Fiat Ducato glow plugs replacement - matstro
We've got a 8 year old Ducato with 100k on the clock which never wanted to start last winter! Loads of turning over and masses of smoke when it finally catches properly. No probs in the summer months so I'm assuming its a glow plug problem. Theres no workshop manual for these. Is it an easy matter just to unscrew and replace the glow plugs? I've heard of them snapping off in other vehicles? Any advice?? Many thanks
Fiat Ducato glow plugs replacement - Steptoe
'98 model then, on these there is only one 'glow plug' located in the inlet manifold. It comes into operation at less that 4 degrees C IMRC and injects a small amount of diesel into the manifold and then sets light to it. This sequence is initiated by a controller which could equally well have failed.

I don't think that there is a easy way to check for correct operation though on www.motorhomefacts.com there is a photo sequence showing the various firing stages so it must be possible to take enough bits off in order to view it working.

Peter Russek ( google for address) do a manual for this model
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
thanks Steptoe. Interesting to read about there being one and the controller. I'll have a dig on the motothome site. Sorry, yes, I've got a Peter Russek manual but theres hardly a mention of the glow plugs. Nothing like the trusty Haynes manuals are they!! Many thanks for your help.
Fiat Ducato glow plugs replacement - jc2
If it's in the manifold the name is "THERMOSTART" and it's not a glowplug.
Fiat Ducato glow plugs replacement - Steptoe
matstro, mulling over your problem, are you giving the 'glowplug' (or 'thermostart', thanks jc2) enough time to work?

When temperature is low enough glowplug light comes on and you're supposed to hold the key over until glowplug light flashes & you hear a clicking, on my van this takes about 25 seconds. Then turn the key further to start van.

I'm remembering this procedure from last year as it still isn't quite cold enough today for the system to work.

Apologies if you already know all this, however the handbook is a bit vague and when I first got the van I thought I had a problem until someone on motorhomefacts put me right.

Incidentally the handbook says that the thermostart system is only fitted to 2.5TD Ducato's so if yours is normally aspirated you may well have conventional glowplugs

----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Hi again. Ours is a 2.8 non turbo engine. The "glow plug" light comes on when the key is first switched and when its cold I wait until that light goes (about 15 secs) out then start the engine. Like I said in summer it starts instantly everytime. This morning wasn't too bad but with heavy frosts its a nightmare and I don't think the neighbours are much impressed with the smoke screen wafting in front of their windows! I'll have a dig around to see if its glow plugs or thermostart.