Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - audiaudi
Hello, a friend was stopped today for speeding through the city centre. 3 other people were in the car, including me.

It was a built up area, one way street, 3 lanes with cars parked in one lane. From the light, my friend over took a motorbike. The man on the bike was do over 35 - 40 max and the friend was touching 45-50.

At the next lights the man polled up and asked my friend to roll down the window and asked if he knew the speed limit was 30mph. My friend thought it was a busy body and many motorbiles about returning home from work and replied, 'not to worry friend' and drove on.

At the next set of traffic light, the man on the bike over took us and pulled up at the red lights, disimbarked his bike and came over and told him he was a 'police office' and would have defo booked him if he was on duty. The so-called cop produced some light IS card, but no badge anf told my friend to drive at 30mph as he will be following him and will book him if he breached 30mph in a 30 zone. My matre apologised as he did not want any hassel and he knew he was wrong, but most vehicles travel between 35/50 mph there.

We later thoughtid the ID was real and even if the so-called cop had booked our friend, it would have been the so-called cops word against my friends. Although my friend was breaking the speed limit, there were no children/adults about on foot and most vehicles breach the 30 limit.

My question is, could the so-called off duty cop booked my friend and would the cps taken it to court if my friend refused a fixed penalty (if that is allowed) from a so-called off duty cop.

YES: I know that my friend was breaking the law, but so was the cop and the ones we see every day in marked cars breaking the 30 limit and undertaking cars without their blue lights on. Does that mean that my friend could stop a marked police car and arrest the,m?

Forthe record, the so-called cops bike was a private, non police bike and the na was not in uniform.
Thanks
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Pugugly {P}
No.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - massey
very unlikely he was a real cop. If he was he's an idiot.

Very difficult for him to prosecute for the reason the speedo of an non police bikwe would not be offically calibrated for accuracy.
pp - thanks.

Nassey - that is what we all thought later and it would have been his word against my friends. If it was me, I would have called his bluff. However, and on the other hand, I too would have been inclined to apologise. But we did all think the guy was a fool.

The number of times I see people using mobiles, reading the map, reading paers in moving traffic and trying to drive.

100's of times I've seen people using the mobile and lorry drivers trying to negotiate a roundabout and phone to the ear. The phones users are easily spotted as they are not keeping up with the traffic

Thanks
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Hamsafar
www.rjerrard.co.uk/law/articles/civilianpowersofar...l

is worth a look for those interested in recent changes in the law regarding citizen's power of arrest.
Thanks Ashok,
But as the other guy said, the bike did not have an officialy calibrated speedo and his word against friends.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Altea Ego
Had your friend been behaving really badly, had the cop been real, you would have got about another mile down the road before the transit van full of the thug shift stopped you and dragged you out.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Had your friend been behaving really badly, had the cop been
real, you would have got about another mile down the road
before the transit van full of the thug shift stopped you
and dragged you out.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

My friend was polite. It would have been interesting to find out what the so-called cop could have done if my friend had insited to leave him alone and he would call the cops the next time th so-called cop on the bike harassed him. My friends car is totally road leagal and he was driving fast be paying attention to his driving.

Anyone every heard about anything like this before, ie not a chav drinving a suspect car, but someone dress in causal wear, nice new car, a bit fast but paying full attention to his his driving and remain polite when asked ' police type questions by a civi - it was only on the second stop the so-called cop introd self as cop, but we have our doubts.

also been chaecking the web, and it's higly unlikely the so-called offf suty/jobs worht could have done anything.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Martin Devon
That's if they weren't in the said van at the back of some drinking hole enjoying a pint. Mods don't remove this. I know. I used to serve them.

MD
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Westpig
Martin,

20 years ago or 25?
Martin,
20 years ago or 25?

Nearer 27 years ago I fancy. Should I ask, "why you ask?"

VBR............................................MD.
things have changed a bit
things have changed a bit

Wrong, if that reply was to me.

