Laguna DCi 52 plate - Barnesy
My Laguna 1.9DCi has started misbehaving! My 'glow-plug' indicator iluminated yesterday and I lost power, the engine continued to idle, but I lost the ability to accelerate. On switching off and on again the engine self revved to 5000 and then returned to 1000 of its own volition. I have been able to drive the car today but randomly the glow-plug indicator illuminates and I lose power. I am sure that this is an EMU fault - has anyone experienced a similar problem? Is this a common problem? Trying to avoid a £60 diagnostic charge and an additional £60 supply and fit charge.

Cheers for your help.

Barnesy
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Altea Ego
Common faults on DCi's is EGR valve, Injector(s) & Turbo.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Collos25
If you look at past posts you find all you did not want to know about this disaster of a car in all diesel forms even Renault could not permantly solve the same problem I had with mine,may I suggest before you jeopardize your sanity you get rid of it .You will also save large amounts of moneyCleaning the EGR is only a temp fix it could be a faulty ECU but the replacement from Renault could have the same fault there are also a number of temp sensors which are not programmed into the ECU which can go faulty so there is no record to look at,it could be the MAF but I have already got to £2k's worth of parts and labour by Renaults prices and you might still have the problem.
Laguna DCi 52 plate - mr.freezer
I'll second that.

One of the Lagunas I drove had that problem also and it was nothing but costly (for the lease company ) and time consuming bother.

On the Laguna subject, I met a rep from another company at a trade show today who had suffered two Lagunas from a company fleet of around 8 that all played up, some involving scary experiences at speed.

Get rid. I've not come accross a happy Laguna driving rep yet. They feel cheap and nasty inside as well.....like my soul.
Mr chilly, the interior quality of the laguna is easily as good, in fact in quality of materials BETTER than VW,
The exterior panel fit was miles better as well.

Yes I did 46k in a laguna, and I now have a VW so I know of which i speak.

They were 46k happy miles by the way.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Pugugly {P}
well 45.999k !
yes the last 100 yards was a bit hairy.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Adam {P}
>.yes the last 100 yards was a bit hairy.<<

Why's that then RF?
Laguna DCi 52 plate - mr.freezer
Thats why I drive a Skoda now and constantly get a warm feeling on how well its screwed together and does not leave me stranded at the side of the road etc.

I can appreciate that you may have got a Laguna that slipped through the net
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Micky
Take Laguna to local Ford dealer, part-ex for a nice petrol Mondeo.

More seriously, is this the Renault engine that burns its own engine oil and revs to destruction?
Laguna DCi 52 plate - AlastairW
Slight digression. A colleague has just put 4 litres of petrol in his year old 1.9dCi 120 Laguna. Renault dealer told him to brim with diesel then drive as normal ie: without draining the petrol from the tank. Any guesses as to when his fuel pump will fail?
It will make no detremental difference it will only clean the injectors.
Mr chilly, the interior quality of the laguna is easily as good, in fact in quality of materials BETTER than VW,
The exterior panel fit was miles better as well.

Where did you buy those rose tinted glasses?
Laguna DCi 52 plate - cheddar

RF clearly liked his Laguna, I have heard that they can be problematic so would not buy one.

However re Renault in general I beleive that my wife and I would be very fortunate when we change her '98 Clio to find another car that will give us such good service. But for needing a new battery a few months ago it has never let us down, the interior scrubs up as new and the paintwork is great but for a number of carpark dings, it is still fun to drive and the chassis is very supple, as new really, amazingly free of clunks and rattles for a small car of any age.

I did 46k in one, you didnt, I have a new VW you havent,

Next question?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
It will make no detremental difference it will only clean the
injectors.

It can reduce the lubricity of the diesel and cause premature wear to the high pressure CR pump.
4 litres! Rubbish
4 litres! Rubbish

Put it this way, I would not pay a fortune to have 4 ltrs removed and the fuel system cleaned out though there is no question that such an amount can, not will, can reduce the lubricity of the diesel to such an extent that premature wear to the high pressure pump ensues.
Laguna DCi 52 plate - Xileno {P}
My advice would be not to drive this car until you've had it checked over. My suspicion is that something more costly is around the corner.

What can sometimes happen is the turbo seals wear, leading to the sump oil getting fed back into the engine. This then can cause the engine to rev itself to death and sometimes even stalling it doesn't work - particularly if the clutch is past its best. You mention that the engine revved to 5000 rpm then sttled back. This **may** be an early indication of the problem. You are then looking at a new engine and intercooler. This is the worst case scenario, there are some reports of it happening but taking into account the huge number of vehicles fitted with this engine, it is difficult to calculate a failure rate.

I believe that on later 1.9dCi engines the turbo oil feed pipes were modified and of course the ridiculous (IMO) oil change interval has been reduced.

If you are lucky then your car may meet the criteria of the Yellow OTS, where Renault are contributing to the cost of turbo failure on these engines provided certain criteria are met. IIRC these are that the car must have a full service history and be no more than 5 years old and have no more than 90K on the clock. Worth checking though because I may be wrong, the criteria were changed (in the owners favour for once!) a short while back.
Laguna DCi 52 plate - PW
>.yes the last 100 yards was a bit hairy.<<

Why's that then RF?

About as subtle as a bus Adam. Was seriously considering getting one of these. Starting to think twice now.