Replacement for a Mondeo? - Menzies
I intend to replace my diesel Mondeo (2004 model) with a PETROL car of similar size. I cannot afford new, but I would like something less than 2 years old and the cheaper the better. Any suggestions for a similar sized vehicle? Reliability is of greatest importance, with safety also being relevant. I won't consider another Mondeo due to quality problems with the current one and poor service from the dealers.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
Reliability of greatest importance - Accord, Mazda 6, Avensis would be where I would start.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - blue_haddock
If reliability is your main aim then Japanese/Korean is the way to go. Along with the cars already mentioned you may be able to get something like a pre-reg Kia Magentis which have been very keenly priced.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Stuartli
it seems almost ironic to suggest a Mazda - not that I would oppose it in any way.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Replacement for a Mondeo? - mlj
The models suggested (which I agree with) won't, on the other hand, be cheap. Mazda in particular seem to have a fairly tight grip on nearly new 6s and compared to Mondeo/Vectra will be at least £2K dearer. A Laguna springs to mind but many posters will attest to their unreliability. A petrol Octavia, whilst not as big, might be of interest. Widening the net slightly, a three/four year old S60 might do the job. I can't recommend VW as I spent ten years being utterly frustrated by their incompetent and arrogant dealers.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - cheddar
>>I won't consider another Mondeo due to quality problems with the current one >>

Irrelevant surely, the current one has diesel related issues possibly caused by mis-fuelling, not at all applicable to a petrol one.

>>and poor service from the dealers.>>

How many dealers, just the one? I have had excellent service from three Ford dealers over the last four years, light years ahead of my experience with Vauxhall dealers.
>>a PETROL car of similar size. I cannot afford new, but I would like something less than 2 years old and the cheaper the better. Any suggestions for a similar sized vehicle? Reliability is of greatest importance, with safety also being relevant.>>

Vectra - worthy though very poor dealers.
Passat - previous model - stodgy drive and poor reliability record, 2.0 petrol rather sluggish.
Laguna - characterful though reputation for niggly faults, top for safety.
Primera - yawn, no redeeming features IMO, reliability OK.
Avensis - Fine car to drive if not as sharp handling as a Mondeo, not great looking, good reputation.
Mazda 6 - As Avensis though better looking and slightly sharper.
Accord - new model - relatively pricey.

Vectra, Laguna and Primera are likely to be cheapest for age followed by Mondeo and Passat.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Dynamic Dave
Vectra - worthy though very poor dealers.

Not all of them though.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - quizman
>>>Vectra - worthy though very poor dealers.

I hired a Vectra estate on holiday, I hated it. Horrible chrome everywhere, gearchange stiff, seats awfull, front pillars too thick, it was black; it would make a good hearse.

Oh by the way, how do you turn the radio off in a Vectra?I pressed everything and it always came back on again when started.

I have owned many Ford's over the years and have considered myself a Ford fan. But after the treatment I received from the Ford main dealer when my wife's car was 2 weeks old, never never again. But I would sooner have a Mondeo than a Vectra.

Oh by the way, how do you turn the radio off in a Vectra?I pressed everything and it always came back on again when started.

You need to turn off the feature that operates the stereo when you turn the ignition key.

Switch on ignition.
Switch off stereo.
Press and hold down buttons 1 & 3 on the stereo, and then turn on the stereo.
Before a confirmation beep is heard the stereo display shows the current state of the ignition logic. It can be either IGNI ON or IGNI OFF.
When the confirmation beep is heard, the status of the ignition logic is changed from one to the other.
If you don't want the stereo to come on with the ignition, then set it to IGNI OFF.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - nick
Switch on ignition.
Switch off stereo.
Press and hold down buttons 1 & 3 on the stereo,
and then turn on the stereo.
Before a confirmation beep is heard the stereo display shows the
current state of the ignition logic. It can be either IGNI
ON or IGNI OFF.
When the confirmation beep is heard, the status of the ignition
logic is changed from one to the other.
If you don't want the stereo to come on with the
ignition, then set it to IGNI OFF.

By heck! What's wrong with a switch?
>>>By heck! What's wrong with a switch

That's what I thought!!!

Nothing whatsover. The above proceedure is for stopping the stereo automatically coming on every time you turn the igniton key, and once implemented you have to use the switch on the stereo to manually turn it on and off.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - TheOilBurner

Not all of them are so complicated. In my 2005 MY Vectra with a higher model stereo, you can just press the Settings button whilst the multiscreen is showing the Audio screen and you can turn ignition logic on/off from there.

I wonder how it's done with BMW's I-Drive? Probably three pages of manual instructions! ;)
Replacement for a Mondeo? - ziggy
>> Switch on ignition.
>> Switch off stereo.etc....

Thanks for the warning. That is reason enough for me to choose a different car.

