V6.
Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - jc2
Ford 5w/30 semi-synthetic is made(refined)by Texaco.
Ford 5w/30 semi-synthetic is made(refined)by Texaco.

I know that, but it is not the best Texaco oil is it, ACEA A1/B1 (Ford) spec is a fuel economy oil whereas for high performance and extended drain you should use A3/B3.
>> Ford 5w/30 semi-synthetic is made(refined)by Texaco.
>>
I know that, but it is not the best Texaco oil
is it, ACEA A1/B1 (Ford) spec is a fuel economy oil
whereas for high performance and extended drain you should use A3/B3.

Not sure it is quite as simple as that A1 / A3 etc are only industry standards however car manufacturers determine their own specs, should one follow them implicitly or go for an equivilent, though by the industry standards, superior product. For instance there are a few semi synth 5w-30s that meet Ford WSS-M2C913-B spec, though Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 fully synth does not.

I would be inclined to folow the Ford spec on a Ford, VW spec on a VW etc.
Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - jc2
Ford don't recommend extended drain;you should have fully synthetic for that.
Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - quizman
Ford don't recommend extended drain;you should have fully synthetic for that.

I know that, but the question several people want to know is: would it hurt the engine on a Ford to use a higher grade of oil, ie Mobil 1? I can get this for about the same price as Castrol Magnatec 5W/30.

Higher grade measured by industry standards may not be "better" when measured by the manufactuers specified standards.
Mondeo TDCi CR pump info - nortones2
I agree with what you say Cheddar, but its more marketing fluff than industry standards that make people think that say certain oils are "better". BTW, Mobil 1 is said not to be 100% synthetic now. It may be all the better for that, but unless it meets the standards Ford require as a minimum, whether its in any way better for that engine is pure guesswork.
Not sure it is quite as simple as that A1 /
A3 etc are only industry standards however car manufacturers determine their
own specs, should one follow them implicitly or go for an
equivilent, though by the industry standards, superior product. For instance there
are a few semi synth 5w-30s that meet Ford WSS-M2C913-B spec,
though Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 fully synth does not.
I would be inclined to folow the Ford spec on a
Ford, VW spec on a VW etc.

I understand what you're saying, but it could be that the Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is not a fuel economy oil (i.e. not A1/B1) and fuel economy may be one of the Ford WSS-M2C913-B spec requirements, in other words the Mobil 1 may be better than the Ford specifications for protection but not as good for economy, I know which I prefer. I work in a quality control orientated profession where European and British Standards are used extensively and in nearly all cases, industry standards are more stringent than manufacturers standards, so I would rather go by them. Manufacturers only make goods "Fit for purpose" these days, no over engineering etc, so maybe the Ford oil is fit for purpose in that it keeps your car running till out of warranty.