Megane Scenic 1.9 dci - Lizzie
I am hoping someone will be able to help PLEASE! I own a 2001/Y scenic 1.9 dci. Over the last few months I have noticed a loss of power especially when going up hills (usually at about 10mph if I'm lucky!) I took the car to someone who did a clip test and diagnosed that all 4 glo plugs were inoperative and my usual mechanic changed them that day at a fraction of the cost that I was quoted. This made absolutely no difference to the performance and I have since taken the car elsewhere and have been advised that the problem may be the air mass meter. The mechanic at this garage has disconnected the AMM and asked me to drive the car around for the next few days to see if there is any improvement. My question is, will the disconnection of the AMM damage the engine of my vehicle in any way? And if this turns out not to be the problem has anyone any ideas?
Thanking you in anticipation.
Megane Scenic 1.9 dci - Dynamic Dave
all 4 glo plugs were inoperative and my usual mechanic changed
them that day at a fraction of the cost that I was quoted.
This made absolutely no difference to the performance ....

I'm not surprised. Glowplugs only aid start up in cold conditions; they won't make a jot of difference in terms of performance. As to the rest of your question *hopefully* an expert will be along shortly.
Megane Scenic 1.9 dci - Collos25
Just search on the site there are a mirad of problems with renault diesel engines and this is how they normally start.The car is going into limp home mode because it has a fault or so the ECU thinks ,I'll wager there are a hundred different reasons for this to happen from a faulty ecu to a faulty temp sensor you have now entered the renault minefield the object is to get out without having your wallet taken ,your house repossed and you stay out of the asylum.The best advice is have it put on the tester at Renault and only Renault and see what they say, the problem is that many faults are not registered by the ECU so its a needle in a haystack.I wish you good look I would personally sell it as I had to mine because nobody could cure the fault..
Thanks Andy, You don't sound very optimistic! I did take the car to a Renault franchised agent and they were the one's who told me that the glo plugs were inoperative and charged me £69 for the priviledge! Perhaps part ex might be on the horizon then?
Megane Scenic 1.9 dci - Altea Ego
Lizzie

I am afraid when someone mentions Renault, because Andy had a few problems with one, everyone is in exactly the same boat as him, so I am afraid his advice, when it comes to Renault, has clouded judgement and he never offers practical and impartial advice.

Yes there is a problem, and its likely to be a combination of things. Its either a sticky turbo or turbo vanes) or an EGR valve (exhaust gas recirculation valve). The turbo is expensive, the EGR is not.

Get Renault to test the car (pay £60) and find out what they say. (the "clip" is the simple tool, renault have a much better tester at the larger dealers)

If its a turbo get it done at another garage to save costs, if its the EGR let renault do it.

Good luck

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Wow! Thanks for a quick response Dave. I was always under the impression that Glo Plugs only aided in start up and I did question the garage that said this was my problem but they told me that when the car was under load the glo plugs would come on to aid in power to the engine. (sorry don't mean to sound thick, but I find many garages tend to palm women off a lot more than men).
Anyway, I am collecting my car this morning with the AMM disconnected and hoping for the best. Will let you know.
Megane Scenic 1.9 dci - Xileno {P}
On a lot of modern diesels the glow plugs do more than just helping to start the engine - which traditionally has been their role. They can stay on for quite a bit longer, to assist with cold running.

I suspect the EGR valve may be sooted up - not uncommon especially on these dCi's that are used for a lot of urban journeys. Did they check it? Did they clean it out?
Thanks everyone for all this advice. At least I can let the garage know what to look for in case this Amm is not the fault. Yes Xileno, the car is used for a lot of stop start urban journeys (shopping, kids to school and the like) so I am going to mention this EGR check/clean out when I go to collect car this morning. Will keep you posted and many many thanks everyone!
Have now had vehicle returned from garage with AMM disconnected and all seems fine. Have loads of power and engine is not struggling when under load. The fault looks as though it is with the AMM and I will be running around in it over the weekend to make sure. Garage have said if the fault does not return they will order new AMM next week.
Thank you all once again for your advice and I will be be recommending this site to everyone I know. Keep up the good work!
From a very grateful lady!