It's almost as bad as the Golf I had where you can adjust one mirror independently but
not the other mirror (as both mirrors move together).

Frightening to think that some clown consciously designs these things.

Replacement for a Mondeo? - oldpostie
I'll try it on the Astra.
>> Vectra - worthy though very poor dealers.
Not all of them though.

You mean they are not all worthy? ;-)
How many dealers, just the one? I have had excellent service
from three Ford dealers over the last four years, light years
ahead of my experience with Vauxhall dealers.

No, two dealers. One could not fix and the other declined to try. I am pleased that you have had a good experience. I have been motoring for forty and more years and this is the worst service I have had. I had a niggle with the drivers seat base when I bought the car, it creaked and squeaked. They said that it might be the way I was sitting on it! Anyway, they did eventually replace it but not without three visits.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Adam {P}
I know what you mean Menz.

Much as I love my car (and I do), the dealers are enough to put anyone off. That's why I never go anymore and I still don't think I'm missing much!
I have seen some 55-reg Kia Magentis with 1000 - 5000 miles for under £7k. What do people think of those?
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Adam {P}
If you look at it as a direct rival to a Mondeo you'll be disappointed. That's if you like how the Mondeo drives of course.

If you look at is as a cheap barge with toys and comfier ride, then you'll be made up.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - T Lucas
Motorpoint have a couple of 2005 Magentis for £5299,seems like value to me,and a Kia wont give you grief.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Imagos
I have seen some 55-reg Kia Magentis with 1000 - 5000 miles for under £7k. What do people think of those?>>>>

A fine car but zero street cred.. and savage depreciation. Why do you think they are so cheap?

A squeaky drivers seat is hardly a major issue with quality to dismiss a Mondeo.

It's light years ahead of a Magentis in most areas.

Own a Magentis for a year or indeed any car and you'll be lucky to have any issues as trivial as a squeaky seat.

As for dealers? most are rubbish anyway.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - GregSwain
I have seen some 55-reg Kia Magentis with 1000 - 5000
miles for under £7k. What do people think of those?

I wouldn't have one - it's an ugly car, and it's been replaced by a much better model now, so it's no surprise it's dirt cheap - buy one and you'll be able to sell it next year for about £3k!!

Have a look at a new-model Hyundai Sonata if you want a decent large Korean car (apparently they're better to drive as well). All the petrol engines on the Jap/Korean cars are spot-on reliability and durability wise, I'd be more inclined to get a Toyota or a Honda if you want it to hold its value. If you're planning to keep it for years and years, buy a Korean one.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - jase1
I wouldn't have one - it's an ugly car, and it's
been replaced by a much better model now, so it's no
surprise it's dirt cheap - buy one and you'll be able
to sell it next year for about £3k!!

Yeah Magentis depreciation is savage, although having said that I doubt it'll lose value any more over three years than a new car costing £7000 (which is how much these were going for a few months back new). They ain't great but they are very reliable and a good long-term option -- minicab springs to mind (were it not for the big engine fuel consumption).

You don't buy Korean new unless you intend to keep for a while (new smaller vehicles and 4x4s excepted). Put it out of your mind, or have a punt on a 3yo one for £3000 maybe. The 2.5V6s seem good value to me, a lovely smooth barge with loads of toys (these cars are old Citroen-like comfy, with handling to match).
No, two dealers. One could not fix and the other
declined to try.

That is surely no reason to criticise the second dealer, they were aware that one of their felllow dealers was on the case.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Avant
Try a Skoda Octavia. Skoda dealers tend to be smaller and more likely to be family-owned than the Ford monoliths (you will get better service because it's their own money they earn if they get you to come back, and to lose if they don't). They are cheaper to buy new than most of the competition so although they hold their value well they should be comparably cheaper used.

Also, in the national surveys Skoda owners are among the most satisfied, and most go on to buy another Skoda.

An alternative is a Honda Accord or Civic - a Civic will be cheaper but there is plenty of room inside (I mean the previous model rather than the current stylist's abomination which puts looking 'cool' above safety - you could easily hit a child while reversing in one of these). Hondas also have very high satisfaction ratings, and the dealers, although mostly bigger than Skoda dealers, seem to have high standards.

Petrol or diesel? In terms of complexity, I don't think there is much in it. I've seen your other thread, and I can understand how worrying it is, especially if your health is not the best. Sorry you're getting so much conflicting advice: we can only go by our own experiences, and there are lots of good Mondeos and a few bad ones; probably also a lot of huge anonymous Ford dealers and a few good ones who treat you like an individual.

Don't have too much of a conscience about PX-ing the Mondeo: it's not your fault, and anyone who buys this newish car will get a warranty. The used car warranty companies have done enough people down in their time so if someone makes claims on this car there won't be a wet eye in the house.

