Personalised Number Plates - AllTorque
hello all,

I have recently been looking around for a new number plate, so as anyone else would i typed into various number plate companies my name and got the usual £30, 000 alternatives which are well out of my price range. In the end ive managed to get my name but need to have an X at the beginning and the end of it. I would also get it re - arranged to get my name on its own. For example if my name was sam, it would read X 5AM X.

I would like mens, and if so wished, womens comments on how masculine or feminine a number plate like the one above would be for an 18 year old lad driving around in an 03 mk4 Volkswagen Golf.

Any help you could give me would be very much appreciated

Cheers
Personalised Number Plates - Nomag
Firstly, it's illegal to re-arrange your number plate in an attempt to make it say something it doesn't.
Please don't be one of these idiots who insist on doing this, or using an illegible font! You're 18, surely there is something more exciting to spend your spare cash on than a set of letters? Foreign travel, nights out? That been said, I have no idea whether I would perceive what you suggest as either masculine or feminine, whatever car it was on!
Good luck!
Personalised Number Plates - massey
Believe me nobody really cares what's on the number plate, its only the owner that's obsessed!
Personalised Number Plates - PoloGirl
Why do you want your name on your car? Don't you know your name yourself? Whether you're young or old, there are better things to spend your money on. In my opinon the only personalised plates that are actually any good are the ones which are representative of something you do or are personal to you (like the plumbers vans that have the plumbing words on them) - the name thing is just tacky.

There's a woman where I work who has some kind of configuration of numbers/letters which read SEXY... we keep wondering when she's going to give the car back to whoever owns it.

Personalised Number Plates - Robin Reliant
Who are personalised plates supposed to impress? Whenever I see one I want to burst out laughing, I just cannot see the point.

--
Personalised Number Plates - Pugugly {P}
I have a three letter three digit plate, not spelling my name or initials, just the county ident for where I come from, it means nothing more than that, I like it so there.
Personalised Number Plates - component part
Personally I think plates like that are girly. As said, why bother? I wouldn't drop £50 on something like that.

I always thought that even if I won the lottery, my tuned Evo or my 911 Turbo, would wear it's original index number with pride.
Personalised Number Plates - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you want people to know what your name is (why should they care anyway?) use your computer to print out a banner to put across the bottom of your back window saying "Hi! My name is Sam" It won't be illegal, it will tell everyone who you are and it will cost 50p. Bargain!
Personalised Number Plates - artful dodger {P}
>>If you want people to know what your name is (why should they care anyway?) use your computer to print out a banner to put across the bottom of your back window saying "Hi! My name is Sam" It won't be illegal, it will tell everyone who you are and it will cost 50p. Bargain!

He's 18, and wants to personalise his car. It's his money to waste as he wants.

So why not get a banner with his name on across the top of the windscreen. When he gets a regular girlfriend, he can then add her name as well. Looks awful, but a lot cheaper than a Personalised Number Plate.

The only Personalised Number Plate I wanted was offered for £5000, so I was not interested that much.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Personalised Number Plates - Bromptonaut
As well as fines penalties for re arranging the letters include confiscation of the number. Don't forget it's a registration mark allocated to you, you don't actually own it!

And any way most re arranged numbers look daft; why does somebody round here want the word PONY (the O created from 8 with a strategically placed white/yellow bolt) on their plate?.
Personalised Number Plates - Stuartli
Why not contact the DVLA and check out the possibilities? Details of personalised registrations acquisition at:

tinyurl.com/o78yn
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Personalised Number Plates - yorkiebar
go for it !

While there are people spending money on plates it keeps somebody in business; 1 less scrounging off my tax money!

Does that help?
Personalised Number Plates - Martin Devon
As well as fines penalties for re arranging the letters include
confiscation of the number. Don't forget it's a registration mark allocated
to you, you don't actually own it!
And any way most re arranged numbers look daft; why does
somebody round here want the word PONY (the O created from
8 with a strategically placed white/yellow bolt) on their plate?.

Pony and trap? A local farmer when I were a lad used to take his to the pub and the beast always got him home and invariably he was sozzled and asleep. Good horse methinks.