The only difference it seems is that one is now called Mate and not Sir and from some bod who cannot, or cannot be bothered to do his tie, or his top button up. Cos they're getting fatter and I hear that 'they' are about to relax some of the more strenuous tests for admission into the boys in the volvo brigade.

Ah! well.............MD.
Sounds most unlikely that it was a real cop...... although there have been the odd one or two who have been over zealous and do stupid things off duty. Usually though they are young and have joined for the wrong reasons i.e a power trip.

Would be very rare if not unheard oft that a more mature officer would do that, even if they were new to policing.

Don't suppose you copped a registration number? It could be easily checked.

If it was a police officer there is a very strict discipline code that they have to adhere to which he would have fallen foul of.

Even if on duty, you have to be in uniform to stop a motor vehicle on a road...... no uniform, no power to require someone to stop ....... although debatable if you were already stopped for a light and were prevented from driving on... the above advice is accurate about the speedo calibration......and if calibrated equipment is not used you'd need the evidence of two officers, so that they can corroborate each other.

If you think about it, any off-duty cop willing to 'get involved' in something as minor as you've described would be busy all day wouldn't they....their supervisors (necessary to supervise their written reports) wouldn't have it and the criminal justice unit certainly wouldn't process the paperwork, let alone the CPS prosecuting it.

I think you've been had over by Walter Mitty.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - rtj70
I know of someone who got off a speeding offence (maybe 10 years ago) because the officer was not wearing full uniform - he didn't have his cap on.

The person was speeding and was stopped by police. But got off on this technicality, plus they got everyone out of the car and searched them.

I assume the law's loopholes tightened now.
yes......... the 'uniform' only has to be recognisable to the avearge person as being that of a police officer

powers to search people have gone the other way i.e. to the benefit of the individual... there must be 'reasonable grounds' and specific object, individual entitled to copy of form etc
Thanks all

Looks like a 50/s0 he was not a real cop.

What makes me laugh is the intially response by my friend re the 30mph question and my friend calmy replied, 'not to worry friend' closed his window and speed off again :)

I would have taken the so-called cops nuber but when he stoped us at the lights, his bike a good 20 feet in from of our car and at an approx 25' angle, we felt he was a cop.

He was at least 55, spoke clealry, softly and no real accent. The ID had no metal badge. I was inclined to ask to closer insepct but did not want to worry my friend or possibly get him into trouble.

the man on the bike also promised to charge my friend as he was to follow him for a few miles and if my friend broke the 30mph, he would book him. But after a few seconds he diappeared.

50/50 he was fake - motorbike, about 350cc, dark clour, bit like the old BSA - the man was wearing black waterproof gear, dark blue and a bit of white in his helmet - wore glasses and tash. He remided me of (just a little bit) the bus inspector on the tv show from years ago 'Om The Buses'!

Thanks you all!!
He remided me of (just a little bit) the bus inspector on the tv show from
years ago 'Om The Buses'!

BLAKEY! get that bus out!

MD
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Altea Ego
He remided me of (just a little bit) the bus inspector
on the tv show from
>> years ago 'Om The Buses'!
>>
BLAKEY! get that bus out!

I hate you butler
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - artful dodger {P}
>>I hate you butler

As in all crimes, the butler did it!

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Stuartli
>>but most vehicles travel between 35/50 mph there.>>

No excuse.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - bell boy
next time your mate sees him on this road tell him to get out of his car and kick the bike over this will result in
(A) he will get punched
(B) he will get arrested
(C) it should be a good wheeze
please report back if he takes my advice
next time your mate sees him on this road tell him
to get out of his car and kick the bike over
this will result in
(A) he will get punched
(B) he will get arrested
(C) it should be a good wheeze
please report back if he takes my advice

Thanks, but no thanks.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Fullchat
Ok the. 'Off duty cop' sees an apalling piece of driving, remember people only tell you the bits that suit their purpose.

