1989 VW Golf starting problem - russ28
Hi

I have a 1989 mk2 golf 1272cc 4 spd with a starting problem. She'll only turn half a revolution of the flywheel before stopping completely. Any ideas what might be causing this? The engine turns ok by hand, there is no water in the cylinders, the electrical ignition system is all ok (sparking ok) and the carb appears to be working ok. The golf was stood for at least 3 months while I was away travelling - seized starter perhaps? Is it worth my while taking the starter out and cleaning or shall I buy a new unit?

Any help really appreciated!!!!

Cheers -R
I should have mentioned - the battery is ok too!!!
1989 VW Golf starting problem - Collos25
How do you know the battery is ok ?
Hi - I bought the battery new and tried it out in my mk3 golf after my antics with the mk2 - it worked fined so I haven't bothered putting it back into the mk2 yet!
1989 VW Golf starting problem - Karmangti
Have the starter checkt out second After you have the battery checkt first it could be a dead cell .But if the engine is coming to a rapid halt on the turn over it could be a number off things be gentle with her .Turn the crank pulley not the distributer pulley because this will cause the belt to jump timing if yuo think that yuo have had made that mistake which is so easy to do as it is quit dark down that side off the engine .Turn the cranckshaft pulley at the bottom with a socket and rachet i would use a spanner myself and turn the engine in a anticlock wise diriction and if yuo feel anything toughing ie the piston hitting a valve STOP and seek proffesional help this may cost yuo not a lot or it could cost you a fare bit take care and tell the person that you give the job to the information that i have told you and who knows it could save you a fortune and if she is a good relyable car up until this happened am sure that this problem can be rectified easily and yuo can let me know how you get on. Duncan at davidwilson157@btinternet.com. TRUSTED FAULT DIAGNOSTIC INVESTIGATION ADVISOR. Kind Regards. Please take the time to reply to this email.
1989 VW Golf starting problem - jc2
Does it turn over with the plugs out?
1989 VW Golf starting problem - George Porge
Check the battery leads are tight and clean, follow them to the starter (red one) and the gearbox (black one).
If they need cleaning disconnect the negative (black lead) at the battery first (this is for your safety and also protects the car from potential short circuiting)
Then undo the gearbox / starter connections.
Wire brush the lead ends and where they connect too
Smear vaseline on them, reconnect and tighten
Connect the battery (black lead)

Try to start the car ;-)