yellow school buses - T.G.Webb
There's been some discussion recently of reducing the school run traffic by introducing US style yellow school buses which would give a safe and convenient neighbourhood service.

Great idea, but the other part of the US scheme doesn't seem ever to be mentioned and it's an important part.

When a US school bus stops, traffic in both directions must stop as well - no vehice must drive past the bus.

Can our drivers cope with that?
Re: yellow school buses - Lee H
Near to us in Hebden Bridge, there have been introduced two of these buses. The local coverage has been very positive, but with no mention of traffic having to stop.

In answer to your question, I'm sure drivers could cope with it, but as with so many other motoring laws, there will be many whose choose not to.

Lee.
Re: yellow school buses - crazed
having lived and worked in the USA I can say for sure the US system of traffic having to stop anytime a school bus stops is not the way to go

main reason is kids all jump out and run off in all directions assuming that all cars will have stopped, o course one day a tourist from europe drives by in a hire car and you have a dead kid

forcing drivers to drive like this only teaches the kids bad pedestrian skills

also those buses are not safe and slide allover in wet/ice which isnt so bad on wider US roads but doesnt suit over ever thinner roads here

in my view best REAL improvement would be to make ABS compulsory on all buses, all HGV's in USA now have compulsory ABS and this has ahd a dramatic effect
Re: yellow school buses - tim
much better to have safe dedicated cycle routes to school; less than 2% of children in the uk cycle to school; it is 60% in denmark; result is less pollution, less congestion, fitter kids, less accidents involving kids.
Re: yellow school buses - pugugly
Crazed , indeed,
a dead child and followed by a very wealthy Attorney.

Seriously

They would have to change the law in the UK. In all honesty I can see that HMG
would see this as a logical step.