405TD starter solenoid? - local yokel
My 405 TD is a good starter, but when warm the starter sometimes does not turn over at the first turn of the key. It always kicks in eventually, but only after the key has been turned a few times.

I'm guessing that the solenoid is on its way out?
405TD starter solenoid? - ffidrac {P}
If it is a pre-engaged starter (solenoid on the starter - the most common type) it could just be lack of lubrication on on the fork pivot. Also it may possibly be corrosion build up in the solenoid workings.

BUT the most common reason is (again for pre-engaged starter ) worn brushes in the starter.

The worn carbon particles can make the brushes stick in their housing so not making proper contact or if they have worn enough the spring may not be 'pushing' them fully against the commutator.

With the help of a friend:

When the starter doesn't turn, keep the key turned and at the same time tap the starter with a small hammer, broom handle or something that will reach it (KEEP OUT OF THE WAY OF ANY PARTS THAT WILL MOVE!)
If the starter turns after being tapped then the starter needs replacing or cleaning {esp as it only happens when hot??} (or new brushes if you know of a place that can fit them!).
405TD starter solenoid? - sierraman
Take it to an auto electrician,they will replace brushes,check bearings etc..Should cost around £25.
405TD starter solenoid? - ffidrac {P}
That's how I know, I was one for several years ;)