Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Pete W
I have a W reg Avensis 1.8GS which I use as my company vehicle - I chose my own car rather than take the company vehicle and am pleased to say that I seem to benefit.

In the last couple of months I had noticed, with increasing frequency, that I occasionally experience a 'clunking' noise from the steering. I drive reasonably high mileage and my warranty at 60000 miles would expire this week. As my next service is not due until 63000 miles I thought that I would report the noise to my Toyota dealer at 59850 miles and hence claim warranty. The car has always been serviced correctly and the cam belt is being changed today.

To my surprise they agreed that this steering clunk indeed was an issue and that it would be sorted out under warranty. When I queried the remedial action I was told that the steering column requires removal and Toyota's 'fix' is to pack the joint ( or whatever is causing the clicking ) with 'special' grease. I booked the car in and left to ponder this apparent 'fix'.

I left the car there this morning, now with 60200 miles on the clock, and again queried the solution and asked how long this was intended to last. I was told that Toyota did not consider that this was a long term fix and that if the problem returned outside warranty then the cost would be down to me !!!! I questioned further as my warranty now expires this week but was told that this is the only solution. As I drive high mileage I am obviously concerned as to whether this short term fix is really acceptable if they know that the problem exists, it seems that thay are just doping the car to get it through the warranty period. Is it likely to be a safety issue ?

If anybody has any similar knowledge or advice this would be appreciated as I now also intend to write to Toyota HQ UK.

Many thanks.
Re: Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Spud
Hi Pete.

No! I really don't think they should be allowed to get away with that.

I hope you don't mind but I have sent you via e-mail the Toyota customer
relations e-mail address, along with a telephone number.

I think you should make a fuss and let them know that this whole issue is
being discussed at length on the Internet in a motoring forum and that
their are thousands of potential and current customers that are watching
this with great interest.

Please let us know how you get on. Large companies have been able to
wield the big stick for too long. Luckily the WWW is putting a little more
power back into the hands of the consumer. We gotta use it.
Re: Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Chris Eglinton
What a great reply, everyone take note.
Re: Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Honest John
See car by car breakdown. This was a problem with Carina Es and 1997 build Avensis, and Toyota extended the warranty on the rack to 4 years. 4 years from 1997 is now up, but seems very mean of the dealer to treat Pete the way it has when this is a very well known problem area.

HJ
Re: Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Paul Townsend
I for one will be taking note, am/was on the verge of ordering an Avensis. It might be my third. But i think I may hang back and see what happens here.
Re: Toyota Avensis Steering Clunk - Pete W
Spoke to Toyota GB today who will now also discuss with the dealer and get back to me. I will keep you informed of any useful development.

Question: Am I reading this as the 4 year warranty only applied to 1997 build year ?