MD.
Personalised Number Plates - Bromptonaut
Pony and trap sums it up (think rhyming slang!)
Personalised Number Plates - Round The Bend
I must admit that some plates are witty and I would under some circumstances (enough cash and inspiration) consider having one.

The really sad aspect of these is when someone has substituted so many 4s for As and 5s for Ss etc until it is impossible to work out what the number plate is trying to spell.
_______
IanS
Personalised Number Plates - R75
Go for it, don't forget to enlarge the letters and make them italic, private plates that spell your name look excellent and I can't think of anything more macho you can do to a car - the birds will be queueing up for a "ride".

walks away sniggering to ones self!!!
Personalised Number Plates - Stuartli
The first three digits/letters should always be B15 or B16...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Personalised Number Plates - local yokel
My number plate is personalised - I blinking well hope so anyway - I'm fairly sure mine is the only car with that reg.

A load of hot air, personal plates IMHO. Designed for those whose reproductive system does not get enough to do as God intended.
Personalised Number Plates - George Porge
anyway - I'm fairly sure mine is the only car with
that reg.
A load of hot air, personal plates IMHO. Designed for
those whose reproductive system does not get enough to do as
God intended.

I must be a Jaffa then!

3letters, 3 numbers cost me £500 6 years ago. Took me 2 years of looking to find what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay. I would'nt buy the plate your interested in as with a little ground work you can find something that does'nt require illeagally spaced plates to make them spell what you require.
Personalised Number Plates - Statistical outlier
I think it will make you look like a prat. It would anyway just by being personal, the X at either end makes it worse. Spend the money on a better car, or a holiday, or put towards something that is fun and has a point.

Only reason I would get a personalised plate would be to make something flash look a bit older (make a new car look a couple of years old) and stop it getting too much attention.
Having said that. (and getting off my high horse slightly, sorry about that).

Ignoring the fact that I don't like personalised plates, if you really do want one, then keep looking, there must be combos out there that don't need to signify you blowing everyone a kiss!!
Personalised Number Plates - Clanger
I have a registration with my initials on it, or prat plate if you are being cruel. Mrs H's car has a personal plate with someone else's initials on it. My car, my money, my choice. And the plates are legal. Nothing wrong with my reproductive system; the results are draining my bank account as I type. Personal plates seem a strangely emotive issue here. Get the car you want, colour you want, the wheels/trims you want, bling it up how you like and noone gives a toss. Put a personal plate on it and suddenly we get all catty and try and have difficulty stopping ourselves laughing up our sleeves. Apparently.

And, yes, the caravan and the trailer have personal plates on them to match the car.

Anyone apopleptic yet?

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Personalised Number Plates - Robin Reliant
And, yes, the caravan and the trailer have personal plates on
them to match the car.
Anyone apopleptic yet?
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land

I'd admit to a personal plate, but a CARAVAN?

Nooooooooo!!!
--
Personalised Number Plates - Westpig
nice response Hawkeye........

i don't bother with big wheels, upgraded stereo etc, etc but don't mind if others do...their choice

i bought SWMBO a plate for her birthday,...... my first initial,4, then her three initials e.g. X4XXX

went down like a treat, she thought it was really thoughtful and it didn't do me any harm in the reproductive bit either.

My car has one from over 5 years ago, transferred over from the last one, as my first name only has three letters and i fancied a plate that i can keep for ever . £250 all in, in 2001 (from DVLA and includes the transfer fee and VAT) didn't seem that bad to me.

i think it's 'horses for courses' again,....... what harm is it?
Having your initials on an otherwise normal plate - no harm at all. Nobody else is any the wiser, you get a nice feeling when you see it. It wouldn't even raise a snigger. It's the desparate attempts to spell other words using numbers for letters and realignments etc that make me laugh.
Personalised Number Plates - George Porge
If you buy the right plate it will also increase in value. My bro in laws plate that he paid £250 for has potential to make big money should he decide to sell it, it spells the name of a multi national company and also one with motoring links
Personalised Number Plates - Lud
When I see cars with my initials in the number plate, often with another letter too - K for kill, S for scorn, P for pathetic, things like that - I always superstitously give them a wide berth thinking: 'It's got my name on it.'