1. Actually you ar never really 'off duty' you are just not at work. Police Regulations can be evoked whether you are at work or not. You join the job you sell your soul!
2. The 'off duty' cop felt that on this occasion the driver should be spoken to and as he was in a position to do so he would. Of course he would not have the power to stop.
3.Whilst he would not have the power to report for speeding at that time nevertheless he thought the threat of doing so would have an impact which it did. Quite sobering to think that people who perform out of the view of uniformed police are still being watched.
4.Single person and vulnerable on a motorcycle challenges a car with three occupants.

Perhaps he should be given some praise!

Just trying to look at the bigger picture for those who are quick to condem.

--
Fullchat
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Chicken Vindaloo
I'm inclined to agree with you Fullchat. You made some good points, a couple of which I can relate to past experiences.

Re the challange by this so-called chap, don't think so.

It was braod day light, CCTV everywhere, loads of people in cars and bikes. Frien'ds car, an Audi A4, FSi I think on a 56 plate. Friend in smart causal gear and looks like a bank worker, but in a fact Care Manager for the local Social Services. Me and my our 2 friends, all very smartly dressed and groomed. No load music, no smoking, no flash strips on cars or blacked out windows. Us three did not utter a word.

Re the 'single person vulnerable on....' when our friend passed hime at 45-ish, the man on the bike was defo 35+ mph.

My friend is 'black' West Indian and the other two gentlemen are asian as well as me and all around the 30 mark other than the driver who is a bit younger.

A polite response in a nice tone was given be friend. Friend was brave enough to pull down the window the second time as the so-called cop never indicated intially he was a cop, could have easily been a car jacker!

In conclusion, my friend acted bravely as well as we did as the man on the bike could have easily been a nutter or car jacker and car jacking has be known in our city.

<<<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There were motor bikes and cars weaving in and out of traffic left right and centre. We all felt that he stopped us intially just to feel important and the fact he was over taken safely when he was doing 35/40 in a 30 zone.

Re giving the so-called cop 'praise' - don't think so as my friend was not reckless and then so-called cop, if he was HALF sensible should have waved his warrant card intially as everyone has heard stories re fake cops. If it had been night time, we would have told our friend to drive on and tried to get away from this ordinary looking male on a motor bike and possibly caused an accident because of this fool.

Coming to think of it (must admit I could not and would not know what a real warrant card loked like) the card did not have a metal badge and even if it did, that is no gurantee the man was a genuine cop, or may be even retired and re-living the good old days!

If he was sensible, I'm certain that all will agree, the so-called cop would have let it be known he was a cop, but off duty!
>>but most vehicles travel between 35/50 mph there.>>
No excuse.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

READ MY ORGINAL MESSAGE, MATE.
>>READ MY ORGINAL MESSAGE, MATE.>>

I did and it's taken from your original message. You openly admit that the speed limit was being exceeded prior to this point by your friend.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Pugugly {P}
YES: I know that my friend was breaking the law, but so was the cop and the ones we see every day in marked cars breaking the 30 limit and undertaking cars without their blue lights on. Does that mean that my friend could stop a marked police car and arrest the,m?

Answering that bit, the "off duty cop" would have a defence in law that in exceeding the speed limit that he was doing it for a "Policing Purpose". If you want to start arresting people make sure that you comply with the SOCAP conditions on a Citizen or you could find yourself in a whole heap of trouble including the painful variety. SOCAP has got rid of the old Arrestable Offences and also Conditional Offences conferred under PACE but only for Police Officers (real ones not PCSOs and VOSA staff), basically Police Officers can arrest for any offence now (including speeding) if certain conditions are not met including the awful use of the word "disappear" in the Act. But even El Presedente Blair can;t get rid of Common Law arrest powers. In my opinion if he was areal cop he was a mug and put himself in a very vulnerable position both legally and physically. As to the old chesnut of having to wear a cap/hat/helmet that's a load of old guff.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - midlifecrisis
My cap is all squashed up in the bottom of my bag and has been so for about six-seven years. Never wear a tie because body armour makes it stick right in your throat, nor do I except any member of my shift to do so!

