banger advice - andrew wills
got 3 mth wait for new car, found buyer for existing one who needs it now, so where can I find for next-to-nothing preferably, a car that's safe (not falling to bits) and will last for at least 3-4 months (shortish MoT??)? Perhaps someone trying to get rid of a cars and been told it's worth next to nothing?
Hope you don't mind me asking, HJ!

many thanks
Andrew (Epsom, Surrey)
Re: banger advice - David Moore
Polo, just a better one than mine. E/F reg for say £500?
Re: banger advice - Phil
VW Jetta. Lots in Loot and dead cheap. Built much better than any other comparable car of the generation, cheap spares from German and Swedish, eurocarparts.
Re: banger advice - Dave
You can pick up a car with three months MOT at auction for £5.

It will be falling to bits but it won't depreciate by over 5 quid.
Re: banger advice - Jonathan
Why not see if you can get a good deal hiring a car for this period?

If you include the hassle factor and insurance costs it could work out cheaper. Easycar (i know they have been criticised here before) might be cheapest. The costs include insurance and nothing will go wrong with it. It does depend how many miles you want to do though.

8 weeks works out at £10 per day or £500. 12 weeks should be £750.

Jonathan
Re: banger advice - martin
good idea, i have used Easy rent-a-car and they porved very satisfactory and cheap, ask if they will do you a special price on long term rental. You could get lucky if you a willing to take something small.

Auctions have also been mentioned, a friend who goes to a car aution weekly in the Bristol area tells me of the silly prices being asked for resonable bangers, we are talking £20 to £100 for old VWs and such like. Just make sure it's got some MOT!

good luck
Re: banger advice - Moosh
Andrew, try this site for 'banger' advice!

bangernomics.tripod.com/
Re: banger advice - andrew wills
lots of useful food for thought there - thanks for all replies
PS have got 'til end next week to decide!
Re: banger advice - Alwyn
Pity you don't live nearer; you could have our 1990 Volvo 340 1.7 with MOT to September for £300.

Still for sale, David W. Wot a waste of a good car.
Re: banger advice - David W
Alwyn,

Have you tried the "Silver Shopper" outlets yet?

David
Re: banger advice - Robin Cook
My banger advice is :

Banger as often as you can before the headache excuse kicks in.
Re: banger advice - Union Jack
Robin - Oh dear, and on a Sunday too, so you'll be in even deeper trouble!

And I thought you had given up all that sort of thing since you were binned as Foreign Secretary, or *has* the headache excuse kicked in ....

Jack
Yes, dammit, but I'll be back.
Re: banger advice - Double Decker
Back banging, Robin, as Foreign Secretary, or both?

DD
Stop trying to confuse me, I'm trying to mend a garden gnome..............
Re: Gnome from Home - Double Decker
I am *so* sorry - I hadn't realised you had had to resort to "bangergnomics"!

DD
Re: Gnome from Home - Robin Cook
With an appetite like my own, young sassenach, anything that moves, or suspiciously looks like moving, is fair game. Don't ye read the tabloids?
What with grandparents named MacDougall, McCallum, Cowie, and Mar, just exactly who is the Sassenach here, Cock Robin? From the depths of my armchair, however, quite happy with the "young", thank you!

DD
Sorry, McDoubleDecker, I assumed you were one of those English types we're trying to rule.................
Robin

No offence taken, but ca' canny! You'll have McDonalds after you for infringeing their trademarks/registered names ...

Up yer lum!

DD
Nae problem, they'll never find me, I'll just stand still and pretend to be a garden gnome..................