Vectra DI engine management light - Richard P
Over the last week or so I have noticed the engine management light briefly light up on several occasions. It stays on for about 2 seconds, then goes off again. I looked in the handbook which states something like' if the light temporarily shows then this is of no significance'. The car runs great and consistantly returns about 49 mpg. I am not concerned about this, but why does the light come on? Is the ecu making some adjustments? I have a tuning box fitted btw, which I guess could be to blame! Any general experiences of this? Thanks
Re: Vectra DI engine management light - Bono Estente
Since nobody else has arrived at this one yet, I'll have stab at this too, but only to say that if GM has seen fit to bother to write this in the handbook, then you are right to consider this as normal running.

(In reading the handbook you must be in a small minority. The book for the Opel Monza I had not long ago made the unusual request that it should be "driven backwards with the handbrake half on" once in a while. The family that owned it previously [probably] didn't read it, or else thought GM were taking the piss. Result was the handbrake drum was expensively knacked).
Re: Vectra DI engine management light - Alf
Any chance of a name and number for the tuning box company please?
Re: Vectra DI engine management light - Richard P
Sure, point your browser at www.bromleystuning.com I have a 'Kueberl' tuning box fitted with good results. More low down power and the car goes like a rocket when required, the mid-range pull is great! I am certainly no racer BTW (I am a member of the IAM) and I still average between 48-52 mpg. The only niggle with the box is that there is a surge of power when the accelerator pedal is at about 2 thirds of it's travel, at any speed or in any gear. This takes a bit of getting use to, but some engines respond slightly differently to these devices and this may just be with my particular car. Generally I am a pleased customer of Bromleys tuning in Chorley. The box plus fitting was about £480, a bit pricy really, but I intend to keep my car (2000 'W' Vectra DI LS saloon) for several years to come anyway. I think I deserve some commission! :0)
Re: Vectra DI engine management light - Todd
£480 for a tuning box?!!! Thats the funniest thing I've heard in ages!!! They contain about £5 worth of parts at most!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!
Ok then Todd, where do I join the queue for your £5 tuning box, cheque or cash?
If I was going to make them, they'd be £480 as well :) That way I'd make £475 profit!!
Todd,

Oh I see, so the funny part is that you are not making the £475 profit then?
The engine management light is likely the pump receiving an "implausible signal" from the needle position sender, or whatever GM call it. In otherwords, the tuning box is adjusted too aggressively. Be careful it doesn't go into limp mode halfway through an overtaking manoeuvre. The surge you get is what the box is designed to do!! The box is designed to kick in at the same time as the turbo. Weren't you explained that?
Re: Vectra DI engine management light - Richard P
There is more to the effects of the Tuning Box than just more poke when you floor the accelerator! The car picks up very well from even 900rpm in high gears just by touching the accelerator! I can make excellent progress without going over 3000 rpm if I want, and the slight surge actually seems to come in 'at the right time' just when you need it. I have had this box fitted for about 10K miles with no problems whatsoever. It does not just 'kick in' when the turbo is spooled up. This car actually is one of the turbo diesels I have driven which suffers form virtually no turbo lag whatsoever. A happy 'tuning box' user!