Having said that, if you can't recognise me as a Police Officer, you need a white stick.
My cap is all squashed up in the bottom of my
bag and has been so for about six-seven years. Never wear
a tie because body armour makes it stick right in your
throat, nor do I except any member of my shift to
do so!
Having said that, if you can't recognise me as a Police
Officer, you need a white stick.

In that case my friend, if your statement is to be believed, you not onlu putting yourself at risk, but risking the lives of your colleauges and public.

Most people don't take it to kindly if that are told by a 'civi' that they are speeding and being pulled up on an ordinary bike and then the person not intially declaring he/she is a police officer.

What happened to my friend and us today is very unusal and rest assured if the car was a banger and full of thugs, their respone would of been @@@@@@@@@@ and on your bike or worse. Trust me, if the 'thugs car had been road legal as well as the driver, the police could not have done anyhting and you know that!
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - midlifecrisis
What are you talking about!! I'm not quite sure how not wearing a tie puts my collegues at risk. If you can't see the big word 'Police' written across my body armour, plus the bright yellow jacket, with the big word 'Police' written on it, plus the big badges on my shoulders and attached to the front of my body armour, you need a white stick!!

Not wearing a hat, does not mean you can get off a ticket!
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - PhilW
"It was a built up area, one way street, 3 lanes with cars parked in one lane. From the light, my friend over took a motorbike. The man on the bike was do over 35 - 40 max and the friend was touching 45-50."
So what exactly are you complaining about?
Why did your friend overtake a motorbike doing 40 in a 30 limit?
Why did your friend do 50 in a 30 limit?
So what if it was an off duty policeman?
So what if it was a local nutter?
What does it matter that you were wearing suits and looking like bankers (but are social workers?)
Does his colour make a difference?
Does your colour make a difference?
"my friend was not reckless" - of course not, overtaking at 50 in a 30 limit.
"possibly caused an accident because of this fool" rather than the fool overtaking at 50 in a 30 limit I suppose

He "put our lives at risk?" What by stopping you doing 50 in a 30 limit?
"this guy was speeding " Oh, I see , that makes your speeding Ok then?
"no very serious offence was taking place " overtaking at 50 in a 30 limit? not very serious? wonder why my son got done £60 and had 3 points for doing 33 on a dual carriageway 30 limit then?
"If he was sensible, I'm certain that all will agree" that the driver should not have been doing 50 in a 30 limit

Sorry, I just don't get it. maybe I'm just thick.

--
Phil
In reply to Pugugly:

Tototally agree.

Having read the net, not even with the new powers did he have the right to hold up my friend, even once he let it be known he was a cop, real or otherwise.

He had no legal device to measure my friends speed.

The facts are, this guy was speeding as well as my friend and almost everyone else, and the nikers were cutting up people and putting their own mecks on the line.

The fact remains, my friend would not have stopped if it was dark and if he felt he was being chased possibly by a nutter/car jacker, anything could have happened.

This so-called cop if he was a real cop put my friends lift, others lives and his life at risk as no very serious offence was taking place and he tried to act as a cop without uniform/vehicle that could easily been mistook for a car jack attempt.

Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Lud
audi: why didn't you and yr three friends leap out and make a citizens' arrest?

That would have taught the so and so!

And you probably would have got away with it too.

I know.:

It's all very well for me to talk.
audi: why didn't you and yr three friends leap out and
make a citizens' arrest?

Hindsight is a great asset, but sadly we do not posses.

I hope this thread helps someone one day.
>>READ MY ORGINAL MESSAGE, MATE.>>
I did and it's taken from your original message. You openly
admit that the speed limit was being exceeded prior to this
point by your friend.
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

So was the so-called cops and my intial message stated that my friend has not once denied that.
"I hope this thread helps someone one day."

How?
--
Phil
"I hope this thread helps someone one day."
How?
--
Phil

You are pulling my leg?

If not, then here it goes.

