Diesels in the US - Rebecca
Just got back from a big auto show/conference in Detroit. One of the more interesting events was a debate about trying to convert Americans to the idea of driving diesels. The govt regulators there are very keen that diesel take up increases and Ford seem to be leading the efforts to educate. (except in California where they don't want to know apparently).

Why does Europe have such a high proportion of diesels? Is it all to do with fuel costs do you think?

(A conference note: The (ex-Jaguar MD) new top Ford guy Nick Scheele was an excellent speaker and comes across as very credible. He certainly wowed the audience. Doubt he's so popular in Dagenham)

One questioner asked if it was the smell of diesel at the pumps (where available) that could be putting the US consumer off. The oil baron on the panel replied that whether gasoline or diesel, it all smells like money to him. Good answer!
Re: Diesels in the US - Tony
Can you imagine the smell,smog and pollution if they all ran 'filthy coal burners'in Los Angeles?Coal burners are only popular in Europe because of the fuel price advantage.Long way to go b4 Mr&Mrs middle America would accept them.
Re: Diesels in the US - Derek
I think we're talking about diesels, not steam engines.
Re: Diesels in the US - Todd
> Long way to go b4 Mr&Mrs middle America would accept them

They accept them in the pickup truck Dodge Ram with cummins diesel, VW Golf and Jetta (Bora), Ford excursion with 7.3L powerstroke diesel. They sell tens of thousands of diesel cars every year. The problem is fuel quality, which is improving. The american tdi forum www.tdiclub.com has 8500 members.
Re:US Diesel Fuel Quality - Adam
You are quite right, US diesel is fairly bad quality which is why all the big trucks and all US speced cars like the dodge ram and the Jeeps all have heavy duty filters and water separators rather than the stupid useless things they fit on cars over here.
Re: Diesels in the US - Honest John
Diesels go 25% to 50% further on their fuel than equivalent size petrol engines. Because diesels are more efficient, most European governments with the exception of the UK Tony government also treat them favourably with tax. The latest diesels also offer equivalent or better performance than their petrol counterparts, largely due to having massively more torque, making them more useful to drive almost enywhere apart from a race track. The USA has extemely bad experience of diesels from an awful V8 lump which GM shoehorned into various things including the Cadillac Seville. There's a hilarious bit in 'All the Girls'* by Martin O'Brian about how he gets chauffered out to a brothel somewhere in Nevada in a Caddy diesel auto and the thing can barely make it over the mountains.

HJ

*Despite the subject matter, this is not a smutty, voyeuristic book.
Re: Diesels in the US - Dan J
Am led to believe the GM's initial attempt at this engine was an almost a direct conversion of it's 5.7 Petrol engine. They didn't bother to strengthen conrods or otherwise improve and strengthen any parts of the engine. Of course a year or two down the line all these engines simply disintegrated under the load...
Re: Diesels in the US - CM
Doesn't Peug/Cit/Ren have a particulate filter that traps all nasties and then periodically burns them off at 700ºc? Or is this in the pipeline?
Diesel is probably just about ok for workmans applications,but i havent seen them offered as options on Lexus or Jaguar yet and how many 'filthy coal burners'does Honda make?Do the latest wonder diesels still belch out clouds of filthy black smoke 1st thing in the morning?
No
Re: Diesels in the US - JohnL
Honda are just about to introduce a 1.7l diesel in the Civic
BMW, Mercedes and Volvo seem to get away with offering diesels.
Do they offer their 'filthy coal burners' to the Americans?I can just imagine a US owner of a Merc S320 CDi being told it runs on 'truck fuel'.
Why don't you ask them?
Re: Diesels in the US - steve
S320CDi has got to be one of the best cars on the market. Period.
Re: Diesels in the US - T.G.Webb
An attraction of diesel to me is that it's more relaxing to drive, without the narrow power band of a 16v petrol engine.
Given the preponderance of automatic transmissions in the US this ceases to be an issue over there and it would be hard to see why diesels would be desirable.
I believe that the 607 has a particulate trap. VW have just produced a Euro4 compliant diesel.

Diesels are more efficient than petrol and are overcoming the performance differentials, too. I doubt that any developments will convince some people.

"None so blind .............."

If anybody thinks that petrol engines have no sooty particles, they are mistaken.
What happens to the particulants in the trap?Have Honda used another manufactures engine?How do you fill with diesel without either stepping in puddles of it or getting the smell of it on your hands?In the UK i think the benefits of 'filthy coal burners'is a little exagerated.Over the years i have used many diesel engined cars,some good,some very good,and also many dire awful things,so given the choice i choose petrol,and if i wanted ultimate lowest running cost i would use LPG,at UK taxed prices that has to be the way forward.
I use the free plastic gloves supplied and generally don't come across spillages. Arguably, the way forward, in terms of hydrocarbon-burning engines, is vegetable oil. It's a renewable resource.

The fact that you don't see the particulates from petrol engines doesn't mean they aren't there.
Re: Diesels in the US - Eleanor
Hydrocarbon-burning engines looks good on paper, however to produce a years worth of vegtable oil for the average motorist annual mileage takes about 7 acres of farm land. Do the math and you will see problem.

Eleanor
Eleanor

Thanks for the info. I believe that there are a very few people in the UK who are running around on recycled veggy oil from their local chippies and Asian takeaways. Sounds OK but the exhaust fumes tend to make the person following starving hungry...........
Re: Diesels in the US - JohnL
Much more dangerous at a filling station is the lung full of carcinogenic petrol fumes that we all have to put up with.
Do the latest fancy diesel engines stay in tune so that they continue to run with the minimum of smoke etc,and does it make a difference to smoke/pollution levels if you drive it gently most of the time and then give it a good blast?Are the 'real life'servicing costs more or less than an equivilant petrol engine?
Diesels are more expensive to buy than cars and more expensive to maintain. The advantage comes from better economy and longevity. I did my sums before getting mine.

On the other hand, my wife does a lower mileage so I bought her a petrol powered car. Horses for courses, rather than prejeudice.
Re: Diesels in the US - CM
I found the costs the same. I've got a 3 litre straight 6 (which is not always the most fuel efficient). It doesn't use any oil, it cost the same as the 3 litre petrol equivalent.

The draw backs - I suppose it's only for those boy racers who put a lot of emphasis in a 0-60 time. Apart from that I cannot think of any
Re: Diesels in the US - Phil
There was a brilliant bit in a recent Diesel Car where they superchipped a V8 Dodge Ram diesel to about 350bhp and 600lb/ft torque.

I have visited tdiclub.com but still don't understand why you would run a diesel in the US, the fuel is not only more expensive but of poor quality and hard to get. Admittedly a TDI is a nice drive, but so is a V8 when fuel costs are an (almost) irrelevance.
Re: Diesels in the US - Riz
So what if diesel cars produce black smoke from time to time, u think petrol exhaust fumes are any better for you.....they reckon that ciggarette smoke contains about 2000 - 3000 different chemicals, i wonder what theses figures are like for the respective fuels...Phil wrote:
>
Re: Diesels in the US - Richard Hall
I spend a fair amount of time in the US, and I'm pretty sure that the answer to this question is very cheap petrol, combined with almost universal fitment of automatic transmissions. A big, cheap, low tech V6 or V8 will always make more sense than a diesel in this sort of environment. But with American manufacturers under increasing pressure to improve the average fuel economy of their vehicle ranges through CAFE regulations, I would expect to see diesels become increasingly popular over the next five years or so. The US manufacturers only have to use the experience of their European outposts, and we might even get some benefit in the form of bigger, more powerful diesels developed by the Americans to haul their two-ton motor cars around.