Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - stevied
Anyone au fait with Ibizas? A friend of mine is undecided between the FR and Cupra and the associated petrol and diesel engines.

He definitely wants the Ibiza, it's the model he is undecided on.
Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - Adam {P}
My mate had the TDi 130 Sport. I'm afraid I'm not au fait with the individual models but I assume the diesel engine would be the same?

If they are, then the engine was amazing. Pulled like a train all the time but the car wasn't very nice to drive because of all that weight up front. I understand the petrols are the same though so that probably won't be a problem. Seemed economical and powerful but clattery when cold. It just wasn't my mate's cup of tea which is why he got rid. Rather alarming number of cheap faults with the interior too but that's going to be the same on any model.

Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - y2k+4
Ibiza FR diesel will have 1.9 TDI 130 or 1.8T 150. I think the Cupra's get 1.9TDI 150, or 1.8T 180. They're basically the same two engines, I believe. It comes down to trim preference (Cupra gets more goodies, etc) and fuel preference. Note that the diesels are PD engines, and not as smooth or refined as PSA/Ford second-generation common-rail systems (HDi/TDCi). Many also criticise the PD engines of being more on/off with their power delivery than rivals.

If he's looking new, then that's fine, but if a year old beware the Ibizas got facelifted earlier this year and the later one's have better interior trim to combat problems with the original model's.

Hope this helps.
Cheers chaps! I think the 160 Diesel sounds a good bet, fast and frugal. Insurance a bit high though (15).
Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - ziggy
Cheers chaps! I think the 160 Diesel sounds a good bet,
fast and frugal. Insurance a bit high though (15).

..and terrible ride and handle like a one sided dumbell
Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - landmarked
I have the TDi130 and am very pelased with it. Plastic quality aside, the interior is well built. The PD engines are a bit clattery on cold mornings but they quickly calm down after a couple of minutes driving - certainly wouldn't have thought this would be a deal-breaker for most people.

The performance is exceptional - it's ridiculously fast between about 30-80mph, it will also cruise at 80mph in 6th doing 2000 revs and 65mpg... I would also highlight the excellent seats and driving position as big plus points.

The handling does not inspire you to rally round courners in the fasion of a finely tuned French supermini but it's quick, darty and feels very assured and confident.

The TDi160 is a compromise - it's obviously faster, but it's also significantly more expensive, has a more agressive power delivery and harsher ride. The 130 is a better all-rounder in my opinion although there will be some hardcore diesel-heads who think it is worth it. Oh yes, and the 130 is insurance group 7 (yes, that's seven!) as opposed to 15.

Mmm... I am getting a not-good feeling about the 160.

Question: if it was a toss-up between the FR 20valve petrol 150BHP and the FR diesel 130, which would you go for? I am discounting the Cupra here, due to the "dumbell" comment!!!
Views on Ibiza... the car not the island - landmarked
Easily the TD130, if only because it costs half as much in fuel and half as much to insure. You friend needs to drive a few though, the power delivery of the two diesel and petrol engines is vastly different