People undergoing some kinds of psychotic episode often see messages in the number plates of passing cars. Thinking of a word to contain all the letters in passing number plates in the correct order, with a bonus if they are actually contiguous in the word and an extra bonus if they are a word, makes a good game for children over six or so to relieve boredom.

As for 'GARY 1' and so forth I don't give a monkey's. Innocent vanity doesn't offend me.

Personalised Number Plates - Round The Bend
I always superstitously give them a wide berth thinking: 'It's got my name on it.' ................People undergoing some kinds of psychotic episode often see messages in the number plates of passing cars. >>

Wow! Breathtaking stuff there Lud!
_______
IanS
Personalised Number Plates - stevied
Personalised Number Plates - DP
Personalised Number Plates - Peter D
You re-arrange the characters and drive around at your age and you'll excite the boys in blue more that you will like. Add to this all the automatic number plate recognition going on and you will soon receive a warning and eventually cancel your number plate at your cost and your cost to abtain legal replagement plates and registration number. Regards Peter
Personalised Number Plates - helicopter
I have seen the BOL etc number on a Rolls Royce in Croydon years ago - It made me laugh but I would not spend my hard earned cash on a personal plate.

All Torque -

Why not just change your name by deed poll instead to whatever is on your existing plate so everyone would know you as Mr AB06XYZ or whatever your registration is ?

Much cheaper than forking out for a personal plate that doesn't mean a thing to anyone but you.
Do you read Viz, Helicopter? : )
Personalised Number Plates - helicopter
Not recently - stevied - Why?

I ssed to enjoy reading the Fat Slags - it reminded of my youth clubbing in Newcastle .... : o)
Personalised Number Plates - Gromit {P}
AllTorque,
Coming back to your original question, I don't think (IMHO) that X5 AMX is worth paying for.

1) You'll have to display it as X5 AMX, not X 5AM X. Who's going to know what that means, except you?

2) X 5AM X looks daft (whoever said it looks like blowing kisses to the world isn't far off). Again, IMHO.

3) Why spend good money on a plate you don't really want when you could get something more individual by being inventive. The suggestions for your initials or home county sound better. And if the aim is to disguise the age of the car, any plate will do.

How about X5 SBC - Sam Brown's Car? You can transfer it to your next car (and the next 10 after that) and it'll still make sense...
Personalised Number Plates - Waino
Haven't all the X5s been taken up by BMW suv owners?
Personalised Number Plates - Vin {P}
Now, I don't mind personalised plates. I wouldn't; I have one. It says my name without any spacing shennanigans. You will certainly know me if you see me. One of the things I like is that I'll probably be able to sell it for the pittance it cost me in a few years. I also like the fact that I can drive a car without any "age snobbery" at my choice to keep cars a little longer than some people would seem to like.

The one thing I don't get is getting a number plate that reflects the car it's on, e.g. X5 or TT, etc. They look fine, but will become valueless over time, surely?

V
Personalised Number Plates - BazzaBear {P}
Do you read Viz, Helicopter? : )

I'm really not old enough to admit knowing this, but I think Viz must have stolen the idea, because I remember Jasper Carrott making the point a long time ago.
: ) I think you're right, and I am not old enough either!

As for personalised plates, I don't like them, but each to their own. I do have a pet hate about stupid fonts.

If there's one thing I really like it's a stupid font, stevied. What have you got against them?

A nice Arabic number plate for example.
: )

Ho ho.
Personalised Number Plates - bell boy
wife recognises me straight away in my vehicle with its PP if you can afford it Alltorgue (and no money?) go for it its not snobbery in my book unless they have really had the letters messed with,my pet hate is the slang way of writing normal plates to make the owners look prats (its not a rude word in case filter barrier barricades this small word) and it usually works . they are
as said get it bought and fill the govt coffers with more wonga,you know you want to
Personalised Number Plates - Sim-O
I saw a a plate on a Roller once, 'A1'.
.*********
Personalised Number Plates - Sim-O
err, why the line of stars?
Personalised Number Plates - AdrianM
I see no problem with a private/cherished plate, I know what I would buy if I had the money (and a new enough car!). What riles me (same as most others) is the blatant abuse - wrong spacing, illegal fonts, dodgy screwheads etc.

