Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Ross D
Hi all.

Just looking for some advice on a screaching noise my 16v corrado has started to make.

It usually makes the noise when I first start it in the morning, or after any significant period when it is left stationary ie. when i leave work.

The fan belt is about 6months old and appears to be correctly tensioned. So I am at a loss as too what it actually is making the noise. Could it be the power steering pump drive belt.

What I am really worried about, is that it could be the timing belt tensioner. I read in HJ column that these can start to screach when there on there way out. However I dont know if this applies to my engine type or not.

Cheers
Ross

P.S. I should probably also mention that the screaching stops after an embarrasing couple of seconds after starting the car!
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Dave
It woon't be the timing belt - that's got teeth and if it slips you'd get other symptoms. [1]

[1] An urgent need to take it to the scrappie.
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Andrew Barnes
It definately COULD be the timing belt. The tensioner pulley can seize and the belt rubs against the stationary pulley, eventually the belt snaps - check this asap.

To rule out the fan belt, get the noise to occur, then spray WD40 all over it, if the noise disappears then it is the culprit.

Cheers

Andrew
www.hispecgolfs.co.uk
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Dan Brownstone
Check the alternator and water pump bearings, if these are on their way out it can cause the fanbelt to screech, I had the problem on a 1990 Jetta - it was the waterpump about to hand its notice in......
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Ben Chapman
This is good advice. The water pump failed on my '88 Jetta. I think its a fiarly common problem. But i would say the most likely cuase for a screetch is the power steering pump belt.
Unless you fitted the last timing belt and tensioner, its a good idea to have a look underneath and check all is ok. I have knackered a pattern cambelt in 14k miles on this engine with the belt tension set correctly. Get it wrong and it could wear out even quicker. If you are uncertian when the belt or tensioner was last changed replace them both using VAG parts- dont waste your time with crap pattern parts like i did.

Ben Chapman.
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Dwight Van Driver

Ross,

Fingers crossed and go to

www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=1026

which may identify your screetch.

If not, nevertheless interesting reading?

DVD
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Honest John
I go with Andrew's diagnosis for the simple reason it happened to me. I thought it was the alternator. It was the timing belt tensioner. The bearings in these tend to last roughly 80,000 miles ands when they start to go they either screech themselves or seize momentarily so the flat side of the timing belt screeches over the pulley. The water pump on these engines driven by the auxiliary belt.

HJ
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - mybrainhurts
Have you checked for the presence of a cat under the bonnet?

Might be waking it when you start up...............
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Ross D
Just like to say thanks for all your advice!

I guess I had better go and phone for a few quotes!!

Thanks again
Ross
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
If it is a sort of whining noise on start-up which dissapears quite rapidly it is most likely the oil pressure relief valve chattering on its seat as it does its job. Check your oil viscosity and quality. If it is screeching check that the correct width auxiliary belts have been fitted as well as the condition of the cambelt and tensioner.
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Geordie Chris's Cat
No, the cat isn't under the bonnet, getting up under the bonnet to sleep is risky anyway, and difficult in these days of undershielding.

The cat is to be found two thirds of the way along the car, and they stay warm long after the owner has left. <@O¬
Re: Screaching noise on a 16v Corrado - Ian Cook
Geordie Chris's Cat wrote:
>
> No, the cat isn't under the bonnet, getting up under the
> bonnet to sleep is risky anyway, and difficult in these days
> of undershielding.
>
> The cat is to be found two thirds of the way along the car,
> and they stay warm long after the owner has left. <@O¬

Only partly true, this. A few years ago our cat's favourite sleeping place was on top of the engine of SWMBO's Maestro. He would wait until she came home from work (car nice and warm) and had walked away from the car, then he would sneak up under the bonnet. The give-away was the light coloured fur all over the top of the engine and underside of the bonnet.

He never came to any harm.

Ian