obd 2 - Keith S
Has anyone tried connecting their laptop to the cars onboard diagnostic port?

I was reading another thread and it got me wondering.

Can anyone advise what hardware and software could be needed to attach a laptop with usb (no serial port) to a Renault?

Thanks
obd 2 - Kevin
There are quite a few OBD II interface kits available for laptops but they are not cheap. Google "OBD II" and you'll get plenty of hits.

You could of course build your own if you are handy with a soldering iron (basic designs for the interface are freely available on the net). The problem you will come up against is that certain code ranges and functions in the OBD II specification are reserved for individual manufacturer use. ie. Renault may use one of the reserved codes to indicate "Washer nozzle blocked" while Jaguar may use exactly the same code to indicate "Driver's seat weight limit exceeded - do Prescott check".
Unless you know the meaning of the manufacturer (and sometimes vehicle/model-specific) codes and functions you will only be able interpret the meaning of OBD II mandatory codes and sensors.

Kevin...

PS. USB to 232/422 convertors are available for a few bucks.
obd 2 - cheddar
ie. Renault may use
one of the reserved codes to indicate "Washer nozzle blocked" while
Jaguar may use exactly the same code to indicate "Driver's seat
weight limit exceeded - do Prescott check".

What is the OBD code for "Lara Croft not recognised" or "VAG ECU not compatible with iTunes" or "meddling geek trying to wipe Renault EPROMS" ?

;-)
obd 2 - the_bandit
I use a program called VAG-COM with my car. This can be used on many VAG based vehicles. I imported the cable from the good old US of A and you download the software from their website.

The lead cost $350 + had to pay import tax etc....