The best plate I know belongs to guy at work. He has a standard prefix plate, standard spacing and font and it spells out his first name and initial of surname. You would never know - unless you happen to know the guy himself, and even then it took a long time for it to dawn on me. If a plate can be cool then this is the way to do it - it is meaningful to him, friends/colleagues also get it, everyone else is clueless.
Personalised Number Plates - cockle {P}
I see no problem with a private/cherished plate, I know what
I would buy if I had the money (and a new
enough car!). What riles me (same as most others) is
the blatant abuse - wrong spacing, illegal fonts, dodgy screwheads etc.

Agree 100% on that, quite happy for people to buy whatever plate they want so long as it's still readable by everyone else.

The one thing I've never really understood though is why it's considered cool to have doctored plates but it was/is considered to be totally 'chav' like to have your proper name on a plastic sun strip over the windscreen a la Wayne and Waynetta? Can't see the difference really.
Personalised Number Plates - Baskerville
err, why the line of stars?

The forum software automatically hides anything it thinks might be a password. Go on, try it.
Personalised Number Plates - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I saw a a plate on a Roller once, 'A1'.

That would belong to Lord Montague of Bealieu probably. An ancestor of his got this the first registration plate after the repealof the red flag act etc.
Now, my SIL is getting the registration of her new silver Corolla replaced by the one from her previous silver Corolla. The neighbors willl be very ........ confused.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Personalised Number Plates - Peter D
Personalised Number Plates.. What a great title to open up a can of worms on this great Forum. Regards Peter
Personalised Number Plates - Dynamic Dave
>> err, why the line of stars?
The forum software automatically hides anything it thinks might be a password. Go on, try it.

Swearfilter actually. DD.

Quoted original message but that was no good either.

Heheheheh stevied.

The wheel a justice dem grin slow but dem grin exceedin small eventually so to speak.

We all been there wit we favourite rudeboy numberplate.
Personalised Number Plates - Westpig
Nobody else is any the wiser, you get a
nice feeling when you see it. It wouldn't even raise a
snigger.

i genuinely don't get this.........why would me having my first name fully spelt out on a number plate, cause someone else to snigger?.... i think i'm lucky to have the opportunity to have a meaningful plate i.e it's got my name on it, that i can keep for good. For the next 30-40 years of driving (if i'm around that long), i'll have the same plate. I quite like the idea.

Not the reason why i did it, but it will increase in value as well.

Is it a snobbery thing, jealousy, am i considered a chav?.............what's the score, i'd really like to know.
Is it a snobbery thing, jealousy, am i considered a chav?.............what's
the score, i'd really like to know.

Okay, you've asked, and it's a good question.

I'm not sure actually. I think it's a personality thing. I like having a nice but anonymous car, and would prefer not to draw any attention to myself. Having personal plates that shout your name seems a little egotistical and a little vacuous to me, because I don't personally see the point. They are in the same category as showy but not actually very good cars (hairdressers cars like the previous generation SLK for example) - expensive, nice, but not what I'd chose to spend my money on. I think the Q-car is far more the way to go, hence my comment about using plates to disguise a new car.

Having said all that, I will concede that there is nothing at all wrong with it, unless it's all re-spaced and touched up to render another phrase, when I'm jealous that you won't get nicked by speed cameras.

I guess what I'm saying is that, because I don't personally see the point, I think it's funny that someone's ?wasted? their money on the plates. However, when challenged about it as now, I'll admit that actually there's nothing much wrong with it. Indeed, maybe I should get a life and not waste time arguing about something that I don't really have strong views on and that isn't hurting anyone?
Personalised Number Plates - JH
With the X either side I just can't get "Kissie, kissie Kermie!" out of my head. ;-)

JH
Personalised Number Plates - GroovyMucker
Recent case.

£250 fine for each plate and £364 costs.

Couldn't you find something better to spend £864 on?

cherished registration mark - Imagos
Remember there is no such thing as a personalised number plate. Even so it's better than the terrible and incorrect term 'private plate'.

Correct term is cherished registration mark.

Any plate can be a cherished plate whether it's prefix, suffix or dateless. Anyone can transfer their mark so long as you stick to the transfer rules.