306 heater matrix - 65BRoadster
The heater on my 306 has started to blow out steam. The rad water level is dropping so I assume the water is going somewhere. No doubt a leak in the matrix although there is no damp in the footwells. My question. How easy is it to remove the matrix on a 306. It seems well and truly sealed into the area behind the firewall next to the brake servo. My first problem is how to access it? cheers Matt
306 heater matrix - R75
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20998&...f
306 heater matrix - hm
110% nightmare.....Full dash out job....done it twice........horrid job....sorry to be so negitive.....I suggest you pick up a haynes manual.......

Regards

Hayden
306 heater matrix - autumnboy
Be sure its the Matrix, before you even think of doing this Job.

Its a right pig of a Job at least 3days work, if you've not done it before or jobs like it and the Haynes book is not 100%.

I would steer away from it and find someone who can do it for you at a reasonable price.

You've been warned !!!!!!!
306 heater matrix - Martin1981
Coolant loss together with steam from the airvents certainly points to a failing heater matrix- not uncommon on these cars. You can get some stuff called Forte (see previous posts on Peugeot/Citroen heater matrices) which is supposed to be good at sealing matrix leaks- maybe worth a try before ripping the dash out depending on how bad it's leaking. Also, inspect the radiator as these are also weak points on the 306- they tend to rust at the bottom pretty quickly and hence are a popular source of coolant leaks on these cars which have claimed the lives of many engines-particularly the older XUD diesel versions.

Martin
306 heater matrix - jag
son did one for a mate of his, 8 hr job and he has skinny arms/ small hands . he wouldn't want to do another. jag.
306 heater matrix - blue_haddock
Yep i've done one too and yep it's a monster of a job - i posted about this on a recent 'car jobs you never want to do again' thread.
306 heater matrix - 65BRoadster
Exactly as I feared. The Haynes Manual makes it look pretty bad. Removing the steering wheel would be my first hurdle as I guess it would meen disabling the airbag. Might be time to trade in for another one! Thanks for the feedback. Matt
306 heater matrix - Martin1981
Getting a garage to replace the matrix is likely to cost anywhere between £300 and £450 as it's so labour intensive. If your 306 is quite an old one then it may be just as well to trade it in- especially if there may be other items which require attention or if your MOT is looming. Another alternative would be to bypass the matrix by joining the two pipes together- but I wouldn't recommend it especially given how cold it was this morning (a scraper and heater on full blast job).

Martin