SORRY - Polo again - David Moore
Posted a while back about oil loss/consumption on the Polo. Well its got worse, its taking the piss when I get say 200 or so miles from half a litre of 10/40 oil. Can it safely be steam cleaned to identify the leak? I didn't think these burned oil thats all. But I read in The Breakdown that its better they not be stem cleaned...
Re: SORRY - Polo again - Rob F
Check the sump for rusting through. You make well be suffering from the very thing you are trying to prevent.

Rob F
Re: SORRY - Polo again - David Moore
Its never been steam cleaned; just wondered if it would cause problems if it was. One thing ive noticed is that oil drips onto the exhaust and burns away. Revved hard from cold (to check for smoke) I get a little greyish smoke but nothing terrible. I think the sump's ok but would it be expensive if that was the case? Would 15/40 help? (Not too happy about using it though.)
Re: SORRY - Polo again - Rob F
Steam cleaning won't cause you problems, short term.

Sump DIY job will cost around £30.

But, below (I know from my own experience) is the likely culprit. Just didn't think of it immediately. Sorry.

bangernomics.tripod.com/oilypolo.htm

15w/40 won't help, it's just as thick as 10W40 when warm. (No. before the W is viscosity at -20 degrees C, no. afterwards is at 100 deg).

Rob F
Re: SORRY - Polo again - David Moore
Thanks again - one point I didn't mention is that there is a rubber hose, say 8 or 10mm in diameter. It runs from next to the oil filler cap to... somewhere. It is broken.Your link helps; could this pipe worsen the problem? (Again, sorry - I'm a student running a banger and I am clueless!)
Re: SORRY - Polo again - mike harvey
Its a crankcase breather and will run to the air filter housing- or it should do. On a worn engine it will blow a bit of oil mist out.
Regards
Mike