Peugeot 106 - occasional starting prob - Stuart E
My daughter has had an intermittent problem with the car occasionally not starting, ie turning over but not firing. Up to now it has always started eventually ,sometimes after a few minutes or even the next day.
Althought HT leads etc have been changed, no real solution has been forthcoming, the usual response being that there is no fault to find when the car is driven into the garage after it has atarted! It has now packed up completely but needs a tow away for diagnosis. Before more of her hard earned cash is burned does anyone have any ideas?
Peugeot 106 - stevied
Is it a 1.5 diesel by any chance?
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
With HT leads? There's an engine development I've not yet met.

Peugeot 106 - stevied
Oh yeah... bit keen there! Sorry. I have a friend who had a massively annoying problem with a 1.5 diesel 106, a very rare engine.. and jumped into the debate without reading properly!
Peugeot 106 - 659FBE
What year? 1998 > there is a problem with the Valeo transponder reader coil around the ignition lock which is part of the immobiliser.

If of this vintage, and if you are reasonably practical (and have a Torx driver set) I'll post the fix. If not, the bits are not too expensive (but you still need the Torx driver to fit it).

Peugeot 106 - Peter D
If the car eventual starts and instantly runs as thou nothing was wrong then 659FBE is spot on with the 98 and early 99 models. The replacement coil is usually in stock and £15.07 last time I did one.

Bit of a squeeze to get the under cowling off but OK 15 mins tops job done. Regards Peter
Peugeot 106 - Lud
My early-nineties Ford sometimes refuses to start because the fuel pump relay has worked its way up on its pins and disconnected itself. If late 106s are injected, as I suppose they must be, then this may be a possibility.
Peugeot 106 - madf
99% certain it's transponder.. had it on older son's one..

The fix is: (copied from earlier thread for my own use)

Hi, The Aerial unit Part Number for an R plate 106 1.1 is
# 616050 easily fitted by undoing the retaining screws ( 3 ) the column surround and sliding the lower cowling away from the dash towards the steering wheel. You will need to use a little force to flex the cowling so it clears the metal bracket under the column that you removed the centre screw from. The cowl will then drop down and the connector ( 6 pin small, 4 pins used ) can be removed from the black Aerial unit that forms the surround of the ignition barrel replace the unit reconnect and test as appropriate, replace cowls screws etc and job done. The 98 model was the first to have the transponder unit rather than the keypad and there was a known reliability issue that came to light and even my small local Pug dealer keeps these units in stock due to the problem. Regards Peter

madf
Peugeot 106 - Stuart E
Many thanks for this. Sounds like deal so will give it a go.

Regards

Stuart
Peugeot 106 - madf
99% certain it's transponder: copy of fix below from ealier thread

Hi, The Aerial unit Part Number for an R plate 106 1.1 is
# 616050 easily fitted by undoing the retaining screws ( 3 ) the column surround and sliding the lower cowling away from the dash towards the steering wheel. You will need to use a little force to flex the cowling so it clears the metal bracket under the column that you removed the centre screw from. The cowl will then drop down and the connector ( 6 pin small, 4 pins used ) can be removed from the black Aerial unit that forms the surround of the ignition barrel replace the unit reconnect and test as appropriate, replace cowls screws etc and job done. The 98 model was the first to have the transponder unit rather than the keypad and there was a known reliability issue that came to light and even my small local Pug dealer keeps these units in stock due to the problem. Regards Peter

madf