Looks like my friend was caught out be an ex/retired/real of duty/con cop. Having shared my views here, it has helped me in the fact that I did not know that a non unifired cop could not stop your car or get you to admit to speeding easipically this guy was. Importantly, you could press charges against the off duty cop for causing you anexietystress/etc!

Fact: I personally would never wind my window down to someone who knoecked on my windo and drive to the nearest cop shop or well lit area with lots of people about and sound my horn as it could be a nutter on my case.
Tip off the the ice berg

www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/day/law/060209cop.shtml
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Lud
Yeah but all the same audi speaking as an innocent impoverished motorist I'd say it's the real ones in a bad mood you have to watch out for...
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - PoloGirl
AudiAudi, if you really believe that you've been stopped by someone impersonating a police officer, you need to report it - sounds cliched but the next person he stops or cons his way past could be your innocent granny.

Now, moving on to some of your other highly informed and interesting points:

>The ID had no metal badge.
You've been watching too many american police dramas I think. Can't speak for all forces but our local ones are just plastic credit card sized cards that are carried in normal wallets. They have a force crest, photo and something like Police Officer on them. It would have had his number in big type too - easy for you to note and help you with reporting above.
My cap is all squashed up in the bottom of my
bag and has been so for about six-seven years. Never wear
a tie because body armour makes it stick right in your
throat, nor do I except any member of my shift to
do so!
Having said that, if you can't recognise me as a Police
Officer, you need a white stick.

>In that case my friend, if your statement is to be believed,
>you not onlu putting yourself at risk,
>but risking the lives of your colleauges and public.

How is he putting himself at risk by not wearing his hat and tie? He's wearing body armour and other things that clearly identify him as a police officer. Not really sure the point you're trying to make really... but then I'm not sure you are sure either.

AudiAudi says the "police officer" knows he was speeding because the officer was too. So guilty then m'laud.

And as PG says, the UK police do not have US style metal badges just credit card sized warrant cards. Heck years ago my youngest step-son rang for a lift and had a strop (been drinking at 13!) that you couldn't fit his friends bike in the boot of a Passat Saloon. A chap comes out of the house to see what the problem was and shows me his warrant card to say who he was and why he came out. All sorted of course... that's the short story not including traffic police attending :-)

Bottom line is this motorbike rider could well have been police. Maybe he couldn't do your friend for speeding but he did point out the "problem". Good on him.

P.S. If this was the USA with "metal shield badges" and not credit card sized police warrant cards, he'd have had an automatic weapon to point at your friend too :-) What would he do then I wonder when he spotted a shouldered semi-automatic...
Sad to reply to myself but knowing it was a 30mph zone and "most vehicles travel between 35/50 mph there".... with that logic then most/lots of cars travel above 80mph on a motorway so that's also okay then???

If you travel at more than 26mph above the speed limit and get caught you will see the magistrates - no option to take 3 points and a fine. How many realise that? All on this forum :-) but who else. Because that's 47 in a 30 or 97 on a motorway for a car (not towing). So if the friend was doing above 47 and had points (say 6) then could have lost license. Food for thought.

I still like the idea of a cop with a magnum saying "make my day" ;-)

This is all moving to the speeding thread. Or a new stupid driver thread maybe?

AudiAudi says the "police officer" knows he was speeding because the
officer was too. So guilty then m'laud.
>> Bottom line is this motorbike rider could well have been police.
Maybe he couldn't do your friend for speeding but he did
point out the "problem". Good on him.
P.S. If this was the USA with "metal shield badges" and
not credit card sized police warrant cards, he'd have had an
automatic weapon to point at your friend too :-) What would
he do then I wonder when he spotted a shouldered semi-automatic...

Re the 'good on him...' bit - the bloke put at risk all road users and pedestrians as my friend could have panicked and shot off thinking it was an attmepted car jacking and in the process crash and worse!

The guy on the bike took a risk that was not required and my friend and I now feel that it was pure envy that the cop was over taken as he shot away from the lights and doing up to 40mph, thus breaking the law hineself before our friend over took him.

