Insurance Query - Two People - Adam {P}
Morning all,

Some advice please. My Dad is off in Spain on his bike this week and so, for the next month I'm insured on his car which I plan on doing my trip to London in at the weekend. I am a named driver on his policy.

My uncle's coming along too and has suggested sharing the driving so that it's not as hectic seeing as we'd be going there and back in the same day. This, on the face of it seems like a good idea. However, he's just found out that his company insurance won't cover him on Dad's car.

He's seen (and has been told too) that you can insure any car yourself for the day - Norwich Union being one of these insurers - so that he could insure himself on Dad's car for the day but I'm sure i've seen it here that that would be illegal - namely because the same car has two policies out on it. I told him this but then he said something about insuring the person not the car.

a) What is he on about?
b) Is what I'm on about legal?
c) Any ways around it if the answer to b) is "No"?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Insurance Query - Two People - mike hannon
Why not ask your dad's company what it would cost to name your uncle temporarily on the existing policy?
Insurance Query - Two People - DP
Why not ask your dad's company what it would cost to
name your uncle temporarily on the existing policy?

This is what I did when the mother-in-law needed to borrow the car last year. They couldn't add her just for the day, but adding her as a named driver for the remaining four months of the policy was something daft like £20.

Job done.

Cheers
DP
Insurance Query - Two People - maclean
Hi - to insure the car via Norwich Union's dayinsure.com scheme as you suggest is quite legal and very cheap at about £10.00 per day.What would be illegal is to insure the car twice with the intention of claiming under both policies!

Make sure you read the small print on dayinsure about the excess and age limits etc and enjoy your trip!

HTH
Insurance Query - Two People - commerdriver
Adam the NU scheme s a legal way to do it
whayt it does is pay the main policyholder if you have an accident so it's effectively just paying to add another driver to your dad's policy
what surprised me is that it can be used by drivers between 21 and 25.
Insurance Query - Two People - helicopter
Just ask your dad's company to add him as a named driver. Should not cost anything .

I did that last year when BiL was staying and needed to use my car - Cost me nothing which was a pleasant surprise at the time - I'm insured with More Than.
Insurance Query - Two People - No FM2R
>>I'm sure i've seen it here that that would be illegal - namely because the same car has two policies out on it.

You certainly have seen it on here, and more than once at that. Its complete garbage, but people insist on writing it. That's the problem with motor insurance - the 34 million experts in the country.

Firstly there is no law against taking out 1 million insurance policies on the same car if you wish. Not smart, but legal.

Secondly the most direct insurance takes precedence. If there are two policies of equal standing, then the loss is shared in proportion to relevant premium collected.

You can insure a car. you can also insure a person. Most common is to insure the combination - you don't often get one person for any car, and you don't often get one car for any person. At least, not anymore.

Take the Norwich Union insurance and you'll be fine.

Specifically;

a) I don't know, neither does he.
b) yes
c) Not relevant.
Insurance Query - Two People - Big Bad Dave
Try Sheila?s Wheels Adam.
Thanks Dave - sadly they only insure women drivers....who drive pink Cadillacs and have no qualms about doing their nails whilst driving. I only fulfill two of those criteria.

I think we're going to go down that NU dayinsure route. Thanks very much for all your help - I'll let you know how we get on.
Just a quick update - we went with that NU Day Insure thing but I've been insured on my uncle's L200 Warrior for Saturday.

£10.50 for 24 hours - not bad. Might have to use them again!

Thanks again,

Adam