Car "searched" before boarding ferry - local yokel
Went over to France two days ago from Poole. After checking in and before loading all cars were stopped and searched by Securitas badged staff, ostensiby for weapons.

The old boy who "did" me couldn't have found a can of beans in Tesco. Didn't look under the car (no mirrors etc), didn't check the spare wheel well, nor under the rear seat. Most cursory, and by the looks of him it was his first or second day, after a 30 min training course. The others on the team had that "fresh from the Jobcentre" look about them. Their hi-viz waistcoasts were still creased from the packet.....

I'm guessing that these people are paid for by the Maritime and Coastguard agency - what a waste of time and money.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - DP
The important bit is it's another tick the Government can add to a form somewhere and say they've done something. A bit like PCSO's.

Cheers
DP
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Big Bad Dave
Last time I travelled they searched my engine bay but not the boot or cabin.

The time before that they wanted me to open all grandma?s Christmas presents for the kids until I made a song and dance about it.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - artful dodger {P}
A couple of years ago we flew with my parents in law to Florida. Well my Father in Law was selected as one of the people to have his bags security searched. This was a random selection and upon being pressed for information as to why he was selected, it appeared that selected flights would have a random bag search. It really was about ticking boxes to show security was being taken seriously. I think the same applied to you local yokel.

Personally I would have thought information led searches targeting known risks was probably a better route to improve security. Also when going by Channel Tunnel the vehicle passes over a security machine that I believe views the underside of the car and sniffs to detect explosives. This sort of security should become more comonplace, but may be too expensive.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Update - i spokle to the Poole Ferry Port terminal manager. She was very understanding of my points, accepted them, told me they'd had to let the contract to a new firm, and that they were very fresh to the task. She could not have been more candid and honest. A first!

She said that people are very touchy about their cars being searched (and worse about their caravans!) and it's not easy asking to poke around etc., so I suggested that they work with the ferry cos. to warn people that it will happen, that it won't delay the sailing, and that it's for their safety. I'd expected it, but only because I travel a lot. A leaflet or a note on the ticket etc. would warn people, and perhaps that would settle them, I suggested. She took the point and said she'd take it up with the ferry cos.

A result, perhaps?
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Westpig
just goes to show that it doesn't hurt to give them some polite and reasoned feedback
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - pmh
I have been searched a couple of times on leaving Dover out of possibly 12 journeys. But both times the same car (out of choice of 3 cars) and when travelling alone.

A friend with a black 530D reckons he is searched nearly every time, based on 10 journeys over the last 2 years.

I reckon this is probably less than than 5% of vehicles based on number of passing vehicles.

A small sample, but it would appear to a profiled selection. What car was the OP driving?

--

pmh (was peter)

She was fine about it, and siad it was helpfull, said I was the first person who'd made contact in a positive sense.

They and the ferry cos. get loads of letters from Mr and Mrs Very Annoyed that their Kia Sorento towing the Bailey Marauder five berth was picked out for searching when the car next to them was obvoiusly full of druggies because they had long hair and were smoking.....
She was fine about it, and siad it was helpfull, said
I was the first person who'd made contact in a positive
sense.
They and the ferry cos. get loads of letters from Mr
and Mrs Very Annoyed that their Kia Sorento towing the Bailey
Marauder five berth was picked out for searching when the car
next to them was obvoiusly full of druggies because they had
long hair and were smoking.....

well that's the sad thing about it isn't it..........there's a degree of accuracy in the letters sent in........any decent cop,custom's officer, security guard (and these plainly weren't), would over a period of time get a 'feeling' for something 'not being right' and should act on it........ however......... to be 'fair', we shouldn't pick on people, so we should do it randomly............so great aunt Maud gets picked on, whilst others' who might set your alarm bells off don't...who's more likely to have something wrong in the car?

there was a good joke my Matt on the front page of the Telegraph a little while back which summed it up for me...

dead bird on floor of kitchen, husband and cat stood with their arms in the air being questioned by wife...she sates something along the lines of "i know one of you has done it"
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Dulwich Estate
Phew!

I thought that I was the only living clone of Victor Meldrew who always knows how to do other people's jobs better. Now thankfully, I know there's at least two of us. The thing is ......we ARE right too!
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Nsar
I used to visit the Defence School of Transport quite a lot and was searched at the gate every time, with particular attention to the engine bay but the squaddies told me they only did this to warm their hands up on cold Yorkshire mornings.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - f2
Many moons ago my car was searched upon returning from Ireland. Over the course of 1.5 hours, two customs officials took out all the carpets and panelling from the boot, door trims etc, whilst a female (in the Russian shotputter sense of the word) colleague asked me the usual banal questions.

They even poked a metal rod up into the wheelarches and smelt it. As I h spent the previous fortnight visitng various farms you can imagine the man's face as he held the rod under his nose. Mind you; his colleague's reaction was even more gratifying as he called her over to ask for a second opinion. Good man yerself!

f2
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - helicopter
The only really comprehensive car search I have had was at Harwich ferry port coming back from Denmark twenty odd years ago when helicopter jr was around 5 years old and was really made up with his visit to Legoland .