I told everyone at work to what had happened and most felt that it was an old-ish guy that always wanted to be a copper but never made the grade.. If he was for real, then he is a walking time bomb that is igornat of risk assessments re his actions.

Re the gun you mention - I was stopped in the USA about 4/5 years ago on the Interstate 4 making our way to Miami doing about a hundred in a 70 zone. When I was pulled over I apologised when the officer pointed out it was a 70 zone. I said that back in GB, we were allowed to exceed speed limits on Motorways/Interstates by 40mph conditons permitting and was igornant of their law and apologised again. The officer let me off and we soon started our journey touching 100/120 at times!
Thanks, PG.
"You are pulling my leg?"

No

The whole episode would of course have been avoided had your friend been driving within the law - maybe that would be something to take from the thread.

"drive to the nearest cop shop or well lit area with lots of people about "
I thought you said it happened in broad daylight? "braod day light, CCTV everywhere, loads of people in cars and bikes"

Also let's create your statement in the cop shop ;
Hello officer, "my friend over took a motorbike. The man on the bike was do over 35 - 40 max and the friend was touching 45-50." "my friend was breaking the speed limit but so was the cop and the ones we see every day in marked cars breaking the 30 limit and undertaking cars without their blue lights on. Does that mean that my friend could stop a marked police car and arrest them?" "the initial response by my friend re the 30mph question and my friend calmy replied, 'not to worry friend' closed his window and speed off again "

Sounds like you would get a really good response from your local cop-shop

--
Phil
Note I have reported bad/poor driving and the traffic police have acted. Okay they popped around to speak to me (after checking location of the car) first... but they called around to someone who I witnessed driving badly at 12 midnight on a Sunday. Two burly cops in a V70 estate. Nice :-) The other driver did stop to mouth off at me but I was on the phone to the police at the time (hands free car kit) and the ops room recorded his foul language as well :-) Sweet.

And just spotted "It was a built up area" so you all knew it was a 30mph... and "friend was touching 45-50" hope something more comes of this for your friend. Or maybe he should watchout for the same biker next time because he might be on duty... maybe swap the car :-)
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Collos25
If it is as you say and he was a genuine officer may I suggest your friend sells his car as it now marked for stopping at every chance available.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Dalglish
Frien'ds car, an Audi A4, FSi I think on a 56 plate. Friend in smart causal gear and looks like a bank worker,
but in a fact Care Manager for the local Social Services.

>>

i would report your friend to his employer for exceeding the speed limit by 50%. definitely a very risky and dangerous piece of driving.
your friend is in the wrong job. with his attitude, he should be nowhere near a social serivces care job.
whether the biker was a genuine or fake cop, well done to him for giving your friend the friendly warning to obey the speed limit.

Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - IanJohnson
ask the supposed police officer for his number and station - they get into serious trouble if this is not given when asked!
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - bell boy
ask the supposed police officer for his number and station -
they get into serious trouble if this is not given when
asked!

how can you report them if they dont give zee name or number?
Impersonating traffic cops used to be (may very well still be) a night time problem in Liverpool city centre.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Thommo
If he had stopped me in such a manner then he would have shown me that warrant card and I would have recorded the details but the chances of him actually being a copper are less than 10%.

If he turned out to be impersonating a police officer he would have received an attitude adjustment from me and his bike would have fallen over. If he wished to report me to the fuss then up to him but he would have to explain to them the circumstances in which all this happened.

