Rover TD Temperature Gauge Fault - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi,I don't know if anyone can help me out? The temperature gauge on my Rover 96 400 Turbo Diesel has suddenly started to go haywire,sometimes it doesn't work,sometimes it registers normal,it NEVER goes above where it should be so it isn't getting too hot.I have earthed the gauge out and it goes right up,I have put a bulb and wire on the sender on the thermostat housing and the bulb just glimmers.I was told that there may be a resistor or something that controls the gauge????? Does anyone have have any idea where the fault may lie,I don't like having a inaccurate temp gauge.Many Thanks Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!
Rover TD Temperature Gauge Fault - Civic8
>>I was told that there may be a resistor or something that controls the gauge

Yes, a variable resistor is the sender unit,try replacing it, that should cure it
--
Steve
Rover TD Temperature Gauge Fault - ib33
Andrew, could be the sender (think it will be a thermister type), or a bad connection, but think you would have noticed when earthing. You could try cleaning the connection and making sure it is a tight push fit. Other ideas broken wire somewhere, intermittent fault with gauge?
Could you recommend a Rover 400 diesel?
Regards, Ian
Rover TD Temperature Gauge Fault - 420 Turbo Diesel
Hi Ian,thanks for your helpfull reply.This is my second Rover Diesel,the first being a 418TD.I have found the 420 a very good car,reliable to date,it reguarly returns 46-50mpg depending on conditions.It is fast and comfortable and cheap to buy,what more can I say.Andrew...
--
I do like my Diesels to be Turbocharged for that extra OOMPH!!!!
Rover TD Temperature Gauge Fault - ib33
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your info about the Rover. Hope you have fixed the gauge.
Regards, Ian