Vauxhall Cam Belt - Jack
Any idea what I should expect to pay for supply & fix of a new timing belt & tensioner for a Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 16v ? I've just payed £140 + vat for a full service at Vauxhall, but they didn't change the belt or tensioner.
The car has done 40k and is a May 2000 model.

Thanks in advance
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - Honest John
£120 to £150.

HJ
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - Jack
Crikey ! That's shot me down in flames. I thought it might be about £50 !

Thanks for your help HJ
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - David W
As a matter of interest the last time I bought a "kit" of belt/tensioner/guide rollers for one of these it cost me £100+vat, retail £143+vat.

This can get an expensive job.

David
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - Jack
David,

Thanks for the precision info. I guess this overpricing answers why the parts aren't replaced during a full service.

Jack
I got stung for...... - watcher
....£196 on a Toyota MR2 mk2 recently!
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - gwyn parry
Depending on the age of your Vectra (late P on) Vauxhall's recommendation has now changed from 80k to a more sensible 40k. I had mine changed 19.4.01
when the car had done 50k
Prices were as follows (Main Dealer) T Belt 25.40
Roller 19.40 (2 required)
Labour was difficult to work out as it included a main service but the bill total was 205.12.
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - Chris M
The Dealer price seems quite reasonable to me. I had the belt, tensioner, 2 idlers & water pump replaced two years ago at a local (trustworthy, I think) garage. Cost was, in order, £25, £38, £31 each and £56, plus £40 labour, antifreeze and VAT came to £266. I was assured genuine Vauxhall parts had been used.

Was one of Gwyn's rollers the tensioner I wonder? HJ's recommendation is for tensioners to be replaced at the same time as the belt. I went the whole hog - a wise option?

Any comments, as another 40K will be up later this year?

Chris M
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - spud
Car manufacturers fitting these toothed rubber timing belts in my opinion was
a bad move for the consumer. O.K. so they were quieter than a chain drive and
they are cheap to make, but the customer gets stuffed time and time again
to get them renewed. Luckily, one manufacturer that I am aware of (Toyota),
has realised this and in their range of D-4D diesels have gone back to fitting
a chain drive. Technology has moved on so they are no longer as noisey as
they once were. Another benefit which they have found, is that the chain drive
occupies far less space. They don't need to allow for 1" wide belts and cogs.
This makes for a more compact engine design and happier customers. With
sensible driving and servicing, the chain should last the life of the engine.
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - jack
Hi Gwyn,

Yes. I've just had a full service on mine which I paid £140 for. By that reckoning, it looks as though the labour charge for fitting the belt & rollers were in with the price of the service, as the amount left out of £205.12 would have been 92p.

Thanks for that
Re: Vauxhall Cam Belt - RogerL
Vauxhall is also going back to chain drive. The 1.2 16v (ex Suzuki) in the Corsa and the 2.2 16v alloy-block in the Omega are both chain drive. I think the new Vectra will also be.