306-strange noise behind dash? - scfc_151
I have a 306 hdi (y reg) which recently makes a high pitched squeeky sound from behind the dash (passenger side) Kind of sounds like a belt squeeking or has been described as a 'cricket'

I think its related to the fans becasue if i increase/decrease the fan speed it goes off for a while.

is there something that can stop this without taking the dash off etc?

thanks

(sorry if its a rubbish description)
306-strange noise behind dash? - stuartl
It maybe something trapped in the heater duct, a leaf for example can make that sort of sound and this theory would be borne out by the fan speed making a difference ?!?
306-strange noise behind dash? - 659FBE
Possibly a dry bearing bush on the blower fan motor. Obtaining access to oil it might be a challenge though - not a job to do if you have a bad back, or wish to avoid one in the future.

whats the best way to access the fan motor? i think oiling might be the way. I dont mind playing a game of twister with my car but i dont fancy taking off dash boards etc.
306-strange noise behind dash? - Armitage Shanks {p}
How about spraying WD40 into the intake thru which the fan draws its air? Can't do any harm and might be a cheap and easy fix?
306-strange noise behind dash? - 659FBE
Won't do a lot for the bearings and there must be better air fresheners. Buy a Haynes manual and see what's involved in removing the motor. You just might be lucky - on some French cars the motor comes out via the plenum chamber.

306-strange noise behind dash? - Crinkly Dave
Yes, pretty easy to remove complete fan. Not done one for a while, but I think it is removal of glovebox, and then 3 screws. Haynes has a reasonable description
306-strange noise behind dash? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I thought that WD40 was, to an extent, a lubricant? It certainly used to quieten down the alternator on a car I had years ago, and did it without spoiling the electrical workings of it. I agree it isn't the greatest smell in the world but might be preferable to a squeaky fan!
i think ill try and get behind the dash to the fan. Some 3 in 1 oil might do the trick or wd40 at least theres nothing to complex back there

cheers guys
306-strange noise behind dash? - stuartl
If you're going to use a lubricant I'd try PTFE 'dry' lubricant spray. I use it on router cutters and saw blades, Screwfix do a tin for under a fiver and it's virtually odour free and might stop the interior of your car (and the windscreen) getting a fine coat of WD40 next time you use the blower :o )
306-strange noise behind dash? - Cliff Pope
I once had a noise like an angry wasp apparently coming from a fan or air duct. After a lot of WD40, and dismantling, I found ---- an angry wasp.