Far far too many people not minding their own business these days.
i still agree that it is unlikley this was a real cop....however.....

the thing that has genuinely suprised me, is the number of people on here who wouldn't grumble too much about this, if they were stopped in similar circs (if it was a real cop), because of the safety concerns of speeding and/or illegality of the offence.

personally i'd see it as the cop over stepping the mark badly.... and being overly officious, because at it's worst it would be a form of bullying........ 4 smartly dressed blokes in a new A4 would get the talking to...as sure as eggs are eggs the oikmobile wouldn't would it ,they'd just as likely drive over him and his bike.

and further more there's the other elements of putting himself in danger unnecessarily, because he'd have no personal protection equipment (ballistic/stab proof vest, baton or cs spray) or personal radio...if it all went horribly wrong and someone got out with a darned great knife, which increasing numbers of people seem to want to do

if it was really bad dangerous driving, or a noticeable criminal offence then possibly so.......but he'd still likely get a hiding.....but up to the speed suggested by audi audi is not uncommon and whilst not right is, nowadays, a fact of life.
> In reply to westpig

{Message snipped as per the 'Responding to posts' message - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612 - DD}

Many thanks!

I just wish we see him again as his helmet stuck out, the dark blue with a bit of white - the man looked like the Inspector from 'On The Buses' tv sit com show. The tash was exactly like the guy in the com show.

The more I think about it, the more I become certain it was a dud cop. My friend was not weaving in and out of traffic and other cars were pretty close behing and a few moments esrlier a couple of bikes over took us.

When I told people at work today and my friends intial response to the guy on the bike:

Guy on bike aka so-called cop: Do you know that this a 30 mph zone sir, or something close to that.

Friend: Don't worry too much about mate, and moved.

:)

I pray the man was not a real cop as if he was, he would be parasite that gives all good officers a bad name.

I bet you if the people in the car were thugs, or appeared to be hugs, the man would not have bothered.

IMO, people using mobile phones when driving are a great danger.

Today a woman in a RAV4 cut me up on the A4 heading towards Heathrow by the Chiswick roundabout - she never indicated and then a s I wentt along side her, at that stage I noted the phone to the ear. Straight away one flash og my indicator and I pulled out in front of her and that slowed her down even more but she never came off the phone. :(
> In reply to Thommo

{Message snipped once more as per the 'Responding to posts' message - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=42612 - DD}

A very sensible post!

Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Micky
Off duty Plod wouldn't get involved in a minor traffic offence that he could never prove, so it must have been a nutter.
Off duty Plod wouldn't get involved in a minor traffic offence
that he could never prove, so it must have been a
nutter.

Agreed!
1. "Frien'ds car, an Audi A4, FSi I think on a 56 plate. Friend in smart causal gear and looks like a bank worker, but in a fact Care Manager for the local Social Services. Me and my our 2 friends, all very smartly dressed and groomed. No load music, no smoking, no flash strips on cars or blacked out windows. Us three did not utter a word."

2. "Looks like my friend was caught out be an ex/retired/real of duty/con cop. Having shared my views here, it has helped me in the fact that I did not know that a non unifired cop could not stop your car or get you to admit to speeding easipically this guy was. Importantly, you could press charges against the off duty cop for causing you anexietystress/etc!"

3. "Re the gun you mention - I was stopped in the USA about 4/5 years ago on the Interstate 4 making our way to Miami doing about a hundred in a 70 zone. When I was pulled over I apologised when the officer pointed out it was a 70 zone. I said that back in GB, we were allowed to exceed speed limits on Motorways/Interstates by 40mph conditons permitting and was igornant of their law and apologised again. The officer let me off and we soon started our journey touching 100/120 at times!"

I do see a picture emerging here:

1. Prince Naseem is a very snappy dresser and had a rather nice car - didnt stop him almost killing someone!

2. IF he was an 'off duty' officer as I have explained your powers extend 24/7 therefore he had every right to speak to and question your friend and was acting in the execution of his duty. Might have stretched his powers a bit. He would We dont 'press charges' in England we make complaints! Stress, anxiety , oh dear oh dear!

3.You do appear to consider speeding as a law to be broken with impunity whether in England or America.
--
Fullchat
>> 3.You do appear to consider speeding as a law to be
broken with impunity whether in England or America.
--
Fullchat

Most drivers do. But rest assured that in side roads and when the spped limit used to be 30, i normally drove at 20 mph or less as children could easily run between cars and fools swing open their car doors as you approach their car.