Good luck - I hope you'll tell us how you get on. Skoda dealers are a little few and far between (there isn't one in Reading for example, although there is a good one in Basingstoke) - go on their website and it will locate your nearest.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Collos25
Have a scout around and see what you can get for your Mondeo as this is going to set your budget there are thousands of second hand Mondeos of all models and the price reflects this.Personally I would keep your Mondeo for at least another year or two.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Micky
">Personally I would keep your Mondeo for at least another year or two.<" He can't Andy, it's U/S.
Buy a petrol Mondeo from an independent ;-) , or privately, or at an auction. But pay peanuts.

Mk3 Mondeo estate is big. Cheapness + reliability + safety are a difficult mix. If cheapness = minimal depreciation then the answer to the sum used to Mercedes, but no longer. I don't think you'll trust a Ford again, GM and anything French is no better. Most German products are sold on image.

Try the largest estates produced by the Japanese, if your annual mileage is lowish then the fuel penalty for a large petrol engine won't hurt the wallet too much.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Statistical outlier
The Accord Tourer is about the same size as a Mondeo. It's lively to drive, in it's element on twisty a roads, and has an excellent reliability record. The diesel passes EuroIV without an expensive particulate filter, is really very refined, and has masses of torque from low down. The dealer network is good as well, at least in the UK.

In terms of MPG. the diesel will do about 41-42 in real mixed driving if you use the performance, whereas apparently the petrol will do about 26-28. Some Accord diesels do 50+, but this is unusual, and I've not managed to find out why. If your annual mileage is low, petrol might be the way forward.
"Lively to drive".

Well, sort of I suppose, but I meant lovely.
">Personally I would keep your Mondeo for at least another year or two.<" He can't Andy, it's U/S.
I take your point
But surley its going to be cheaper to fix (there always is a remedy it just needs locating)than to suffer the amount of dereciation the car will incur in changing .If it cost 2k it will probably work out cheaper and he will have a genuine motor ,there is still a small chance that ford might stump up some of the cost or he could take it to a good independant but to through so much money away without sitting down and waying up all the options is a little rash. Also if he sells it on either private or through a dealer and does not declare the fault as it is well documented he could also be in the proverbial ....
whats up with me today I mean "throw" not through
whats up with me today I mean "throw" not through

I think it's a Monday thing. As well as the error I corrected, there's apostrophes appearing where there shouldn't be and all sorts in my typing this morning.
But surley its going to be cheaper to fix .......than to suffer the amount
of dereciation the car will incur in changing .If it cost
2k it will probably work out cheaper and he will have
a genuine motor ,there is still a small chance that ford
might stump up some of the cost ....... ......if he sells it on either private
or through a dealer and does not declare the fault as
it is well documented he could also be in the proverbial

I agree 100%.
I reckon that when you have lost confidence in your car you might as well get rid of it. You will never feel right, it will always worry you.

Replacement for a Mondeo? - No FM2R
Question: Can you suggest an alternative vehicle I don't want to keep my Mondeo or get another ?
Answer: You should get another Mondeo or keep the one you've got.

For goodness sakes.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - googolplex
For goodness sakes.

No harm in pointing out that the 'grass is not necessarily greener on the other side...
For goodness sakes look at the first dozen posts.

For goodness sakes look at the first dozen posts.

What, the ones where you were whining about vauxhall dealers or where you were panicking because someone had dared say they didn't want one of your beloved Mondeos and made negative comments about the dealers ?
Question: Can you suggest an alternative vehicle I don't want to
keep my Mondeo or get another ?
Answer: You should get another Mondeo or keep the one you've
got.
For goodness sakes.

Constructive as always ....
>>Constructive as always ....

Pot, kettle.
Replacement for a Mondeo? - Avant
I do think we ought to stick, in a thread like this, to trying to be helpful to the original poster. There are other threads where banter and argument are appropriate - and fun.

Menzies (see his other thread) has had a bad, and upsetting, experience with a Ford and Ford dealers and understandably wants a change.

It looks as if the positive suggestions above amount to:

Skoda Octavia
Honda Civic or Accord
Vauxhall Vectra
VW Passat
One of the other Japanese cars this size, such as Mazda 6, Nissan Primera or Toyota Avensis
Kia Magentis if to be kept for a long time.

Then there are the French cars - more of a gamble but there are some good ones out there if you're lucky. I suspect you don't want to trust to luck this time!
Replacement for a Mondeo? - scott1s
Primera at 3 years old is a great buy. Get an 05 model year petrol SE or above (the one with the back lit instrument panel) and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Really comfy, plenty of poke, roomy and should be reliable.
That is a matter of opinion does not even begin to compare with a Mondeo,I just ofloaded a 54 2.2sve and it was the biggest load of .... I have driven for a long time ,using a 1.8 Mondeo estate at the moment and its superb.