SWMBO and her grey haired old parents were with us in the car.

Just what did they expect to find - I wonder ?

Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Xileno {P}
I often get stopped, although usually just questioned. Only twice have they looked under the bonnet.

I generally find the customs people more irksome. Was stopped last month on my way back from France and firstly asked where I had come from. What a daft question - from the wretched boat of course. Fool. Then I was questioned about how much wine I had. My understanding is you can bring back as much as you like as long as it's for personal consumption.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - yorkiebar
Only had 1 search in all my travels, and it was in Dover, England as I arrived back on home soil!

Had to unload all luggage etc, they even looked in 2 of the suitcases. No problem but the mil and both the kids were tired so made it worse than it actually was.

They asked about how much wine ; I replied " not enough! but they are all here on the floor you can count them if you want!" Had about 30 bottles, and no more happened.

Not sure what they expected to find but I would have preferred the search before I got on the ferry really as I would then half expect real problems to be found before the ferry (not on it or after it!)

But the box got ticked none the less!
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - rtj70
Only time stopped in a car for roadside check was back in the days of the border crossing between Czechoslovakia and Germany (before the Czech Republic - you needed a visa back in 1990).

Czech soldier with sub-marine gun pointing at car asks if anything to declared. Pauses and then says "One... Two... Three hundred litres of wine?" And then he laughed. Having a gun pointed at you wondering if the wine you bought is okay to bring back to Germany not so much fun. And they had equipment for taking tyres off wheels too!
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Lud
I only ever get searched coming into Dover, but that's happened several times. They never tell you why they've pulled you instead of someone else, however politely you ask.

In my case I think it was quite often because I was driving a Skoda, and because I perspire when tired and hot. Apparently sweat is regarded as a sign of guilty anxiety.

The searches never amount to much. They're only looking for big stuff.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Sim-O
I got searched by the french on my way to calais from begium.
I looked like a punk, drove an rs turbo, and in those days smoked hash, so when they asked me to empty my pockets i pulled out all these torn rizla packets and started to panic a little that I was going to pull out some gear I had forgotten about.
Then we were emptying my boot to the puzzlement of the officials as I had a top hat covered in flowers, big sticks and bells on ribbons. It was only when one of them spotted a flemish badge on one of my waistcoats did they realise i was a morris dancer and smile and wave me on my way
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - LeighB
In 1971 I was returning to the UK after a 3 year posting to Germany. I had taken my 1953 Bristol 401 out with me, and was returning with it to the UK. Whilst out there I had to change to British Forces Germany registration plates.
I came off the ferry at Dover, and declared to Customs 2 cases of Champagne which I had bought for my son's christening party.
Having paid the necessary duty. I was to my surprise asked about the car. Had I bought it in Germany? No, I had bought it 5 yeears erleir in the UK. How old is it , well obviously >5 years unless they didn't believe my first answer!
They insisted they needed to check that it was not a new import and that I didn't have to pay duty, and asked to drive to the far end of the shed and wait.
I regret to say that I thought this was totally pointless in an 18yr old car, and drove straight out of the far end and went home!
Maybe they are still looking for me?
Wish I still had the car .................. or maybe not, spare parts were very expensive!!
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - stevied
A punk Morris-dancer that drove an RS Turbo? That's punk-chav-folk tastic!

You're a niche marketer's dream.......

Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Sim-O
mmm, officially an old man now, picking up a diesel estate today...
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Statistical outlier
Oi! I've got a diesel estate, who you calling old?? ;-)
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - artful dodger {P}
>>I only ever get searched coming into Dover

Looking for booze and fags after coming across the Channel, is different to looking for arms and explosives before loading on a ferry. Lud, I think you are missing OP's comment it was a security check, not a customs inspection.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
I hadn't really missed it, but what's the difference? When you're stripped naked by Rosa Kleb it doesn't much matter why she's doing it...
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - colinh
I had swabs taken off the steering wheel and put through a detection machine leaving UK via Euotunnel - a passport full of Middle East visas may have been relevant.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - wrangler_rover
Back in August 1993, I went to Ireland on the sunday evening ferry from Holyhead to Dun Logaire for a 1 week business trip in my compny cavalier. On driving off the ferry in Ireland, I was the only car to be stopped & searched.
I answered several queations as to the reason for my visit and backed them up with company literature and my diary of appointments for the week. This satisfied the customs official.
When I asked why I had been stopped, he replied that it was unusual to see a car with a single male occupant during August (holiday season) and this had raised their suspicions.
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Altea Ego
"When you're stripped naked by Rosa Kleb"

Ah the rubber glove.................
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
And the boots TVM, the boots!
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Adam {P}
Who is Rosa Kleb?
I thought I'd missed out on some German supermodel but she's the baddie out of James Bond with the knife-shoes isn't she?
Car "searched" before boarding ferry - Altea Ego
Yes. and passed into common parlance.

A Rosa Kleb is now a descriptive term for a particular type of woman.

Bossy and in uniform mostly
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ahhh.

I'm sorry - I just keep picturing her though.
Adam,

Did you have a nightmare?
I'm still quivering Westy.

Is it too early to hit the bottle?