Sppeding in many circunstances is a lot safer than using the hand held mobile or trying to read apaepr/map, or driving a un-road worth ehicle and with no tax, ins,etc.

Speeding is safer that weaving in and out of traffic and jumping red lights.
2. IF he was an 'off duty' officer as I
have explained your powers extend 24/7 therefore he had every right
to speak to and question your friend and was acting in
the execution of his duty. Might have stretched his powers a
bit.

i disagree, i don't think this is 'in the execution of his duty'.......... not off duty for more minor offences... I see it as 'abuse of authority' or 'bringing the force into disrepute'...both discipline offences under the police discipline code

i disagree, i don't think this is 'in the execution of
his duty'..........

defo, yes.
Dynamic Dave, Polo Girl et al

Can this thread be locked. There is no point of any more discussion. The offence relates to driving at upto 50mph in a built up area (i.e. 30mph) and that is not disputed. AudiAudi thinks driving at 100mph on a 70mph Interstate also okay. It is irrelevant if the motorbike rider was a police officer or not.

This thread is serving no purpose what so ever. Maybe even delete it.
Dynamic Dave, Polo Girl et al
Can this thread be locked. There is no point of any
more discussion. The offence relates to driving at upto 50mph in
a built up area (i.e. 30mph) and that is not disputed.
AudiAudi thinks driving at 100mph on a 70mph Interstate also okay.
It is irrelevant if the motorbike rider was a police officer
or not.
This thread is serving no purpose what so ever. Maybe even
delete it.

Att self appointed Mod

Does honesty count for nothing?

Even on the UK motorways lorry drivers limited to 56mph regualarly break 70mph down hill as well as cpach drivers.

Most car drivers crusie around 80/85 and the police do not norammly bother.

In the very early 1960's the speed limit was set at 70. 46 years on, even the humble Ford Fiesta is more than capable of 100mph safely.

So you want honesty and freedom of speech withdrawn???

Is ther anyone here that will openly admit to using their non hands free mobile whilst driving or breaking the speed limit?

Are you that old guy on the motor bike or a 'Speical'?
The consequences of driving at 50mph in a 30mph built up area are very different to 80mph on a motorway. No pedestrians etc. on a motorway for one.

Higher up in the thread you claim you do 20mph in 30 zones in case someone steps out. But here in a 30 zone it's okay to do 50??

This smells like a troll to me.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Micky
">'off duty' <"

Yes, "stood down" rather than "off duty".

But no "stood down" Plod would become involved with a minor speeding offence, particularly with several potential hostile witnesses. Unless Plod was an enthusiastic hobby booby perhaps?
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Thommo
With Micky on this one. HIGH possibility it was a 'special'.

Despised by real coppers so not that much of an issue.
Totally agree no copper would bother with a minor infringement when 'off duty'. BUT what if the circumstances were not minor and we only have one persons word on that.
Im just trying to paint a different picture to that originally descrbed. And yes it may have been an over zealous copper, or a special or a total bake. And thats my last word some are obviously getting bored.
--
Fullchat
"I said that back in GB, we were allowed to exceed speed limits on Motorways by 40mph conditons permitting ."

What rubbish.

" The officer let me off and we soon started our journey touching 100/120 at times!"

You are an idiot, and an irresponsible and incorrigable one at that.

Please delete entire thread mods, only regret that I was drawn into the "discussion" last night. How gullible am I

--
Phil
PhilW. Glad someone feeling the same as I do about how the thread has gone.
This thread, more and more, resembles the contestants in X-Factor who rant and rave because the judges tell them that they are no where near as good as their friends and family tell them.

The more they insist that they have the X-Factor, the more amused we are and the more ridiculous they appear.
Off duty cop, stops speeding car scenari - Dynamic Dave

I think this thread has gone as far as it can go - with regard to the advice that has been posted.

Before it starts to descend into more ranting and petty arguments than it already has -

Thread Locked.

DD.