Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - storme
This may sound daft to some....

on the wifes KA, the light for the handbrake keeps coming on.. ie the light when you put the handbrake on.

now i have physically taken out the front pads and checked them..they are almost new..altho they are not original fords.

and....they done have any sensor wires on them so they arnt registering any sort of fault cuase theres no wire!!!!

so do they rears have any sensors???
if not.what is causing the light to come on then back off then back on. etc etc
--
www.storme.co.uk
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - Another John H
I'm not sure if it's the case with the KA, but check the brake fluid level ASAP.
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - GregSwain
Definitely the fluid level - most cars have a wire attached to the resevoir cap. Top the fluid up asap (DOT 4 stuff from Halfords), and if the level drops again, take it to a decent independant place who'll sort it out.

If the problem reccurs, might be a leaky rear cylinder. Take the drums off and you'll probably find one wet brake.... luckily the back brakes do nothing much anyway. I wouldn't recommend taking bits of brakes apart yourself unless you know what's what - is a 4 or 5-spanner job in the Haynes! Leave the fronts alone as well - they're nothing to do with the handbrake. The only warning you'll get when the pads are knackered is a lovely metal-on-metal noise when the brakes are applied - it's a Ka, not a Lexus ;-)
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - Wales Forester
Failing the above it could be as simple as a faulty micro switch on the handbrake lever itself.
thx

i'll look at the weekend...i'll replace the rear pads if needed...but may just start with the micro switch!!

actually i lied..i'll go look at the brake fluid level NOW...
:)
--
www.storme.co.uk
perfect!!!

it was the brake fluid level

alto it wasnt below the minimum, when i topped it up the light stopped going out!

thx ppl
--
www.storme.co.uk
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - bell boy
if the pads are nearly new and the fluid is low then i would be looking for a leak,probably on the rear cylinders seing as its a ka.

Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - Falkirk Bairn
perfect!!!
it was the brake fluid level
alto it wasnt below the minimum, when i topped it
up the light stopped going out!
thx ppl
--
www.storme.co.uk

You've cured the symptom (the light is out) - better look to solving the problem - the leak?
no leaks....

the light has been on/off for a while and the rear alloys are spot less...no oil anywhere
the 6 mnth old drive has no stains whatsoever

the car is fairly new to the wife
and looking at it, i think the fluid hasnt ever been changed,so that is my 1st job on sunday!!

but im certain there isnt any leaking
--
www.storme.co.uk
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - Falkirk Bairn
The brake fluid leak will show inside the brake hubs/shoes- it will not show on the alloys
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - piston power
storme- take those rear hubs off and check those wheel cylinder's for leaks before you have NO BRAKES!!
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - AndyT
>>"....before you have NO BRAKES!!"

Didn't you know, a Ka has no brakes! At least, not that you would notice compared to other cars. ;o)
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - Red Baron
Are there other systems in the car that use brake fluid? I my Alfa, it was a pin-hole in the clutch slave cylinder gasket that was causing the brake fluid level to drop.
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - jc2
Ka hydraulic clutch shares the fluid resevoir;the Kas I have owned have always had good brakes-well up to other cars-my current SportKa has excellent brakes.
And if you take the rear hubs off,remove the four bolts on the back of the brake backplate;the drum can then be removed complete with bearings-otherwise you have to take the bearings apart,which means resetting of their torque,new locknut etc..
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - DP
Just to back up what others have said, I once suffered total brake failure on my old Sierra as the result of an undetected rear cylinder leak. The float in the lid of the reservoir that was supposed to activate the warning light was stuck, so didn't drop with the fluid level and switch on the warning light. Exiting a motorway slip, luckily at about 50 mph, the pedal went to the floor. It still ranks as the most terrifying moment of my driving career. Luckily it was an uphill slip road and the roundabout at the top was clear. I managed to stop it on the handbrake a few hundred yards later.

The only sign of trouble was when I took the drum off to find sodden shoes and fluid sloshing around inside the drum itself. The odd spot of fluid on the inside of the wheel aside, everything looked perfect.

Changed both cylinders as a precaution, cleaned up all the leaked fluid and fitted new shoes. Bled it all through and no problems.

Don't risk it. Leaks inside drums can be completely invisible without an investigative stripdown. Even if the fluid doesn't run dry, the friction material will be soaked in brake fluid and the brake won't work properly.

Cheers
DP
You must have had something wrong with the front brakes or master cylinder as well;Sierra brakes were split system.
Sorry;total lack of fluid could have caused it.
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - DP
Reservoir was completely bone dry. Happened quickly as well, as I'd checked the level about a week earlier and it was just under MAX.

Not a pleasant experience.

cheers
DP
Ford KA handbrake light on dashboard - rover 75
Do Ka's have a hydraulic clutch ?
Yes;see my earlier post.