passat 130 cambelt - dervterrier
Can anyone tell me when the cambelt should be changed mine is 2001 model just done 53000 not been changed yet ,I was told it was 60000 but I have read on another forum they were changing them after 40000.
passat 130 cambelt - TimOrridge
Assuming it is the original, best advice would be to change it now rather than grit teeth for another 7K. Dont take chances with anything like that. 40000 seems a fair interval. Im no serious mechanic myself, just makes common sense.

I believe VAG recommendation interval is 60K, that is probably true

REgards,

""BTW just pulled this off earlier post (you may have been looking there?

Just took mt 2001 Passat TDI PD into the local VW dealers for its 50k service, (a £98 oil and filter change) asked about the cam belt and was told its due at 60k.

I asked how much it would be, should I start saving now, and was told it would be between £600 and £700 plus the service.

I was also told having the work done elsewhere ie independant or backstreet would invalidate the warranty.

Sigh

As ever

Mark

Hi Sean

I did check this out as the handbook said 40k; at the 40k service another VW main dealer insisted it was 60k for the change today at the 50k service another main dealer said 60k but some of the earlier PDs are 40k; it depends on the engine number apparently and when I paid up they assured me the engine no meant I had a 60k one. As a rule of thumb they told me most VWs are 60k diesel, 80k petrol or some Sharans are now 120k or so they claimed with quite a bit of conviction. I have just over a years warranty left on it and will do 10k in the next 2-3 months so it looks like I will have to fork out quite a bit. I did find last time it was cheaper to have a major service done in a poorer part of Scotland (I was there on business) than here in affluent Cheshire.

as ever

Mark""
passat 130 cambelt - Dynamic Dave
Isn't it now every 4yrs /40,000 miles (whichever comes soonest) ?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=37741
passat 130 cambelt - AlanGowdy
How come my SEAT Ibiza, also with a PD engine, cost less than £300 to have its cambelt changed - and at a franchised dealer?
passat 130 cambelt - Roly93
This should be changed now, as I understand from Audi (I have an A4 with the same engine) that it is 60,000 miles or 4 years whichever is sooner.
It is not just about mileage, age must be taken into consideration also.