Problem with service history - lazarus
I have been the proud owner of an 02 vectra 1.8LS for two weeks.The car was purchased from a used car dealer and all the documents are in good order.The only problem has been the intermittent appearance of an engine block warning light on the dash.The dealer honoured his obligations under the warranty and I took the car to his preferred garage to get it checked out.The garage managed to fix this problem and I was happy enough with this.I enquired about a price to service the car and the mechanic asked to see the service booklet.On studying the history he was a bit suspicious that the timing belt hadn't been replaced at 63000 miles and called the garage in question to enquire about this.He was told that the belt had not been replaced.This makes the belt overdue and he has quoted me £200 to carry out the work.By my own admission I am a bit green when it comes to these things and I'm not sure that I should be shelling out this money so soon after purchase and still well within the three month warranty.Does anyone know if I have a claim against the garage that didn't replace the belt,were they obliged to replace it? The car was MOTd two weeks ago,should that have been picked up then? Current milage is 66,000.Any feedback would be appreciated.
Problem with service history - Altea Ego
I am afraid you are out on a limb here. The timing belt is more or less a consumable item (change after xx years or xx miles)

The service history is correct, a car can be serviced but the belt is not part of the service and can be declined by the owner. The seller is under no obligation to have the belt done, they may have done it if you asked as part of the deal. Its not an MOT item.

You are lucky its been spotted. Get it changed.,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A bit sore to take,as the car was at the top end of what I could afford,but thanks for the advice.
Problem with service history - Dynamic Dave
You haven't mentioned if you've asked the garage about why the cambelt wasn't changed and will they do it as it wasn't done before the purchase. If you haven't done so, then I suggest you do. They can give you one of two answers.

btw, as TVM suggests - get the belt and tensioners changed ASAP. They sgould be done at 40,000 miles or 4 yrs (whichever comes soonest)
Problem with service history - GregSwain
Can't test a cambelt during the MOT - it'd involve removing the cover - the MOT is really a physical check (gaiters, steering, brakes, suspension etc), the only test of the engine is the emissions test. £200 is a good price for a cambelt kit - make sure it is the pulleys/tensioners as well as the belt, because Vauxhalls were made infamous in the 90s by the GF50 tensioner falling off the engine and bringing the belt with it.

I very much doubt the used car dealer will cough up for the cambelt - you should've looked into it before you bought the car, and included it in the deal. If I were you I'd get it done ASAP by the garage who've quoted £200, just make sure it's the full kit they're doing for that price. Why the belt wasn't changed at its correct 4 year interval is a mystery, especially if it was a main-dealer doing the servicing (I suspect it wasn't though). The used car warranty will cover you should the belt snap and wreck the engine, but, like tyres, cambelts just need replacing every so often, so are (rightly or wrongly) classed as wear and tear items. Either way, £200 is a lot cheaper than a new engine.
The used car warranty will cover you should the belt snap and wreck the engine

Nah it wont. If the belt wasnt changed as per manufacturers instructions, the warranty for this item and the subsequent wrecked engine is not valid.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nah it wont. If the belt wasnt changed as per manufacturers
instructions, the warranty for this item and the subsequent wrecked
engine is not valid.

Good point! Moral of the story: buy a car with a timing chain!
Problem with service history - nortones2
What does the service schedule (as amended by mfrs if it was a vauxhall dealer who serviced) say about when the cam belt has to be changed? if it is part of a service at x miles, but not done, then it may be down to the seller. You'd expect someone in the trade to know what is required.
Its a suplementary item, the dealer can offer but the customer can refuse, the book still gets a full service stamp tho.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Problem with service history - Number_Cruncher
Its a suplementary item, the dealer can offer but the customer
can refuse, the book still gets a full service stamp tho.

Indeed, this is one of the main reasons why I think some people get over-excited by a full service history. In reality, the stamps in the book don't come anywhere near to telling the full story.

Number_Cruncher
Indeed, this is one of the main reasons why I think
some people get over-excited by a full service history. In
reality, the stamps in the book don't come anywhere near to
telling the full story.

The only reason I like cars with service history is because you KNOW that the oil has been regularly changed. Couldn't care less about spark-plugs, or fuel filter etc, because I'd replace them soon after buying a car, and they rarely affect engine lifespan. Having said that, IMO garage receipts detailing work done are far more relevant than a scruffy book with a few stamps in. I like the sort of print-outs you get with some ex-fleet cars - they have every repair ever done (including clutch, head gasket etc), and they even have the tyres on, with the names and addresses of all the garages. Now THAT is a service history.
Problem with service history - cheddar
>
Indeed, this is one of the main reasons why I think
some people get over-excited by a full service history. In
reality, the stamps in the book don't come anywhere near to
telling the full story.

However if you have stamps in the book you can ask any main dealer to tell you what and was not done from computerised service records.
Problem with service history - yorkiebar
Not so sure the warranty will cover it. It's likely to exclude damage caused by saying it wasnt replaced at recommended interval.

Don't take a chance; replace it soon; even if it means not using the car til you can afford to.

Can't emphasise enough how overdue this is and how it will cause big problems if not sorted as matter of urgency.

Have known them to fail at less than the mileage stated; so please don't use it til sorted!
Thanks a lot to everyone who responded,it's been a real eyeopener for me and I wish I could turn the clock back to just before purchase with this much hindsight! Having studied the warranty in a bit more detail,it definitely doesn't cover me for the belt snapping and subsequent damage,so my vectra's next journey will be for a bit of surgery.None of the previous services were at a vauxhall garage & I don't know anything about this one as it is about 120miles away.
Problem with service history - bell boy
make sure the garage fit branded parts and the place looks like it knows a hammer from a screwdriver many traders use the cheapest backstreet garages they can to save a shilling and you may have been introduced to such a place.
let your eyes confirm or deny my thoughts .
(only my opinion mind)
To be fair to the trader,he has been very helpful & I don't hold him responsible for work not carried out before he acquired the car.Even if he did know, I have found out the hard way about not knowing what to look for and bought the car in good faith.The garage is small but looks professional enough with new equipment etc,though I will be asking more qstns regarding parts on your advice.It's a steep learning curve!
Problem with service history - bell boy
it is but at least you are taking in what everyone has said,good for you .
Problem with service history - cheddar
The car may have had an earlier belt change, ask a Vauxhall dealer to check records against the reg number or VIN.

Also if you have it done make sure the tensioners etc are also done, i.e a kit is fitted and not just a belt. I would have this done by a Vauxhall dealer's Master Fit dept, should be no more expensive than back street indy and will be more comprehensively warrantied.